Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search, and my Sport 1000 is different enough, that I couldn't find anything in the FAQ section.

I have a new Sport 1000. This is the bike with the asymmetrical swingarm, and a single Sachs shock mounted on the left side. There is no lowering link or seat height adjuster rod.

The seat height IS tall, 32.5" inches I believe, which came as a total surprise to me, and is an incredible sore subject for me right now. I didn't really do any research in terms of reviews or even looking at the specifications before buying the bike. The dealer had a test bike available. I got on it, and the seat height felt fine, despite my 30" inseam. Test ride was fantastic, so I ordered a new bike.

When it came to pick it up, I could barely tip toe with both feet! I asked WTF, as I had no issues with the test bike. Dealer said no problem, and then basically loosened the preload on the rear shock, getting the seat to where I needed it. He said that was how the test bike was set up.

So now I'm trying to figure out how to restore the suspension settings as best I can, and still have a useable seat height. The manual says the shock features a total length adjustment, so it can be shortened. I'm trying to figure out how that works, to shorten the shock that way, and then restore some preload. Then I'll try to raise the forks in the triple crown to even back the front and rear. BTW, there isn't enough there to shave the seat.

Any help, ideas, or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Is the stock suspension set up ideal for your weight? Where did you buy the bike, may I ask? I'm short and have seat height issue with most bikes - my latest experiment is custom suspenion - front & rear for my weight - it lowered the entire bike, seems to be working for me but still testing it out.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ducky said:
Is the stock suspension set up ideal for your weight? Where did you buy the bike, may I ask? I'm short and have seat height issue with most bikes - my latest experiment is custom sususpension front & rear for my weight - it lowered the entire bike, seems to be working for me but still testing it out.
Bought the bike from Munroe Motors East Bay.

Interestingly, when I bought my last bike, an SV, the Suzuki dealer spent some time with me before I drove it away. They checked the suspension settings for my weight and adjusted both the forks and the shock accordingly. They then adjusted both the clutch and the front brake levers so they were at the proper angle for me. Likewise, they checked the shifter and foot brake levers to make sure they were set correctly for me.

With this Ducati dealer, I got none of that! So was the bike set up for my weight? No. They never even checked. And I'm sure easing off the preload to lower the seat just made it worst.

I just measured my shock. I measured it first when it was not loaded at all, and then remeasured it with me sitting on the bike. The shock compressed about 3/4" or 19mm from my body weight. What that means I don't know. But I'm guessing the bike would want more preload to stiffen the shock so my body weight doesn't compress it that much. Is that true?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
You should have you new bike set up the way your old one was. Setting the levers is easy to do by yourself. The static sag on the other hand will require some help. There is a write up in the How To section if I am not mistaken. Your preload adjuster on your shock shouldn't be used to adjust ride height.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, two different sources have said the preload should be set such that shock compression from the weight of the rider is around 30mm, or somewhere between 1" and 1-1/8".

As noted above, with the current setting, I get 3/4". So am I to further loosen the preload to gain another 1/4"?

[BTW, is this what people mean when they say setting up the suspension for your weight, meaning to adjust the preload so whatever you weigh, you still get 30mm of shock compression?]

Anyway, everyone seems to agree that using the preload is NOT the way to affect your seat height. And yet, loosening the preload to get another 1/4" will mean having even less thread showing above the ring nuts, which in effect further lowers the seat.

So how does one change the preload setting WITHOUT affecting the seat height?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts