Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Yeah, there was a thread not long ago about sombody going down as a result of one leaking ???Oh, but they look cool...Do a search on it, see what comes up.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've got one on my 2001 Triumph Sprint ST and I like it. It's not cheap, but it's well made and it does a good job.

That being said, some folks have had problems with the seal. As you probably know, most oil fliters have square cut seals, but the Scott uses a quad ring, which has an X-shaped cross section. Apparently, they can roll or fold during installation, so you have to be careful.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Yeah, I remember the thread about the guy, he went down because the Scott filter leaked or just came loose, more then one time if I remeber right. Better check that thread out and do some research like Herb suggests.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
That would be me.

Almost went down the first time... I went to cross over to the left lane on a T intersection from a single lane road to a double lane, and My rear tire just started winding up without me moving.... I barely moved forward, and cars were coming on on me fast, but I managed to make it across... I figured I must have run over an oil slick, since I was just in a parking lot, but sure enough, the bike was a bear to handle, so I shut her down... Only to find a steady geyser of oil just rushing out from the filter...... The filter was NOT loose when I removed it to check up on it..... odd....

So I tightened it down, and tried it again, I thought it was just a fluke, or someone had messed with it while I was gone.... But a week later it leaked again, DRENCHING the rear tire in oil, I couldnt keep the bike together, as it was continuously drenching the rear tire.... I went down in someone's lawn...

I work at an oil change place, so I know I didnt install it wrong....

I called SCOTTS and they said that I could return it, on my dime, so they could look at it. They said to just tighten it down real good.... I would have at least thought they would have said " return it on our dime, and we'll go ahead and cover the damages incurred to your bike during your fall"

I do have witnesses and I do have pictures of the incidents, But it seems like too much trouble for the money in bent bars and frame slider bolt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts