Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living here in Michigan, where riding is seasonal for most of us, I was wondering if others who take a winter layoff do any kind of spring tune-up of their riding skills. I've been doing some parking lot and sudivision practice--slow turns and quick stops, mainly--in addition to getting in some more spirited rides. So, what do you do, if anything?

G

·
As a general rule, if I have been off for a couple weeks (which is rare) my first ride is more of commuting/harley riders type ride.
Then, progress to all out, wide open, no regard for personal well being or sense of responsability...riding.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I agree with TAF......move to the sun belt. I grew up in Michigan and will always be a Michigander......but I'll never go back to the tundra. Georgia's nice. [smiley=waytogo.gif]

G

·
Hey Robert_Bowman,
I live in Monroe, MI now. Used to live in AA when I was going to UofM. Once I get my bike we should get together sometime and go for a ride.

:'( miss that place, AA.

Rainman

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
even in mich you should get a few decent days here and there in the winter, right? I'd say... ride out each and every one of those... as long as the road is dry, and the suns out. You can freeze your arse off... but at least you'll be riding.

G

·
Well my riding season is just starting now, and goes sometime into late october/november. Every spring I do the same as you - find a big empty parking lot, do some hard stops, a few figure 8's. I'll spend about an hour there and then for a couple very liesurely rides around town. This gets me back into the swing of things. My first ride this year (before doing this), I felt very unstable and not generally very good about riding. This winter was especially long though - most years I don't go more than a month without pulling the bike out. This year I didn't ride for 5 solid months, so that's probably why I was so shaky. I may do the lot a second time ..

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I dunno, I ride every day of the year I'm home... :p

G

·
Hey I'm in Mi too, Lets try a ride sometime soon. I usually tune up by riding the knobby tired bike a few times to get the feel, then some practict of MSF stuff in a lot and a few commutes before I try anything too high spirited.

I think the biggest danger in the frozen norht are the people in Oldsobuicks who havent seen a motorcycle in a few months and forget that we are on the same roads, I'm car paranoid until about June :(

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I do ride during the winter if it's not colder than about 30F and the roads are dry and relatively salt- and sand-free. Good point, too, about cagers getting re-adjusted to the presence of motorcycles on the roads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts