Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Setting Squish?

3K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Retro 
G
#1 ·
Here is a question for anyone who has installed HC pistons or a 944 kit on their 2v. Did you bother to check/set the squish and if so, what was the standard setting (1mm?)?
Is anyone using a squish setting besides the standard?

TIA

G
#2 ·
Since I am doing a 944 kit a good tuner/engine builder I talked to said he usually doesn't bother...he sorta calls that detail and gets it in the tuning rather than the detail....he mentioned Sigma Performance is squeezing a little juice out of the detail work.
I think Chris (Ca-Cycleworks) on the board is doing his Monster now.
Otherwise Bruce at BCM or Manley Cycle has done plenty of 944kits.

#6 ·
AFAIK, the term originally was 'squish band', a ring shaped area on a two-stroke engine's piston-head interface.

Just did a calculation:

Assuming your 944 pistons are going to give you a 10:1 CR ( I don't know what the claimed CR is, just using 10:1 as an example ). If your squish is 0.010" more than 'design', then the actual CR goes down to 9.7:1.

I'd check 'em just to make sure they were close to each other, and if they were different I'd set up the vertical cylinder with the lower CR, as it runs hotter than the horizontal cylinder.

I've run .040" to .050" on a 981cc Yamaha V-Twin, and it seemed to work OK. It never hit. But, it was a Nitrous motor, so there wasn't a lot of finesse involved in that part of the setup, and piston life was really short.....

My $.02.

G
#8 ·
hmm I don't know if 1mm is normal or not, getting different gaskets is one reason the tuner I talked to did not bother, and
one of the reason's he mentioned Neil Spalding at Sigma in UK.
cuz he was using different gaskets, and changing the band, not sure what bike's in general, I assume SBK's....the inference seemed to be getting different gaskets was possible but not easily accessible?
I would also think Martin-Brickwood (MBP) would be a good source.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.