Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I haven't got my monster yet (looking at a new 800 or used 900), however I would like to get all my gear squared away before I take the MSF June 25-27.

The only thing I have gotten so far is a pair of boots--Oxtar Matrix from newenough.com. That was the only thing I was comfortable ordering w/o size issues.

I'm about 6'3" and some change, 300lbs, around 53" chest. I wear a size 46 jeans and 3XLT shirts (loose) or 2XLT (snug), however I do have the gut action going on at about 50".

Most of the jackets I've seen taper a bit and recommend a belly of no more than 4"-6" less than the chest measurement. Obviously I can suck it in a little, but probably only to a point when leaned forward.

I definitely want to do all leather no matter when I'm riding for the safety factor. I will probably ride to work on any nice days or semi-nice days, but I dress very casual (shorts often) at work, and can change at work easily, so I guess a suit might be an option if they were available in my size. A jacket/pants combo might be just as well.

I don't really want to spend quite as much as the custom leathers seem to cost, if possible, but obviously cost is not the main factor. If I could keep it under $800-$1000, that'd be great.

I haven't seen any posts by anyone yet who was a combination of as tall and big as me, so that's why I'm soliciting for advice.

I fully intend on losing some weight this summer as well, especially when the pools open here, but I wouldn't be shrinking to skinny status, especially before I pick up a bike / MSF class, whichever happens to come first.

Thanks for reading my long post, and thanks for any advice you can give.

-sah-
88 900t SPG (cage)
Monster soon...

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Check out the jackets at the Harley dealer...

I bet they carry larger sizes. ;)

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Re: seeking new rider big & tall leather advic

I'm not quite as big around as you are. 6' 4" 225lbs 38-40 waist. Joe Rocket XXL fit me. You would need a XXX.

G

·

You may want to go w/ custom leathers, but you'll take a hit in price.

check out www.zcustom.com or ask your local dealer if they know of any custom suit manufacturers.

Good Luck

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for the responses.

I figured some kind of leather jacket/pant combo would be a little more utilitarian than a suit, but like I said, I'm not opposed to either.

I'll keep researching.

As a follow up, the Oxtar Matrix Gore boots arrived today and they are very comfortable--good stuff. I'll be wearing them to work some to break them in.

-sah-

·
Registered
246 Posts

Barnacle Bill in Lexington Ky makes very nice custom suits for less than a grand. Don't have his web site. If you can't find it try the wera (racing) board, wera.com.

·
Registered
472 Posts

I believe you can find a Vanson dealer that does custom work for only 60 bucks extra.

that is what I plan on doing for my jacket...Check vansonleathers.com

they have an online measuring form that looks like they would make a perfect jacket for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts