Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 620 in August and know I will already be moving up to an 800 within a year. Would it be better to sell it now, while it's only 2 months old, with 1500 miles? Or keep it until the 6000 mile service?

It is stock, except for a 14t cog, and still has 22 months left under warranty, and a voucher for the 6000 mile service. I've only made 1 payment on it and owe $5,800 on it. If I decide to sell what should I ask? Could I get the $5,800 I owe? Or would it be in my best interest financially to keep it for a bit longer so I don't take too big a hit?

Basically, at the time I couldn't swing more bike financially, and it was my first street bike, so I went with the 620. I really love the bike and want another Monster. I'm just looking for more power and a 6th gear. I have since climbed out from under some of my bills, much sooner than expected, and can afford a bigger bike now.

This all came about as I started to shop for mods for the bike and realized I don't want to throw a lot of money at the bike if I may move up to a bigger one later...... Either way I think the 620 is an awesome first bike. Glad I went with the Monster.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks, MWB

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
you say its your first bike,right? You certainly are no pro if you have been riding for two months. I would hold on to it for a year at the very least. Learn how to take the corners and ride correctly. After you have more experience, you can go big. I have a 620, and yeah at times I wish it had more sack, but it is a blast to ride regardless. Why not keep her until she is paid off, then get another monster. I am keeping the 620 as long as I am alive. Maybe I will give it to my kid someday. Maybe I will have a little museum in my mansion dedicated to all of my Ducs.
So my .02 is to just hold on to it for now. Be like me, pretend that you still have one more gear to go up to even if its not there.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I agree.

Somebody once told me that the best go-fast accessory is rider skill. Wait a year and see how much faster you'll be able to go.

Besides, the step to an 800 is a relatively small one. There are plenty of aftermarket kits that will give the 620 a pretty decent bump in power.

Heck, you might just decide to go for an S4R... ;)

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
I'm in a similar boat. I bought a 620 back in August. It was my third bike in less than 4 years.
I love the thing but want a 748. It makes little sense to get rid of the bike when it's so new- you'll just to lose your shirt on it.
So keep it and enjoy it and learn to ride. Someday you could get another Monster, but till then, enjoy your new machine :D
As for what I'm doing...I don't know yet -lol!
t.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Hey MWB,

I got a 620 as well.. it too is my first bike.. and like Tonyj said.. I'm no pro. I've spent a lot of time on the track in cars, and believe me.. I'm nowhere near the limit when riding the 620.

sure a bigger bike will have more power, accelerate faster, have a higher top-end... but in the corners, under braking, getting the shifts right... that's where you pick up time, and that's where you gain skill... And I have yet to gain skill..

I'm going to hang on to mine until I'm done with it.. and I'm not there yet!

That being said... If you've already made up your mind.. then ask for what you think is fair for your 620. Check to see if the 6000 mile service is transferrable (it should be..). if it is then you can sell it with that.. if not, then you're better off hanging on to the bike and getting the service.. I don't think the bike will depreciate more than the cost of the service in the next 4000+ miles.. (unless of course it's damaged or something).

At any rate.. I'm not sure if I'd pay $5800 for a used one.. I paid less than that for mine ('02) brand new, and got a couple of hundred dollars off on accessories from the dealer as well... but heck.. try it. It's always easier to drop your price if no one bites, than trying to get more money after you sell it too fast!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tony, yeah that is an option. I am just trying to get a feel for if I could make the swap without losing too much money. I will be paying for the bike for a while and after it's paid for I don't want to sell it and start all over again. I figured if I could restart at now, instead of later, I may do it.

So, I may end up keeping it...... Just looking for opinions.

Thanks, MWB

G

·
you're going to take WAY to big a financial gouge to make selling your 620 an easy decision. it's outright shocking how quickly a bike's value depreciates in the 1st year. so get your money's worth, and hang onto the 620 for another season. learning to push it a bit harder will make you a better rider (but always stay well within your limits!!!) in the long run than hopping on an 800...

that said, scrounge your $$$ next year (don't pour a lot of $$$ into the 620 for mods... you won't get it back on resale), and plan on making the jump to a 1000! i don't think there's a significant enough difference between the 620 and 800 to justify the $$$, but with another full season of riding under your belt, you should be ready for a 1000.

ps - anybody wanna buy an '02 m750s (grey/red) for short $$? got a buddy who made this same mistake ready to get reemed on resale!

·
Registered
376 Posts
I bet you would get hosed if you tried to sell your bike now, you need to keep a motorcycle for at least 2 years to break even, if you really want to eventually sell it, you would have to make several payments so that you aren't too upside down on the loan. So to keep the value up, keep the mileage low, and don't crash it, and as Strati says, don't put too many mods on it, you won't get the money back out of it (although you could get the Strati pipe mod, that's fairly cheap :D) Mine should be on the way tommorrow (if Strati remembers to ship them).

G

·
I have a 800 and wouldn't upgrade to that if you want more power. I would say the 800 is a mild bike. When you get the 800 you are just going to want the 1000. And when you get the 1000 you might want to get a faster bike still. I would go for the s4 if I had the money.

Having that said I have don't plan on getting a new bike until they come out with a monster 999. By then I should have enough skills to appreciate it.

My current bike is always staying with me. My wife loves it and my son is growing. So who knows maybe the whole family will have monsters someday. haha

·
Registered
59 Posts
My opinion is, if you've only been riding 2 months, don't sell the 620. I'll echo what others have said about the best go-fast accessory being the skill of the rider on the bike. Become the best rider you can possibly be on your 620, stop thinking about the fact that there are bigger Monsters available and just enjoy the hell out of riding your bike, then after a year or two, decide what bike you want to replace your 620 with, if any... maybe you'll just end up adding to your stable rather than replacing. ;)

Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great feedback guys....

Most of the issues I was kicking around have been answered. I know from my other hobbies (photography, competitive cycling) that you take a bath on the resale of things. And motorcycles are no different. Just wanted an opinion on when a good time to sell would be. I know you usually get burned when you sell something in the first year.

Just a bit of where I am coming from. I totally agree riding skills are more important than horsepower...so I am not looking to make the move just for that reason. If I were I'd be looking at an S4R ;D I am only looking for a little bit more power so in town I don't have to ride so hard in traffic. I tool around on my buddy's Speed Triple and the extra power is nice in traffic so you don't need to be on the throttle as much. So the 800'd be nice. And I do more interstate riding than I had originally planned on so the 6th gear would be nice. But other than that the 620 is perfect. Certainly from a top end, and handling, standpoint the bike is perfect.

I love the bike and will be keeping it...unless I can strike a good bargin in the sale/purchase of a new one. I'll just make sure any mods I do can be removed and put on a bigger Monster.

Thanks again for the feedback!

MWB

·
Registered
136 Posts
I agree with the others. Keep it and enjoy. I got my 800 in July and it's more than enough bike for me, but it is still a middleweight. Sure, when I go to the shop there are all kinds of bikes I would like to take home that are bigger than mine and faster (I can name at least 10!). The thing is........my 800 is getting faster because I'm getting faster. I've kept up with those Jap sport bikes one day only to get blown away by a freakin' sportster the next. I know I've got alot to learn.. And that's the FUN!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Keep it and ride the piss out of it. And while you are doing that save up and buy a second bike.

·
Registered
684 Posts
ps - anybody wanna buy an '02 m750s (grey/red) for short $$? got a buddy who made this same mistake ready to get reemed on resale!
D**m, I knew I should have waited! ;D

I too vote for keeping the bike and honing your skills. When I was a boy I used to sit at the candy jar at gramma's and while I had one piece in my mouth I'd already be looking for the next. Savour what you've got; it's a great bike I'm sure. ;)

G

·
I had a 620 until my wife took it :-*
And I would have kept it. It fly's and I like the overall lightness of the bike.
Also, it's not the bike but the skill of the rider that makes it fun. Believe me I was driving my cage the other day through a canyon and watched a less than 100 lb woman on a 250 ninja smoke some guys on their rice rockets (gsxers, r6's etc). She must have been a pro they couldn't even keep up with her in the turns.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I have an 01' m750 right now and I'd like to have something with more power too (and a 6 speed & dry clutch).

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Send me info on the 750, it is the color I am looking for and is about what I want (I really want a 620 but the 750 would be cool).

Ron

evilfij (at) yahoo.com

·
Registered
142 Posts
I was in the same boat, but the price of the 800 over the 620 was pretty big. I lucked out and picked up a 620 with DP pipes and other goodies. The airbox was cut open and if it's freeway speed you're looking for, the pipes and airbox helped a bunch; it will pull hard from 90 to 120 in 5th. Throw in a PowerCommander and for $1000 you'll have enough power for a couple of years :)

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I agree with the above, at 2 months of riding, you are no were NEAR reaching the potential that the bike has to offer. The 620 will outrun a Corvette thru the quarter mile, so power isnt all that bad.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I must be one of the oddball's because I have the 620 and looked at the bigger bikes but liked the feel of the 620 better.Most of my riding has been 125 and 250 dirtbikes and rz350 on the street . learn how to ride and like one of the other guy's said you'll probably smoke most everybody out there no matter what there riding. Any bike will go fast enough to get you killed the only thing a bigger bike will do is get you to that point faster.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts