Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I bare any liability if I sell my 620 to a new rider who has no M-Class. He's owned a 150cc scooter for about a year and has put 200 meesly miles on it, but doesn't even understand the transmission. Will his dad come sue me if he kills himself?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Not sure, but you could have him sign a waiver or something stating he has limited to no experience and he holds you harmless or something.

·
Registered
185 Posts
IANAL, but from how I understand these things is that just so long as any injuries he might incur don't come from you misrepresenting the bike (for example, he rides off the road because the brakes fail and you knew about the leak in the brake line that caused them to fail) you should be fine.

A waiver on paper certainly couldn't hurt, though.

·
Registered
663 Posts
he could buy it from a dealer just as well as you, does the dealer have liability?

I would advise him on getting gear and taking the msf though

·
Registered
105 Posts
The buyer should be over 18 - if not, then you should sign over the title or bill of sale to his dad or his dad should be the co-signer on the title. If he/she is over 18 and doesn't have his license endorsed for motorcycles, then don't let him ride off on it. Either drop off the bike at his home or request that he needs to bring a van or truck to take the bike away. You might also consider taking pictures of the drop off or of him taking the bike away in van/truck.

·
Registered
663 Posts
The buyer should be over 18 - if not, then you should sign over the title or bill of sale to his dad or his dad should be the co-signer on the title. If he/she is over 18 and doesn't have his license endorsed for motorcycles, then don't let him ride off on it. Either drop off the bike at his home or request that he needs to bring a van or truck to take the bike away. You might also consider taking pictures of the drop off or of him taking the bike away in van/truck.
I don't know of any motorcycle dealers that require you to produce your endorsement before riding away, why would it be any different for an individual seller? If you were selling a car to a private party, would you demand to see their DL or proof of insurance? I think not. DL's, endorsements, insurance is all the buyers responsibility.

I do agree with comment regarding under age purchaser's, I guess.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't know of any motorcycle dealers that require you to produce your endorsement before riding away, why would it be any different for an individual seller? If you were selling a car to a private party, would you demand to see their DL or proof of insurance? I think not. DL's, endorsements, insurance is all the buyers responsibility.

I do agree with comment regarding under age purchaser's, I guess.
I completely agree -- dealers don't seem to require to see that you have a valid motorcycle license for purchase, but they would if you wanted to test ride it. Also, since this is a private sale, "I" would take every precaution to protect myself from any liability. Also, this is not a car...I would never assume just because someone drove up in a car to see the bike I had for sale that they would also have a motorcycle endorsement. Again, this is just me -- people sue other people all the time which is why there are more personal injury lawyers than any other type. Also, much of this issue goes back to the question of whether or not the buyer was over/under 18.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts