Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SacDuc Reporting:

So Joel is going to be reading this board one day. While he balls his eyes out like a nine year old girl, but still he will read it. And knowing Joel's innate sense of modesty (as well as his blockheadness, "specialness", and his mild cognative impairment) he will ask himself, "Er . . . wut'd I do to deserve this?" And even though it would be obvious even to a big dope, I think Joel might need a little help understanding exactly why it is that so many people (even people he's never met that live 3,000 miles away) would put their time, money and caring into a little token that we all hope will do nothing more that make him a little extra happy on his wedding day. I mean, ****, slowpoke crashed his bike and we didn't do **** for him. [cheeky] (love ya' pokey :-* )

So this is your chance to get a bit mushy and share with everyone, but with good ol' BP in particular, your favorite moment(s) with the man himself. If you haven't met him in person please feel free to link to a thread of his that meant something to you.

As for Melissa and I, we have a bunch (some involve oyster shooters and waaay too much booze and these moments will never be spoken of again). But as we sit here we are thinking about all of the times we hung out with BP in Sacramento, Concord and SF. There were a bunch. The dude lives in Bakersfield for the christ sake. But that's the thing, he ALWAYS makes the effort. He will go out of his way to hang out with you if you are lucky enough. In adddition to Sacramento, Concord and SF I've hung out with Joel in Santa Barbara, Bakersfield and LA. All over the goddamn state really (this is making us realize that we need to go visit him again soon). And everytime we see him he is in a good mood and just wants everyone around him to be having a good time.

He made the trip up to Sacto to start Toasty on his travels. He brought my bike down from Grio's pad to Bakersfield. He brought us a bitchin' bottle of tequila for a house warming gift. I could go on and on. But one of the best things his done is introduce us to a whole slew of other really great DMLers. Knowing Joel is like knowing a secret handshake or something. When you meet someone and they know you hang out with Joel, you are given the benifit of the doubt. Not many people like that I tells ya'.

And, ya' know, he has something worth while to say every now and then. Then again a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then too, so that may just be luck. Either way, he's a damn nice guy and Melissa and I are both very happy to know him, very happy that he will be attending our wedding and very honored that we will be attending his.

Cheers.

Carl and Melissa

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
ok...here's Knights Story TM

i had been on the board for a while, I had made friends, I had bullshited with many many people. I had even made "friends" with a few. Then comes this new guy with a cat who he referred to himself as the fater or papa of. WTF is that about, that's one of the gayest thigns i have ever seen on these here intarwebs, and i've seen a lot...ok, so he turns out to be a decent guy, he rides a mtn bike and seems to really enjoy it. I never really had a lot of interaction with him on the board, we just kind of co-existed. bnlame it on my paranoia and east coast instant distrust of anyone who seems "nice" despite being a "nice guy" myself. (shut up, it's my dam story! :p)

so one day i decide to rent a motorcycle in las vegas. i had about 4 hrs of sleep and 40 gallons of rum the previous 2 days so i was nicely hungover and very tired by this point. i get to the place bright and early at 9am but for some reason my debit card woudln't work. i called the bank, i got stuff cleared from the acct, i told them i am in posession of my card...it still wouldnt' work. after a few hrs of standing around in the rental place for a few hrs and with my cell phone dying i made a desperation call to slowpoke who posted that i needed help. maybe an hr later i get a call from california, some guy introduces himself as joel from the DML...my cell dies completely at this point and i think i'm boned yet again. then the rental place gets a call. it's joel asking if i'm ok and what he can do. all i really needed was a ride back to my hotel. since he was about 6 hrs away he couldn't do that so he offered to give the place his credit card # and have them give me cash.
the manager didnt' think this was a good idea. Joel asks to speak to the manager that denied me just seconds before. not 5 min goes by and the lady is runnign a card number throught he maching and then hands me money. I am amazed. just minutes before she was staunchly refusing to do this. i ask, "what did you say?!"
the reply i got was "jedi mind trick. you get back to your hotel safe." i can only imagine the grin accompanying that on the other end of the line.
this guy that i have never met and rarely spoken to just saved my ass when iw as stranded 3000 miles from home. my jaw still drops thinkign about that to this day. on the cab ride home (9 hrs after i got there) all i could thingk about as the cabbie was tellign me how he lived under a bridge for 4 years to disconnect from society and "get off the grid" and generally making me wish i had jsut walked the 15 miles back to the hotel in my sidis, all i could think about was how i could ever pay this joel guy back.
i bought him a big pack of strawberry milkshake pop-tarts since he wouldn't allow me to send him money. it was aroudn then that i finally after 27 years of being told you reap 10 times what you sew understood that saying. i had to do more for this man that bailed my sorry ass out of trouble when he had never met me and barely had interaction with me on the board. he was even going to send me the pop-tart alarm clock he got with the proof of purchases from the pop-tarts i sent him! i flat out refused to take that and told him it was all his, he earned it for being such a nice guy.

when i announced that i was going to vegas again about 6 months ago he sent me his cell number in a PM. by now i had realized that he was just a genuinely nice guy who only wanted to help and make other people happy. if he had only helped me, or hadn't helped me and was jsut such a swell guy i would still feel that he deserves whatever it takes to make him happy. and despite all of the pitfalls, tials, and tribulatiosn he has experienced he is still way too upbeat for someone who doens't do drugs. ;) ;D

this is why i feel it is worth whatever the price is it go out and meet him on his wedding day. it's nto because he wants to feel important due to the number of people that show up, it's not that he wants to be able to call in a favor due to his previois actions. it's that he did everything out of the kindness and goodliness of his heart. i might be an asshole, but that means something very important to me. i have been wanting to meet him and at elast chake his hand for over a year now. he was goign to come to vegas to meet me a month ago, but due to his ex-wife that fell through. i will find a way to make it out there to meet him. it's the least i can do.

so there you go, full of horrid typing and bad grammar. ;D

thanks again man, all you have to do is say the word and i will find a way to help you.
only 4 other people have gotten this promise, and 2 of them are my parents..anytime, anyplace, any reason...if i can't do it myself, i will find someone who can help you out of whatever jam you are in.

enough mushy...let's beat up kids and old people or something. ;)

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Joel, who's joel?

you mean the whack job with the gay cat?

Ah yes, i remember that guy 8)

My memories of "joel" are few

mostly boxes that show up to work that freak the staff out

because they tick or set the metal detectors off

and a particular one that is occuring right now where his "desires"

are screwing up a perfectly good subterfuge

when you read this you bastard

this is me kicking you in the nuts

1098 ::)

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Mother said:
Joel, who's joel?

you mean the whack job with the gay cat?

Ah yes, i remember that guy 8)

My memories of "joel" are few

mostly boxes that show up to work that freak the staff out

because they tick or set the metal detectors off

and a particular one that is occuring right now where his "desires"

are screwing up a perfectly good subterfuge

when you read this you bastard

this is me kicking you in the nuts

1098 ::)
Stuff shows up at your place too?

Zeke has toys he can't play with till he's 6.

But I can. >:D

1098 indeed.....

Ya bastid. ;D

·
Registered
13,974 Posts
I've never met Joel in person but I don't need to in order to know what a good guy he is. Before I even had any dealings with him, I knew he was special. Not too many folks in this world are as selfless as him, especially not people who have gone through what he has. That makes him extra special. He's not a bitter man, or an angry man... most who have experienced what he has, would be.

Then there's his generosity. I've seen it, but I hadn't experienced it until recently. I saw a post he put up in the classified section for art that he had made and was in need to get rid of for space. The talent this guy has is amazing... I couldn't believe he could be so talented and be so quiet about it. So yes, add humble to the list of Joel's many positive traits.

Well, I PMed him about two pieces of art, and didn't know what to offer him. Long story short, he told me to go ahead and lowball him, because it wasn't possible. I couldn't believe it. In the end, I still haven't made him an offer because I feel so weird picking a number for something he created. But that's just the way Joel works, I guess.

So Joel, shut the eff up and enjoy your m750. You freakin deserve it. I'm not saying you deserve it more or less than others, but you have affected US and WE want you to have a physical token of our appreciation and admiration of you. That's all. So accept it, and ride it, and remember us as we remember you all the time.

-Ash

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great stories! :D Let's keep 'em coming. Remember, Joel will be reading this. Let him know you love him for more than just his body.

sac

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Don't know him.
Might never know him. I'd like to go to his wedding and meet him, but I'm pretty ****in busy, and he's going to be dog-piled by people so I probably can't sit down for a beer with him anyway, and I'm not so good at being cool in crowds...
But here it goes:
Maybe he's a real ****head in real life,
but on the internet, he should be a role model for everyone.
Just about everything he does is decent at the minimum, borderline saintly on occasion.

I like dogs, and feel good about myself for picking one up from the pound, but then this guy goes out and literally grabs one from the clutches of death (well, he sends his girlfriend out to do the dangerous stuff, but I'm sure he would have been sad if she got hurt), spends a shitload of time and money, nurses it back to health then gives it the life most dogs dream of.

I like kids, and I feel pretty good about myself for taking care of the kids in my "village," (friends and family). Then this cat-lover goes out and combines 2 of the greatest things ever for a kid (motorcycles and santa claus) and makes 500 kids day brighter.
Knights right, what sow is what you reap, and this cat has sowed a **** load of good deeds, and I hope that this is just the start of a long harvest season.

Hopefully this bike (I will now refer to it as the Mons-tour since Joel went out and bought a ****in twisty-missle) will allow Joel to make it up the NW way, beers are on me.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
polpetta said:
Great stories! :D Let's keep 'em coming. Remember, Joel will be reading this. Let him know you love him for more than just his body.

sac
Nope.............

That's it.

It's his body.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Hell IM not sure why I like him. Ever since I met him, all Ive done is work on his bikes. ;D

That said I will continue to do so very happily [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
Here we go,

One night while surfing the DML, I came across this http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=58643.0 and had met Joel before at IBN II in Santa Monica. The LA monster get together. I had some free time and figured what he laid out would be fun.

So Joel and I got back and forth about how to get it done and decide he"ll bring the parts down from Bakersfield (bit over 100 miles one way). He leaves me the parts and I do the necessary prep work and call him and tell him when I'm gonna paint becuase he has to mail me the decals, well he decides to bring them down andwants to play a active roll in the painting, laying out the pattern, and then some help in choosing the color for the "ghosted" Ducati in the white stripe.

He gets to the shop around 6pm and I've already laid the black foundation down and coated that with an intercoat clear and sanded that. As some of you know and for those that don't here's the fun part, watching paint dry :-\. So joel and I are sitting around taliking stiping and watching the paint dry. We finish around 10-10:30 (really bad memory when it comes to time) run the parts through a bake cycle and off Joel goes with his newly recoated bike (gas proof) now.

It was really cool to have done that for him and great to make a new friend. Since then I've been the recipient of a few really good Mexican lunches and the same good company. ;D

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
His sense of humor is, at times, astounding.
Humor, I feel, is one of the purest emotions one can feel. Anytime you can put a smile on another's face, whether that face that of a cashier at the supermarket unhappy after a long day of dealing with shitheads or thousands of miles away reading something funny on the internet, you have done a good deed that day. Joel consistently nails it on the head and quite often will catch you off guard with some great one-liner that comes out of left field.
Secondly, he is very insightful and based off his "from-the-heart" postings is very self-aware and stresses about how he is impacting others. In this selfish backstabbing world of ours, these are as rare and commendable attributes as you could ever hope to find.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Shortly after my accident, I was bored outa my mind, upping my post count and BP asks me if I'd like a little pick me up. I say sure, and in the mail about a week later, I get a 998s Model and a box of Joel's trademarked PopTarts.

[thumbsup]

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Never met the guy, don't know him, haven't interacted with him at all, haven't even seen a picture of him. Just doing a good thing for a fellow rider.

Ride safe Joel. [thumbsup]

Dan

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Joel is one of those guys you just want to be around. They few times If ridden with him and hung out have been great. You get the impression that he relishes the little things in life, and wants to share the good times with you as well.

I would have to say the best moment for me was on the day we did the Santa Barbra ride:

7:30 am, sunny and nice, tucked down, 110 mph, him holding back so I could keep up. He doesn't showboat, sets a pace that everyone is comfortable at, and when you get to your destination, he always has a smile on his face that makes you forget the pain of the ride, and forces you to remember the thrill, and the reason: man, machine, road = freedom and self.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My favorite BP moment would have to be the look on his face when we threw him a surprise birthday party.

I had been planning the party for a few weeks with the help of LM and Derby. I even made a toaster cake!

We came up with a story, thanks to the help of Red Baron, to lure him to one of the SoCal crew's house. The plan was to meet at 12 or so, and LM would bring BP over about 1.

About 11:30, I get a frantic phone call. LM is hiding somewhere at the Getty. BP had decided to surprise her with tickets! People are already on their way to the party and the guest of honor has inadvertently foiled the plan.

We start working to come up with a plan. Should Michelle fake a stomach ache? Should we lie and say someone had an accident? Should we just tell him that he is having a birthday party right now that he is missing?

So we are all sitting around the kitchen, eating chips and salsa. 12 goes by. 1 goes by. 2 goes by. We finally receive word that Michelle has a "headache" and they are leaving the Getty. Red Baron puts his plan in motion and Joel is finally on the way!

They pull up...we kill the lights and try to not giggle. He walks in, passes the room we were in (his back was to us do to the layout of the house)and we yelled "surprise"! He turned around, and had this look of shock/happiness/embarassment that I can't describe. There were even a couple of tears. He had to turn around and walk away to collect himself. It was awesome. :D

http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=71227.0

My second favorite BP moment is when he announced in the middle of our project that he was thinking about buying a monster. Leave it to him to ruin his own surprise. ;)

BP & LM define "good people". They are the most genuine people that I have ever met. They are kind, generous, and are two of the most thoughtful people I have ever met.

Congratulations BP & LM!!

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
i can't say that i have a particular favorite BP moment...
i've never met the guy, but i've heard so much.

he's convinced me that there are good people in Bakersfield... or at least 1 good person

his posts almost always seem to bring a smile. It's unfortunate that he has his down moments as well, and i really feel for the guy. I wish there was something i could do to help him out, but he always pulls through (he's got a 1098 now, the facker).

but even with his recent purchase, i can't think of anyone else on this board who deserves this bike more.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
my favorite BP moment is the one i realized just how genuine this guy can be.
i can't count the times he has made me laugh and cry.
i've never met him either, but i can't think of anyone who deserves our little gift more than joel.

cheers to BP and LM!
may you grow old together...

melissa

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
I think my favorite bp moment is yet to come.

Hard telling not knowing.

It might be the first time I see him smile at Zeke.

Maybe when he vows to Michelle.

I'll let you know.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts