Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally came in and installed.

I'm beat. I'll post a detailed install review if anyone is interested. It was a PITA to install!

Note: I've installed about a dozen slip-ons before.

Here's my quick impressions. It sounds AWESOME! On the loud side. Akin to my HD Nightrod Special with baffled Tabs but a lot more brutal sounding! Maybe a bit louder too! Definitely better than stock.

The entire midpipe and can is so light--maybe 15 lbs. OEM felt like 40 lbs.

Heel is a bit cramped. I wear US men's 9, 42 Euro.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Finally came in and installed. I'm beat. I'll post a detailed install review if anyone is interested. It was a PITA to install!
Note: I've installed about a dozen slip-ons before. Here's my quick impressions. It sounds AWESOME! On the loud side. Akin to my HD Nightrod Special with baffled Tabs but a lot more brutal sounding! Maybe a bit louder too! Definitely better than stock. The entire midpipe and can is so light--maybe 15 lbs. OEM felt like 40 lbs.
Heel is a bit cramped. I wear US men's 9, 42 Euro.
Nice to read your quick assessment. Thanks for sharing.
About the heel space: The photo seem to suggest a very cramped foot space. How would you size it compared to stock?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nice to read your quick assessment. Thanks for sharing.
About the heel space: The photo seem to suggest a very cramped foot space. How would you size it compared to stock?
With stock having enough room to ride on your arches and toes, these are really cramped!

I have riding boots with a heel that probably won't work with this bike anymore. I can use my toes and with my foot arched it's fine. If I ride on my arches, I have to use the ball of my foot for the rear brake instead of my toes. I don't think I could rest my heels on the pegs anymore without tilting my foot in or out.

I thought SC Project "reengineered" this when they had complaints about the CRT.

I also called Motovation and asked about the heel room and their response was they haven't had any complaints yet. :/

All in all it is very well built. The mid pipe and the angles made a 10 min install 3 hours! Yes I'm very OCD so I kept playing with it until I got the maximum heel room and ground clearance. If I didn't care I could've slapped it together in 15 mins I suppose. But at this price point, there really shouldn't be any guess work on how the pipes match up for optimum clearances.

I digress, heel space is on the right side is poor. That and the PITA installation almost makes me want to return it. Riding normally my heel RESTS on the carbon fiber plate. I can imagine the heat shooting up my ankle in the summer time. I may look int wraps or ceramic coating if it's that bad.

But it is munch Christmas present from my wife AND it sounds so badass I will just learn to live with it. :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Surprised that you had difficulty installing it? Would be interested to read what problem(s) you encountered? I don't think mine took over 15 minutes.

I have the carbon conic and it weighed 4.8 lbs.

Foot space is still not ideal but definitely better than stock.

As for the noise level, even with the db killer not installed I did not find it obnoxiously loud. With it installed, I thought it not loud enough so I opened it up a bit. The large opening was expanded and the "louver" looking openings were slotted.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Where did you get the db killer? How does it install?

I didn't weigh mine but I know it is super light.

The midpipe isn't like yours. Its like a 3D s-curve; it snakes in a way that if you turn it to provide heel clearance, it will push the canister up and out. And if you align the canister and mounting holes, it pushes the midpipe to bulge at your heels. It's a Rubix cube of madness!

·
Registered
543 Posts
DB killer came with the can. Don't remember if I had to order it separate. Installed with snap ring.

Yes, I see that your can is shorter than mine.

I'm wondering if the hanger you used might have contributed to the difficulty?

Being contrary, I didn't like any of the available ones so I fabbed my own. I made a jig to capture the 3 stock mount points and used that to ensure alignment prior to and during welding.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DB killer came with the can. Don't remember if I had to order it separate. Installed with snap ring.

Yes, I see that your can is shorter than mine.

I'm wondering if the hanger you used might have contributed to the difficulty?

Being contrary, I didn't like any of the available ones so I fabbed my own. I made a jig to capture the 3 stock mount points and used that to ensure alignment prior to and during welding.

I thought that, too. But I used that hanger (Evo-tech) with the OEM no problem. So the hole is where the OEM pegs would have been. I was thinking of just adding a bracket to that but for $1000.00, I shouldn't have to. :/

If I send you specs, can you make me one? :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
The hanger "specs" were replicated in my jig which I still have. However, I don't think you would want me to make one for you because I am quite lazy and unreliable which causes me to be unaffordable. Sort of mirrors my motto: I don't do much, but it takes me a long time. :smile

·
Registered
25 Posts
@PHANTOM meance: did you need to install a power commander or rapid bike? or are you running just the slip on w/o any modifications to the ecu?
If so, how is it running? any problems?
I'm thinking about getting a CR-T, but don't want the trouble of remapping or installing rapid bike.

BTW can you show more pics of your bike! its beautiful.
i see that you installed a drag bar. i'd love to see how it looks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@PHANTOM meance: did you need to install a power commander or rapid bike? or are you running just the slip on w/o any modifications to the ecu?
If so, how is it running? any problems?
I'm thinking about getting a CR-T, but don't want the trouble of remapping or installing rapid bike.

BTW can you show more pics of your bike! its beautiful.
i see that you installed a drag bar. i'd love to see how it looks!
I've had it on since Christmas and ride often. No issues other than getting the three pieces to line up just the way I wanted. I ended up shaving about 1/4 inch off the part of the pipe that connects to the bike.

I thought about a Rapid Bike, but I've had no noticable issues at any speed, any RPM. I'm sure it may smooth things out, but I'm not sure if a little bit of smoothness is worth that price, especially for a twin engine that kind of supposed to be raw.

One thing to consider is that it is a noisier system. Though everyone who has heard it says its a "good" kind of noisy. Not obnoxious when outside. Inside a garage or something, it will wake you up.

And thanks! The drag bar was a bit tricky with the fluid resevoirs but a little bit of ingenuity and some rizoma bits, and it was no problem.

I'll try to post some pics soon.

·
Registered
695 Posts
@sushifly
I have the same model as @oldndumb. Most of the time, I leave the baffle out. Sound is much deeper.
Having a removable baffle is useful but I only use it when I ride with my Cardo communication system which is seldom.
You can take it out and reinstall it in seconds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts