Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Seat Upholstery question ?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Decaf 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have some sun damage and a rip (boot lace hook) in the seat cover.

Wondering if there's any suggestions on getting it re-upholstered ?

I can't seem to find a good condition OEM seat on ebay or classifieds

Much appreciated

Best,
Hari

#2 ·
It's not that difficult if your foam is good order.

I've done a handful of bike seats. 3M makes an adhesive spray that helps a lot. Also, an electric staple gun comes in handy. Find some vinyl material, remove the old staples, carefully remove the old cover, then I spray the foam with glue and the new vinyl. Let it sit for about 5-10 minutes before joining them. Then work the vinyl over with your hands until it begins to stick, then lightly stretch and staple until you've gone all the way around. Once complete cut away the excess. You may need to make a few relief cuts while stapling to allow you to pull the material without it filling with creases.

#3 ·
To add to Mike's info: Throw your new vinyl into a dryer for 5 minutes and you can get an easy stretch initially while its warm.

If you go the non-manual route most leather shops will charge you anywhere from $125 to $200 to reupholster, on the bright side you can make it fairly custom.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.