Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
F**K ME !! This forum gets more posts than the rest of the board...at ANY time of day ! and now we have Davey posting from the bloody sky!!

I work in IT and this sh*t is just getting out of hand!! Time to become a regular luddite !! ;D ;D

ps. don't even think of trying to cancel my bigpond connection!

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Juzzie said:
Hah better introduce myself then. BTW I have heard they have patches now for the bling addiction ;)
I think we better get melvin a subscription! >:D

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
mostro900 said:
F**K ME !! This forum gets more posts than the rest of the board...at ANY time of day ! and now we have Davey posting from the bloody sky!!

I work in IT and this sh*t is just getting out of hand!! Time to become a regular luddite !! ;D ;D

ps. don't even think of trying to cancel my bigpond connection!
Look at your post count - 2 weeks ago (or so) you just tipped 100!

And I am not far behind!

And to think that someone sometime ago posted that the downunder forum was really quiet (and it was) - look now.. before you know it we will have 4000+ posts, like the dudes who hand out late night in NMC..

·
Registered
491 Posts
Posting from the sky is the only way to fly

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
nickors said:
Hi all,

Seeking opinions from the experienced with servicing in Sydney.

I have an 800ie 04 model and need to organise the 10K service.Have done the ring around to the following:

Gowanlochs
Duc Penrith
Frasers
Northside.

From others' posts, it seems that either Gowanlochs or Penrith are the recommended ones in Sydney. Gowanlochs is certainly easier for me to get to.

Now here's the thing. Some say that the belts do not need to be replaced, others say that they may depending on how old the bike is - they say its either 20Kms or 2 Years, which ever first. Anyone have any knowledge which is right?

Also, they are all quoting about $800 for the service, which seems pretty excessive to me. What have others found? Is there anyopne else I should ring...

Thanks in advance,

Nick
I can do the job for you for under half the price for you!
I did the 20k service on my 900s before I sold it!
The only thing I cant do which Gowanloch and northside can also not do is the check on the computer for the injection/ignition.
If the bike has no stalling/ surging problems I would not worry about it as the computer is self adjusting.
The belts are around $60 a piece. A quick inspection can tell if they need replacing.
Shimming takes time thats why it costs so much.
If your interested give me a yell. You can be there when the job is being done also so you know the job is done properly!
Rob.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Rob,
I've just done 13,000kms, but for my next service, I will certainly take you up on your offer. I'd like to be able to do it myself, so wouldn't mind being "involved" if you know what I mean. Long time to go before that though.... [thumbsup]

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
nickors said:
And to think that someone sometime ago posted that the downunder forum was really quiet (and it was) - look now.. before you know it we will have 4000+ posts, like the dudes who hand out late night in NMC..

well, dear nick.......you're too modest
it all has improved since this little info:

nickors said:
Just in case you don't know (as I didn't for a while) we have a Hooligans Down Under section for Aussie based posts in the Local Clubs Section of the board.

For any people living in Sydney, check this out if you want to get tgether for a ride:
http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php/topic,44610.0.html

Cheers
Nick

i for one didn't know as i was spending all my time on the mode forum - go figure  ;D
and the others followed

so there you go
it's all thanks to you  [thumbsup]

but now good'ol melvin is going to take a nap with his face on the keybord and volume up so i know when new posts will be coming in - yankee's are about to get up  ;D
tomorrow early morning melvin is going to eastern creek for some 4 wheels V8 driving action

over&out, monster mates

cheers!
melvin  >:D

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
BigIan I feel for you! :'(

If you need a hand to piece the bike together I can help you out. [thumbsup](I love a challenge like this)

Nick I did 20k service on my last bike and I bought: 2 x Belts
4 x tappet cover gaskets
1 x oil filter
5 litres of expensive oil.
All this only cost around $200.
Shims if need to be replaced are around $15 each but most of the time you can take a couple of thou off the shims with wet and dry paper. This is what they do at Frasers as they told me they do this too!

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
DUCMONROB said:
Rob, update, I got the 10K for $450 or so from Flywheels - no belts for the 10K.
Seemed pretty good compared to the others! And was very happy with Rons attention and his give-a-**** factor.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
melvin said:
i resent this slanderous comment :eek:

.....and it is melvin
You resent or resemble ::) ;D

My humble apologies for my typing. I certainly did not intend to offend the bling king! It has been fixed...

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
funny guy  ;D
it's easy for you to say, you can type with your spell-check off  [laugh]

now me, the fair dinkum aussie kid ..........well,that's a different story  [laugh] ........... mate  [laugh]

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
DUCMONROB said:

<snip>

If your interested give me a yell. You can be there when the job is being done also so you know the job is done properly!
+11ty billion.

If any of you are considering doing your own servicing but are put off by the desmo valves, take Rob up on this offer! Checking valve clearances isn't hard, its just different. If you have someone show you or walk you through it once, you'll be wondering why the hell you kept spending $700 at a dealer to do it for you...

big (and think how much better that can make the bling budget!)

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
DUCMONROB said:
BigIan I feel for you! :'(

If you need a hand to piece the bike together I can help you out. [thumbsup](I love a challenge like this)
Thanks, but its been back together for over 60,000km now :)

Shims if need to be replaced are around $15 each but most of the time you can take a couple of thou off the shims with wet and dry paper.
You need to make friends with Mike at Gowies - he's perfectly happy to let you go through his collection of (thousands) of second hand shims and swap yours over for one that are the size you need for free. Mike's a _really_ good guy!

big

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
bigiain said:
Mike's a _really_ good guy!
From the little I know of him, I would have to agree.

Story: nickors just bought his (second hand) monster, and after a week or so, noticed a small amount of oil leaking onto the pipe. Being an inexperienced but keen home mechanic, I did manage to trace it to around the oil filter, and figured that the filter was overtightened and the seal was stuffed. I figured that I'd just replace the filter myself and see how I go. Rang and confirmed the price and availability during the week.

So I ride out to Gowies on a Sat morning, and am greeted by Mike out the back. He takes a look at it for me, agrees that it is the filter, replaces it, tops up the oil and charges me for the filter only.

Whilst he probably spent about 15 minutes with me all told, the point is that he gave a **** to try and sort me out, and stopped what he was going to do so. Nothing like a bit of old fashined give-a-**** service.

I did not take my bike to him for the 10k, but will definately go back to him for things, parts and service, due to the fact that he gave a ****.

I have a similar story about Ron @ Flywheels, both stand up guys from my experience, both I would recommend to others.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
nickors said:
So I ride out to Gowies on a Sat morning, and am greeted by Mike out the back. He takes a look at it for me, agrees that it is the filter, replaces it, tops up the oil and charges me for the filter only.

Whilst he probably spent about 15 minutes with me all told, the point is that he gave a **** to try and sort me out, and stopped what he was going to do so. Nothing like a bit of old fashined give-a-**** service.

I did not take my bike to him for the 10k, but will definately go back to him for things, parts and service, due to the fact that he gave a ****.

I have a similar story about Ron @ Flywheels, both stand up guys from my experience, both I would recommend to others.
I'll give you one guess as to where Ron did his apprenticeship... I my mind that reflects even better on Mike...

big

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
bigiain said:
I'll give you one guess as to where Ron did his apprenticeship... I my mind that reflects even better on Mike...

big
Yeah I know Ron did his apprenticeship there. Any yes, agreed, it does reflect on mike and his guidance. I guess the real test is how Ron goes in a year or two, when the memory of his apprenticeship is in the distance. But it is reassuring that he at least has started his business with a good attitude, look after your customers and they will look after you.

·
Registered
466 Posts
afternoon gents!

I am going to be doing the 10k pretty damn soon on my 03 620 and was wondering if there is any downside in not taking it into one of those dealers (i.e. warranty issues etc).

I've always used Gowanloch's but I might try Flywheels this time around since Ronny was so freaking good to me when he was at the G.
That being said, I was down at gowies a few weeks ago and the boys were literally thorwing parts at me so that I could mount my DP steering damper.

-cookie
/black is better

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
cookiemonster said:
I am going to be doing the 10k pretty damn soon on my 03 620 and
g'day cookie
come to C 'bout 4pm - il mostro & i will be coffee'ing there and than we'll go to northside - hold nervous pal's hands when he'll be collecting his new gal

.........and maybe you can trade up your bike while there thus avoiding a 10k service
see, just saved you 800 bucks...............coffee is on you, pal [cheeky]

ps

cookiemonster said:
-cookie
/black is better
.........that might be so, but "RED IS FASTER" - just ask davey [cheeky]

21 - 40 of 45 Posts