Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a new rear tire installed and was wondering if anyone had a a special proceedure to scuffing it in. I know a few months back we had a few members take spills on new tires and I am trying to avoid the same. This time of year we have cold roads + cold tire + new tire = dangerous combination.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I just start out with very little lean on turns, the\n gradually lean more as more miles get on the tires. You can look at the tire and see how the scrubbing in is progressing. I've never done this at low speeds in a parking lot, but I wonder if that would work as well ?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
It helps to bring the tire up to temperature before the scrubbing inprocess. On a moderatly twisty road, it shouldn't take more than about 20 minutes. On a race track, it should take about 1-2 laps.

Z

·
0 Posts
Yep, just be very mindful when you make any kind of turn. Start off slowly and gradually increase your turn radius until most of the shiny stuff on the tire comes off.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Be especially aware of yellow and white lines on the road. These are very slick and with a new tire they are like ice.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I recently read something in a motorcycle mag, can't remember which one, where a guy recommended using a little goo gone to get the slippery "mold release" off the new tire... I guess the product that they apply to the tire to get it to come out of the mold that they make it in is the reason why new tires or so slippery...

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would dropping the tire pressure a few pounds help? That would increase temp and traction.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I think an aggressive riding tire presure of 30-35psi would be good

S

·
0 Posts
I just do brun outs in the parking lot. Put only 10 lbs of air in it, and smoke the tires. You usually can get rid of all the mold release compound in less than 20 secs that way.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
just ride it conservatively then get more and more aggressive in the turns (gradually over the course of about 50 - 100 miles or so).

·
Registered
16 Posts
to remove the paraffin around the tires you can use aceton, becarefull aceton is very agressive, put somme aceton on a rag and clean your tire. the tire is ready and no need to scuffing in anything!! ;D

·
Registered
849 Posts
I just do brun outs in the parking lot. Put only 10 lbs of air in it, and smoke the tires. You usually can get rid of all the mold release compound in less than 20 secs that way.
You serious??

I never can tell if people are kidding on this forum...

-R.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
When I get new tires, I ride the twisties as if the roads were damp for about 10 miles, then gradually pick up the pace. On the last set of tires, the roads actually were damp, so I added just a little more caution.

Unless you normally push the limits when you ride, normal riding will do most of what you need.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
I got a new rear Diablo this week and didn't have time to scrub it between commutes, what with the rain and everything. I did take it out yesterday for a real ride regardless. It was wet early in the day and I wasn't sure how to approach it (the Diablo is an excellent rain tire). Although I started out very cautious I found myself riding it more and more aggressively just based on feedback I got from it as the day and conditions were drier. There's more to scrub but I'm not worried about it. I did lose traction once when downshifting for engine braking, which leads me to believe that new tires require smoothness above everything else.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Race day I am with you, the slickness of a new rear tire canbe downright FUN.
That is only if you know what you are doing.
;D

·
Registered
413 Posts
I recently read something in a motorcycle mag, can't remember which one, where a guy recommended using a little goo gone to get the slippery "mold release" off the new tire... I guess the product that they apply to the tire to get it to come out of the mold that they make it in is the reason why new tires or so slippery...
You learn something everyday... I've been aware of this "mold release compound" since my first MC salesman told me about it. Only thing was I've gone all this time thinking it was a substance that was put on to keep the tires from getting moldy , seriously !
:)

·
Registered
64 Posts
humungus said:
You learn something everyday... I've been aware of this "mold release compound" since my first MC salesman told me about it. Only thing was I've gone all this time thinking it was a substance that was put on to keep the tires from getting moldy , seriously !
:)
heh dont worry....when I first saw "mold release compound" that's what came to my mind first as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts