Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, Searching through the forum, this topic was beaten over the head, but got to get it out there again, just in case info is incorrect, or there is someone out there who knows. Bought a 2014 796 and only got one key the black key, no key code card or second red key, or even documentation. All later Ducati's have an immobilizer. This may of been the deal breaker if my now informed brain was then.
So went to the Ducati dealership to get another key cut.. its important to have a second set of keys for any mode of transportation. Without the key code or second key, you cannot lazer cut a key. Is this correct? Dealership tells me its impossible and need new set of keys, keylock, ECU and display to the tune of about $3K.
So I need one of two things the second red key, or key code in order to program the ECU computer. Any ideas on programming a key without red key or key code, if you are in possession of the black key or a key that starts the bike. There is mixed info between the forums, some mention programming while bike is running and using the throttle for programming? I really don't fully trust the dealership and their information... seems like they just want money.. Any ideas folks.. bummed out about this.. I am a car guy and you never loose documentation or history of an automobile far less keys. Bought a used BMW Z4 with one key unfortunately, but all that was needed was the VIN, prof of ownership and one could be had from BMW Germany... Thanks in advance..:(

·
Registered
594 Posts
Yes, this subject does get beat to death around here. I'm pretty sure Ducati does "Just want money" I think these newer bikes you can't even turn off the oil change light yourself when you do your own oil changes. I'm sure the BMW key wasn't cheap, but I'm guessing it was more realistic than replacing half the electrical system. One thing you can't pin on Ducati is the number or people who manage to lose track of that stuff, or bother to pass it along with the bike when they part ways with it. That's just right out of the idiot playbook I guess.

If you do some internet research on Ducati key cloning and code card replacement you'll find a few places that can help. It's more affordable than Ducati's solution, but it's not cheap either. The quick and easy cloning might get you a couple extra keys for around a 100 bucks. To truly make it right and get the dash reprogramming and aftermarket code card and keys might be closer to 600. Just be careful who you send your only key to. That's why I would see if someone local can at least clone your key first.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, this subject does get beat to death around here. I'm pretty sure Ducati does "Just want money" I think these newer bikes you can't even turn off the oil change light yourself when you do your own oil changes. I'm sure the BMW key wasn't cheap, but I'm guessing it was more realistic than replacing half the electrical system. One thing you can't pin on Ducati is the number or people who manage to lose track of that stuff, or bother to pass it along with the bike when they part ways with it. That's just right out of the idiot playbook I guess.

If you do some internet research on Ducati key cloning and code card replacement you'll find a few places that can help. It's more affordable than Ducati's solution, but it's not cheap either. The quick and easy cloning might get you a couple extra keys for around a 100 bucks. To truly make it right and get the dash reprogramming and aftermarket code card and keys might be closer to 600. Just be careful who you send your only key to. That's why I would see if someone local can at least clone your key first.
Day 3178 you are 100% accurate in your response. After a little research, this key issue is a money maker for the dealership as well as Ducati and their contract to satisfy the insurance world. Ducati has your VIN and they have the key code needed for your original RFID frequency setup. They just dont give it out. And dont tell me the dealership that sold the bike doesn't have your VIN or the key code on file, they do.. guaranteed they do.
So for everyone else who is intrested and I am sorry if I brought the topic up again.. but now I know the story. Yes and you are correct, if you bought any new bike and don't keep your documentation and duplicate keys..you're just plain stupid. I collect a few cars and have all documentation or can get it before I buy a car off auction or privately.
Best and cheapest way to get a second key with no red key or key code card is duplication from a locksmith. First do not ever ship your key to anybody, or anywhere, that's just plain stupid as the percentage of it getting lost or bike thief is great. That single key is now gold. Find a local approved locksmithing business that has a lazer cutter and chip duplicator. Ducati's in their wisdom to satisfy their insurance contract have used special RFID chipped keys for different years. See if the locksmith can get your blank chipped key for the year of the bike.. these are in low controlled production and will cost on average about $80 to $100 dollars for the key. You may find a reseller on Ebay/Amazon. I believe mine will be a T5. Then pay to get the key lazer cut and duplicated. It's the only cheap alternative than doing the money maker for the stealership...sorry I meant dealership :mad:
Now you know the rest of the key story.. good luck and ride safe.. and I still think Ducati is the Ferrari of all bikes.. but that's another story.. (y)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Day 3178 you are 100% accurate in your response. After a little research, this key issue is a money maker for the dealership as well as Ducati and their contract to satisfy the insurance world. Ducati has your VIN and they have the key code needed for your original RFID frequency setup. They just dont give it out. And dont tell me the dealership that sold the bike doesn't have your VIN or the key code on file, they do.. guaranteed they do.
So for everyone else who is intrested and I am sorry if I brought the topic up again.. but now I know the story. Yes and you are correct, if you bought any new bike and don't keep your documentation and duplicate keys..you're just plain stupid. I collect a few cars and have all documentation or can get it before I buy a car off auction or privately.
Best and cheapest way to get a second key with no red key or key code card is duplication from a locksmith. First do not ever ship your key to anybody, or anywhere, that's just plain stupid as the percentage of it getting lost or bike thief is great. That single key is now gold. Find a local approved locksmithing business that has a lazer cutter and chip duplicator. Ducati's in their wisdom to satisfy their insurance contract have used special RFID chipped keys for different years. See if the locksmith can get your blank chipped key for the year of the bike.. these are in low controlled production and will cost on average about $80 to $100 dollars for the key. You may find a reseller on Ebay/Amazon. I believe mine will be a T5. Then pay to get the key lazer cut and duplicated. It's the only cheap alternative than doing the money maker for the stealership...sorry I meant dealership :mad:
Now you know the rest of the key story.. good luck and ride safe.. and I still think Ducati is the Ferrari of all bikes.. but that's another story.. (y)
I would really love to see some cold hard facts regarding how many thefts are prevented every year thanks in part to their brilliant immobilizer systems. I really would. I'm sure the numbers are staggering indeed. I'm guessing greater than zero, but less than ten. NOBODY jumps on a motorcycle, "Hotwires" it and rides off. It gets tossed in a van or enclosed trailer and hauled off. Just takes a few seconds. Doesn't matter if it's a brand new Ducati or a clapped out chopper that doesn't even use a key. That's just how they operate. Anything above and beyond a basic theft deterrent system is superfluous. The whole code card thing is simply their "Get out of jail free" card. Why endure the hassle of customer support on the same level as BMW and Mercedes Benz when you can capitalize on the customers problems instead. Why do Ducatis get stolen? Same reason you see people trying to sell a year old bike on Craigslist for what they still owe on it. Which is basically the same price as what it cost new. Some people are just more honest than others. Not too bright perhaps. But at least honest to a point.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes indeed.. update

In regards to my 2014 796. The dealer will order the T5 Transponder Cloneable Chip blank key from Ducati. It's expensive at $90 + dollars. I am pretty sure they can order all the past years. I hav efoukd out that the 696, 796,1100, street fighter, and street fighter s 2009 to 2014 has the same T5 Tranponder chip. These keys are coded to clone data from Keys with Type 11, 12, 13 chips.
So with an existing working key, you can clone, laser cut the right key blank w/T5 Transponder Chip. We will have a second key. I am out to beat Ducati at their own game. Will keep you posted. Thanks..

·
Registered
594 Posts
Yes indeed.. update

In regards to my 2014 796. The dealer will order the T5 Transponder Cloneable Chip blank key from Ducati. It's expensive at $90 + dollars. I am pretty sure they can order all the past years. I hav efoukd out that the 696, 796,1100, street fighter, and street fighter s 2009 to 2014 has the same T5 Tranponder chip. These keys are coded to clone data from Keys with Type 11, 12, 13 chips.
So with an existing working key, you can clone, laser cut the right key blank w/T5 Transponder Chip. We will have a second key. I am out to beat Ducati at their own game. Will keep you posted. Thanks..
Absolutely. I do it as well every chance I get.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update...

This just keeps getting better.. just in conversation with a qualified locksmith in my part of the world and he can get the T5 Transponder key for the year of the 796 from his supplier. Only issue may be the quantity he needs to order, it could be 5 to 25 for a minimum order. The manufacturer set up the standard quantity. Quoted $140 for a second key lazer cut, cloned to the original master. They only sell these blanks in large amounts per order, to prevent cloning, if his min is 5 he will order blanks. I have also ordered a blank off Amazon just in case his min is too high. Will follow up.

Safe rides..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts