Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to find info on these forks for quite a wile and have come up short, so far :( This is what I know: Marzocchi non adjustable, 43mm USD. That's it. What I want to know is where can I find springs for them ( usual places like Traxxion, Sonic, Race tech etc. do not list S2R in their "find springs for your bike" sections")

At Ducati should be ashamed of themselves to ship a bike with 40 mm of static sag ::) (that is just the motorcycle, no rider :eek:)

Anyway I am planing to change the springs and play around with oil viscosity and level to adjust dumping. I would greatly appreciate any advice and FHE you might have.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Funny thing is measuring static rider sag on it would seems that 15 mm of preload would take care of both(if it is safe to assume that rider sag would also diminish of 15 mm)

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This are my measurements : Front Static sag = 40
Rider sag = 58

Back Static sag = 15
Rider sag = 43

So what I'm thinking : front looks like 15 mm spacer would do bringing static to 25 and rider to 43 (I am suspicious though)
Back bump up preload 5 mm

I am suspicious because of my 225 lb geared up.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Yeah, our forks suck. I think you'd be better off getting a superbike front end off ebay and work on that. I've been watch ebay for them and they are fairly common and reasonably priced.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MonsterDuc said:
Yeah, our forks suck.

[laugh] [laugh] I agree and I have been looking at alternative too. However I have non heard of anyone trying to set them up properly. I think the will never be Ohlins but could be a lot better. Remember that no mater what you end up with (a part brand new Ohlins) you still have to set them up, and after that adjustability is moot.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
typically the marzocchi forks have progreesive springs, and they're very soft at the start. so you'll need to add more than expected preload. the other problem is that by the time you have the preload right it may have a very high spring rate nearing full compression. we'd normally just replace them with a 0.80 - 0.90 rate spring depending on your weight and use 10 weight oil. racetech, etc will have springs for them. at worst pull them out and measure them.

i'm not sure if these late forks are cartridge or not - so you may be able to get them revalved as well.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Marzocchis unfortunately have a sealed cartridge and cannot be revalved :p. I seems that new springs and heavier grade oil is the(only) way to go. I am in contact with Mike Hardy at Traxxion Dynamics and he has a set of springs with spacers and instuctions for $ 125. I think a will try it.

This is the setting he sudgests:
Free Sag (Static) = 20mm

Rider Sag = 35mm

·
Banned
1,235 Posts
yup

I have been riding in 30-35* temps here and the forks feel a lot better than they did during the summer. especially first thing in the morning. I am guessing the cold is causing the fork oil to loose a little viscosity.

once the temps rise again, I'll probably switch to 15 or 20 weight fork oil. Also maybe some heavier springs...

Q

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lucky you I would take anything, even if it is temporary [laugh] When I got the bike i thought the fork was OK not great but OK. I don't know if I just got more comfy with the Duc and I am pushing it a little more or if the fork deteriorated as somebody mentioned happened to him in another post :-\

·
Registered
125 Posts
take the forks out and turn the springs upside down. then add 10-15 wt oil. i used 10wt and filled them full with the 400cc the manual states, almost didnt budge for me, 175lbs. pulled the forks and tried 275cc of 10wt, massive difference. the springs are progressive and the close wound end was at the top of mine from the factory. there is much to be gained from playing with the forks, obviously adjustable bits would be best but you can improve what you have. take a look at hyper pro, those will be my replacement springs when the time comes.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the tip. I checked out the site but I had the same problem I had with all other spring vendors: they don't list any bike that has the Marzocchi 43mm forks. I guess I will have to contact them by phone and see if they have something that is not on the site.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts