Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi boys and girls,

What's the correct way to set the rear shock (no adjustment on front of course)?
I did a search and found nothing on the subject.

Thanks,

Ara

·
Registered
121 Posts
rule62 said:
After reading this link, I'm all confused now. Regarding rear rebound damping, I thought HARD meant FAST and SOFT meant SLOW. From this info, it seems to be the other way around.

I just did a test on my S2R on a certain section of a freeway which makes my bike 'pogo'. I went from the stock setting of 18 clicks from Hard to 10 clicks from Hard. Doing this got rid of the 'pogoing' when riding. The pogo effect actually went away at 15 clicks but as I increased the hardness it seems to get a little bit better but not sure. I cannot feel the 'pack' effect when having too hard of a setting. Should I have stopped when I got rid of the pogo at 15? My weight is 163# with full gear. What other S2R owners have their rear rebound damping set at?

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
desmo7 said:
After reading this link, I'm all confused now. Regarding rear rebound damping, I thought HARD meant FAST and SOFT meant SLOW. From this info, it seems to be the other way around.

I just did a test on my S2R on a certain section of a freeway which makes my bike 'pogo'. I went from the stock setting of 18 clicks from Hard to 10 clicks from Hard. Doing this got rid of the 'pogoing' when riding. The pogo effect actually went away at 15 clicks but as I increased the hardness it seems to get a little bit better but not sure. I cannot feel the 'pack' effect when having too hard of a setting. Should I have stopped when I got rid of the pogo at 15? My weight is 163# with full gear. What other S2R owners have their rear rebound damping set at?
If you want to speed up wheel travel, you reduce the amount of damping regardless of direction of travel.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not sure if my wife's (DML'er Larakat) bike is typical of the S2R1000 but she was about 125lbs +/- and her rear sag measured at around 41mm which is way to much. We set it at about 30mm of sag by adding a few mm of preload to the shock. I believe the rear rebound is set at around 6 or 7. The front was also a little off and we turned in the preload a 1/2 turn and went in 1 click to 5 out on the rebound.

We took a nice 130 mile trip through some of our back roads this past Sunday and she loved the way the bike handled. The pogoing is completely gone and the bike is much more planted on take offs and stops.

If I'm not mistaken, the shock on the S2R 1K is the same as on the 800. Get your sag set, it will help a lot.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks xerces for the info but I think the S2R1000 has a different rear shock than the S2R 800. I only have preload and rebound damping. My sag is all set but just need to do the rebound. My stock rebound setting is 18 clicks from stiff and have set it to 16 and feels pretty good. I will see after a 260 mile ride this weekend.

·
Registered
33 Posts
desmo7 said:
Thanks xerces for the info but I think the S2R1000 has a different rear shock than the S2R 800. I only have preload and rebound damping. My sag is all set but just need to do the rebound. My stock rebound setting is 18 clicks from stiff and have set it to 16 and feels pretty good. I will see after a 260 mile ride this weekend.
The S2R1000 only has preload and rebound too. To me, it looks exactly the same as the one that was on the 620 Larakat had, which pogoed pretty good too. The S2R 1K's also have a stock rebound setting of 18 clicks.

Do yourself a favor and get a helper and get that sag checked and set at around 30mm if it isn't all ready.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for the info on your S2R1K. I thought they had compression damping on that bike. I think I'll take your advice and take it to a reputable shop that knows what they're doing. I heard it's like $30 and will be money well spent.

·
Registered
33 Posts
desmo7 said:
Thanks for the info on your S2R1K. I thought they had compression damping on that bike. I think I'll take your advice and take it to a reputable shop that knows what they're doing. I heard it's like $30 and will be money well spent.
Depending on how you value your money and how intimate you want to be with your bike, I'd recommend finding a friend or two to help you out and checking/setting the sag yourself. Its very easy to do and empowers you with knowledge and understanding. It can even make your riding more enjoyable if you understand what your bike wants.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
xerces said:
Depending on how you value your money and how intimate you want to be with your bike, I'd recommend finding a friend or two to help you out and checking/setting the sag yourself. Its very easy to do and empowers you with knowledge and understanding. It can even make your riding more enjoyable if you understand what your bike wants.

+11tyBillion!

Everytime I do something on my Duc, I feel better about my riding, my bike, and what the hell I'm doing in this game.
I don't want to NOT know the whys. Then someone can tell me something stupid, and I won't know better.

And wrenching is good for the soul. >:D

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks but I've done a fair amount of wrenchin as I installed my Zard exhaust myself and felt very satisfied afterwards. I don't know too much though about bike suspensions and wanted a pro to maximize what I have, like front and rear height as well. When they are messing with my bike, I will be asking a LOT of questions on why and I'm sure they'll be more than happy to explain. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts