Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have taken the MSF class and I am geting better on my Duc but I feel I need some pro advice some one who has been doing this for much longer than my friends and I am thinking some kind of school are there any in the east bay?

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
There are plenty of "on-track" performance riding schools available in NorCal. Keigwins, ZoomZoom, and many others. I attended the Keigwin 2-day school and came away impressed.

My recommendation to you, however, is to put in a bit more saddle time on your Monster before you take to the track. Some may disagree, but while track riding WILL improve your skills greatly, it IS a different environment all together - and IMO should be approached only after you have some more experience (riding time) under your belt. Also, track days/schools cost money - fees, gear (full leathers), etc. :)

Best thing for you is to hook up with riders that are experienced, RESPONSIBLE, and willing to mentor you during rides. I'm willing to take you (and your wife?) out for our local ride and do just that. Let me know - anytime... [thumbsup]

I'm working this week but am off Friday.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
I'd agree with Rick.

There is a kind of school gap between MSF basic and track instruction. You want to be pretty comfortable going around corners at a good speed before you hit the track. As for first track experiences, I think the Reg Pridmore CLASS schools do a good job. Nobody there is very fast and the focus is on riding smoothly not so much lap times. (But for subsequent days I'd go with Keigwins or ZoomZoom.)

Ride a bunch, and if you can ride with someone experienced who can give you pointers (or you ride behind and watch their lines, traffic avoidance, etc.) then that's a good step for the six months after MSF you'll need to build up your skills and confidence.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Where live you Scoby? Me = East Bay.

Redwood Rd = Good Road = East Bay.

Ride We Shall Week Of Next?

**EDIT**

NVM, just saw post, Vacaville. Too Far. GL! Seat Time = Best Time

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Michael's suggestion about CLASS is a good one. I took it and found it to be a very good street-oriented day. It was my first exposure to the track. I was so nervous I could barely ride in a straight line. It was very safe and pretty slow-paced (in terms of speed.) It's on the pricey side, but if you're looking to round out your formal motorcycle education it's a good one to attend. Keith Code's Superbike School, Level I, is also geared towards beginners and is very structured/safe. I just finished that one up and didn't care for it as much as CLASS (Reg Pridmore.)

Here's a review of my Keith Code Day...I don't think I wrote up anything as comprehensive of my CLASS day. http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=66938.0 I can fill you in here (or via PM) if you like on CLASS, but Michael is probably a better resource for that.

·
Registered
769 Posts
After MSF, I didn't feel like I could really ride - certainly couldn't handle the twisties. I also didn't read books and some people learn a lot from books. I had less than 2000 miles when I went to the CA Superbike School level 1 (most of those miles were city miles). If you're looking for more training, get it as soon as you can - CLASS or Superbike School level 1 & 2 are good choices. Though I haven't been to CLASS, I've heard good things from people who've attended both schools. After you feel good on the streets/twisties and if you want to start track riding, there are many trackday providers to choose from and high performance track riding schools too. Good luck!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rick T. said:
There are plenty of "on-track" performance riding schools available in NorCal. Keigwins, ZoomZoom, and many others. I attended the Keigwin 2-day school and came away impressed.

My recommendation to you, however, is to put in a bit more saddle time on your Monster before you take to the track. Some may disagree, but while track riding WILL improve your skills greatly, it IS a different environment all together - and IMO should be approached only after you have some more experience (riding time) under your belt. Also, track days/schools cost money - fees, gear (full leathers), etc. :)

Best thing for you is to hook up with riders that are experienced, RESPONSIBLE, and willing to mentor you during rides. I'm willing to take you (and your wife?) out for our local ride and do just that. Let me know - anytime... [thumbsup]

I'm working this week but am off Friday.
it looks like friday will be nice I am up for a ride

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.