Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw a guy riding a BMW today w/ his girl take a fall. He was coming down a hill to a stop sign. He looked left, and the right but neglected to look left again. He pulled out as a car came from the left & beeped him. It sort of startled him, and he put on the brakes while he was still at an angle to make the turn & ended up falling over. We ran out of the car to help him push bike back up & I heard he was really pissed! I'm not sure what I would have done in that situation, but I would probably have fallen over too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
975 Posts
Didn't happen to be a dual sport did it? Those things are tall. Had a local rider do almost the same thing on a group ride the other day, he went to take off from a stop, kind of stalled it mid turn and over they went. His passenger just sprang right off (I guess she was an equestrian horse rider) as the bike tipped over. Thanks goodness for the BMW engine gaurds!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
781 Posts
I almost dropped me Speed 4 in a similar situation. I was exiting a strip mall parking lot out the driveway to my right, when a civic came flying into the driveway on my side. I was in midturn and my only choice was to clamp on the brakes. With the wheel turned at low speed the bike instantly tried to lay down. I had to stand up and muscle the bike but I kept it up. As the civic passed, the 2 HS bitches inside looked at me and laughed.

I was so pissed, but what do you do? It's not worth going to jail over.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dietrich said:
Didn't happen to be a dual sport did it? Those things are tall. Had a local rider do almost the same thing on a group ride the other day, he went to take off from a stop, kind of stalled it mid turn and over they went. His passenger just sprang right off (I guess she was an equestrian horse rider) as the bike tipped over. Thanks goodness for the BMW engine gaurds!
sorry, i'm not too familiar w/ BMWs. They all look alike to me, but it did look tall & he had hard bags on both sides which I'm sure help soften the impact. I've done something similiar with stop & go traffic on a very steep hill. I think the angle is awkward uphill if only your toes can touch ground.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,013 Posts
Sounds like it might have been a GS. Most beemers are built for Viking Giants or something. My second night on my Monster a food delivery guy came right at my through a break in pedistrian traffic. I gabbed the break and it just stopped and started going over. Luckily I was able to pull it out of the drop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
On a slightly related note, don't slow down through your u-turn on a steep hill.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Aguacate said:
On a slightly related note, don't slow down through your u-turn on a steep hill.
+1 on this comment.

I have stupidly made this mistake TWICE on an '01 Honda ACE [heavy cruiser]:

#1 - riding for about 2 weeks at this point [after several years hiatus]...was by myself and tried to turn around on an uphill side street and we both went down...very gently though, luckily no damage to either of us [minus pride].

#2 - riding two up on a date, missed the turn to our destination and found the next drive to turn-around...unfortunately, the drive was a steep uphill
Go to make the turn and wasn't quite looking all the way through and I feel the bike begin to lean more than I was inputing...my foot immediately goes down, bike continues to lean more and more [with passenger still on], finally manage to wrestle the bike and passenger into an upright position [although I came close to redlining the engine during the whole fiasco].
The moral of the story is to never underestimate your strength when your pride is at stake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45,105 Posts
I almost dumped my S4 in a parking lot several months ago.

I'd hit the kill switch while still moving since it was hot out and my bike was running a little on the hot side.

I dumped the clutch as I was turning into a parking space.

Everything would've been fine except that I hadn't ever shifted into neutral. ::)

Caught off guard, I stood there holding my bike at almost a 45 degree angle for a couple of seconds before grunting it upright again.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1 Posts
I think we've all had moments like that.
I hate to admit, even me. :eek:
I am diabetic, so my blood sugar has an actual effect on my ability to ride. One late morning I had to run some errands and decided to take the bike. I was feeling a little light headed, which means my blood sugar is low, but I figured I'd be ok.
I made it to the end of the driveway, braked to a stop and my brain shorted out. I forgot to put a foot down. It's amazing how fast the brain tries to catch up. I kept it from hitting the ground... barely.
I still thought i could keep going.
I stopped at Blockbuster to drop off a movie, and planted my foot right in a greasy oil spot. Nothing like your foot blowing out from under you.
The idiot kept going. I went to the jeweler's to get a new battery put in a watch. Got back on the bike, after about a 1/2 mile I felt a flapping and realized that I hadn't buckled my helmet.
I turned around, went home and turned on the Speed Channel.
Sometimes I have to remind myself, just because it's a beautiful day and I can go riding, it doesn't always mean I should.
Fortunately, those days are pretty rare.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
siemonw said:
I think we've all had moments like that.
I hate to admit, even me. :eek:
I am diabetic, so my blood sugar has an actual effect on my ability to ride. One late morning I had to run some errands and decided to take the bike. I was feeling a little light headed, which means my blood sugar is low, but I figured I'd be ok.
I made it to the end of the driveway, braked to a stop and my brain shorted out. I forgot to put a foot down. It's amazing how fast the brain tries to catch up. I kept it from hitting the ground... barely.
I still thought i could keep going.
I stopped at Blockbuster to drop off a movie, and planted my foot right in a greasy oil spot. Nothing like your foot blowing out from under you.
The idiot kept going. I went to the jeweler's to get a new battery put in a watch. Got back on the bike, after about a 1/2 mile I felt a flapping and realized that I hadn't buckled my helmet.
I turned around, went home and turned on the Speed Channel.
Sometimes I have to remind myself, just because it's a beautiful day and I can go riding, it doesn't always mean I should.
Fortunately, those days are pretty rare.

Man.....drink some OJ and eat a sammich [thumbsup] ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm, I guess I can add a simliar tale. I took train down to pick up my bike from Ferracci in PA and had to ride it back. It was my 1st time w/ M1000s, and my old bike was the lower M620. I had A LOT of trouble with the seat height & power & stalling it in intersection with everyone beeping me. LOL I ended up going for gas & accidentily didn't put the stand all the way down & almost dumped it right at the gas station 15 min. after I got it. LOL Luckily I grabbed the bike but revved the throttle pretty high when I struggled to push it back up. The front wheel went up a bit too.
So embarrassing! :-[
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
975 Posts
That doesn't sound too embarassing, you saved it and got the front wheet up!! People probably thought you were showing off!!
[clap][thumbsup] [clap]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
chipazzo said:
Sounds like it might have been a GS. Most beemers are built for Viking Giants or something.
Yes, they are tall. :eek: My other bike is a GS and with those hard aluminum bags up high, it would be real easy to drop it if it started going over. Luckily, I'm 6'4" and I have the seat set at the highest setting and I can put my heels down flat with some extra bend still in my knees. ;D
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top