Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone had a problem with their seat coming undone? I have an aftermarket Corbin seat and it will latch when i push on it, but if i hit a bump, it comes undone.

I have tried to adjust it several times but it doesn't want to stay down.

I was thinking about attaching an auxilary piece that would hold it down from the outside. Or maybe can that little piece be purchased from the factory?

Anyone had this happen?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I seem to recall some folks with Corbin seats complaining of that. IIRC, the latch post is not long enough, or the seat base is shaped such that the post isn't long enough. Maybe a shim between the post and the seat? Or shave a little off of the rubber pads that rest on the frame? Maybe shim up the latch?

I don't have a Corbin or an early frame Monster, so I'm mostly just guessing.... :-/

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
I had a similar problem with the stock seat. For me it turned out that I was not putting the seat on the bike correctly. I did not have the tabs in the front of the seat under the "loops" (yes I am a dolt). The irony was this is how the seat was mounted when I picked up the bike from the dealer, so I never questioned it. Everytime I hit a bump the seat came off.

Check to make sure that the seat cannot move around too much at the front, this might help. Movement at the front (as in my case) caused the latch to undo.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
This happened on my stock seat. Turns out the spring on the latch mechanism wasn't stiff enough. I ended up cutting it out and replacing it with a new one from a harware store. Remove your seat and look at the mechanism while you turn the key, the spring will be obvious. I'd try that before doing the auxillary piece.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the front latches correctly.

I think the problem may be the spring. It is a wimpy little thing. I'll give that a shot

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I've been having some problems with the seat unlatching lately too, but only after i lubricated the lock and latch assembly. I was having a bitch of a time getting the seat off, in fact I thought I was going to brake my key, so I sprayed some WD-40 all over the lock assembly, front and back. After a few minutes of playing around the key moved very easily, I was satisfied. Unfortunately the first time I took a ride and hit a big bump the seat came unlatched. Definitely a different cause, but the same problem it sounds like...

G

·
Place a couple washers between the latch assembly, and the frame. It should work. I've done it on 2 late model Monsters, worked both times.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The DP touring seat I fitted had the same problem, also fixed with washers like Herb's. I quite often stand up on the pegs on a long run so I'm going to fit a stronger latch spring aswell.

G

·
Mine did it repeatedly after taking her home....When I took her in for the first service I had the tech adjust the pin placement (long pin next to latch pin) and now it locks in first time every time.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts