Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
From a born minnesotan.... Winter sucks!!!!!! Only Three months and elventie hundred morons to deal with and it's time!!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you can believe it I was ridin' last week in the Twin Cities after new years!!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Jedi Knight said:
Wow, nice bike.

However, I must ask, why is the adjustment for the Ohlins rear relocated?
That bike appears to have been modified with a hydraulic preload adjuster. Ohlins will do it to the stock rear "Ohlins" shock for around $250.00USD.

I had considered it on Maya but was unsure just how much additional hardware was going to have to be strapped to the frame. :-\

Seeing this bike answers my question, and I'll stick with my manualy adjustable preload. ;)

I generally only ride Maya single and with her new heavier 250lb/aggressive springs front and rear (coincidentally also $250.00 for the springs, installation, and fork oil.) the sag is perfect for me. [thumbsup] Changing riding conditions can be compensated for with changes to the compression and rebound damping.

It would be a great mod for someone that was constantly needing to compensate for riding two up or heavy luggage. [thumbsup] [clap] [thumbsup] The stock preload compression rings can be a pregnant dog to get to. :p

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OMG! U really know what ur talking about SIR! Well, we do it because its BLING! Nobody know or cares about preload, weight carrying, etc. And its worth much more than the 250 u mentioned. Here is the same set-up but different bike :

SHADOWCHASER said:
That bike appears to have been modified with a hydraulic preload adjuster. Ohlins will do it to the stock rear "Ohlins" shock for around $250.00USD.

I had considered it on Maya but was unsure just how much additional hardware was going to have to be strapped to the frame. :-\

Seeing this bike answers my question, and I'll stick with my manualy adjustable preload. ;)

I generally only ride Maya single and with her new heavier 250lb/aggressive springs front and rear (coincidentally also $250.00 for the springs, installation, and fork oil.) the sag is perfect for me. [thumbsup] Changing riding conditions can be compensated for with changes to the compression and rebound damping.

It would be a great mod for someone that was constantly needing to compensate for riding two up or heavy luggage. [thumbsup] [clap] [thumbsup] The stock preload compression rings can be a pregnant dog to get to. :p

·
Registered
498 Posts
johnsk6 said:
OMG! U really know what ur talking about SIR! Well, we do it because its BLING! Nobody know or cares about preload, weight carrying, etc. And its worth much more than the 250 u mentioned. Here is the same set-up but different bike :

Thanx Amigo, although I'm definitely no authority on the matter. :-[

I was actually wondering why the gas canister had to be mounted separately as opposed to the piggyback mount on the stock Ohlins piece.?. :-\

I originally had assumed it had something to do with the conversion for the remote preload adjuster, but may be mistaken in that $250.00USD was what I and a couple of other Rs owners had been quoted on the conversion from Ohlins.

If this unit is as substantially more costly than the $250 for the conversion as you claim, then it most likely IS another shock entirely. :-\

I'm no suspension guru and have no idea what the benefits of the frame mounted canister might be over the piggy back mount.?.
Access??? Temperature regulation??? ???

If it is a different shock altogether and a higher grade piece I could easily see it having the remote preload adjuster already implemented in its design.

I'm sure its a bitchin piece, and it is indeed extremely "Bling", but for me stock Ohlins shock is light years ahead of anything I've ever sampled before. I seriously doubt I would be able to discern the added benefits of the top line version in performance aside from the obvious benefits of the remote preload adjuster. :-\

I'd personally rather not have all the extra stuff strapped to my frame with out some kind of profound performance benefit that I could actually feel. (I guess I'm just a cheapo Rs owner. [cheeky] With my limited financial means, all my mods must offset their expense through performance gains, and subsequently their place on my bike.[cheeky] )

Please don't take me wrong, I don't mean to downplay in anyway someone with the means to outfit their bike with the absolute best available. Some are collectors in that sense, and a rare few can actually tell the difference. Both however take great pride in their prize bikes. I simply cannot afford that luxury. ;)

Beautiful Bike, and Safe rides Amico! ~SC :)

[edit]

Since you were so kind to share a couple of shots of your beautiful Rs............Here are a couple of my mildly modded Girl for your viewing pleasure. ;D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
of course im very familiar with ur bike, i researched ur posts when i was thinking of a S4RS. U are a great help in this community and ur love of bikes and especially ducs was really helpful to me.
Anyway, back to the shock, it is a whole higher line nitrogen shock with a remote canister. Very pricy and super bling, i think i would buy a monster solely for adding this part, it is stunning in person. Although i never rode one with a stock ohlins, riding this one was extremely comfortable and never placed a foot wrong. I do not remeber the part# from ohlins but it was also a popular S4R mod here, but funny i never see it on any States people though, im sure price was the main issue. im sure no one will ever feel the difference, but it looks so nice on the bike!!!

SHADOWCHASER said:
Thanx Amigo, although I'm definitely no authority on the matter. :-[

I was actually wondering why the gas canister had to be mounted separately as opposed to the piggyback mount on the stock Ohlins piece.?. :-\

·
Registered
498 Posts
johnsk6 said:
of course im very familiar with ur bike, i researched ur posts when i was thinking of a S4RS. U are a great help in this community and ur love of bikes and especially ducs was really helpful to me.
Anyway, back to the shock, it is a whole higher line nitrogen shock with a remote canister. Very pricy and super bling, i think i would buy a monster solely for adding this part, it is stunning in person. Although i never rode one with a stock ohlins, riding this one was extremely comfortable and never placed a foot wrong. I do not remeber the part# from ohlins but it was also a popular S4R mod here, but funny i never see it on any States people though, im sure price was the main issue. im sure no one will ever feel the difference, but it looks so nice on the bike!!!
[Blushing now]

Thanks for the kind words my friend. It makes me feel wonderful to actually be helping other enthusiasts out in a positive way.

If you manage to remember that part #, could you please "PM"/E-mail it to me.?.

Even though I most likely cannot afford it. It would be very interesting to study, and learn about its construction and performance benefits. I love learning about New (new to me anyway) engineering principals. I find it very fascinating.

Thanks ~Steve

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
It would appear there is some S4RS bromance happening here. ;)

Steve, I'm going to get the Utah thing mapped this week--sorry for the delay, man, been super busy.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
The shock is an Ohlins type 46HRCS part number DU333.
It features a remote reservoir and remote preload adjuster.

The mounting positions are as 'supplied' by Ohlins complete with a couple of hose clamps!!!
Not for me. I mounted mine on the subframe under the seat.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Just goes to show that one person's "bling" is another's "blech". If that were the stock configuration, I'd definitely pay extra to remove it from the frame and put it where Chupa has it under the tail. For extra performance, great. For looks, I'd rather have it off the bike entirely.

Sure do like all the Rs pics though! [thumbsup]

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I'd love a remote preload adjuster as I take both my wife and a friend out regularly. Wife less next season as she has her own monster now, but it is a pain to crawl under the bike with the preload wrench(s) before the ride. Makes a huge difference in taking a passenger though.

It's still not at the top of the list.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Quit posting pics of your gorgeous Rs's! Pictures of that pearl white seriously gives me chills (I almost forget to breathe when I see one in person).

I totally have mid-winter bike fever (been looking at 996s today). If you guys don't stop, I might end up with an S4Rs. I'm starting to think that a 620 just doesn't cut it.

But then I remember that I'm 22 and single and my insurance quickly reminds me that a 620 is good for now.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Chupa said:
The shock is an Ohlins type 46HRCS part number DU333.
It features a remote reservoir and remote preload adjuster.

The mounting positions are as 'supplied' by Ohlins complete with a couple of hose clamps!!!
Not for me. I mounted mine on the subframe under the seat.

Thanx for the part #'s Chupa! (Now time for a little self education on rear shock design.) It looks much better to my eye tucked away up under the tail. BTW; Absolutely Stunningly beautiful R you've got there! [Big Thumbsup]

Jeremy, Tried to call ya back. Early May would be fine. I'll check with Tangerine Dream and see if he's up for it.
He he he.........Rally........Rally..........Rally! :)

You're welcome Nick. I don't see why they're so d**n $$$, are they Titanium or some thing?

Here's "Two Fer" for ya Autostrada. (That's Statler's girl in back of Maya.)

Lust is what drives the Passion. >:D Good luck with the insurance rates though. :-\

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
no no, i still love it on the side of the frame. i guess im just too bling.

SHADOWCHASER said:
Thanx for the part #'s Chupa! (Now time for a little self education on rear shock design.) It looks much better to my eye tucked away up under the tail. BTW; Absolutely Stunningly beautiful R you've got there! [Big Thumbsup]

1 - 20 of 35 Posts