Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you know the stock license plate brackets and bolts on late model Monsters weigh in at 440+ grams! I didn't until I took them off and weighed them. I've seen heaps of "performance parts" for hundreds of dollars that can't reduce weight by 440 grams.

A lot of the "tail chops" I've seen remove the curved duck tail. I think that looks OK on late model Monsters but the OEM license plate bracket is another story. It's big, bulky and ugly and it just has to go. (What were Ducati thinking?)

The photo above shows my MY03 M1000Sie with the offending item. Not even the cool, cut-down Strati-pipes (http://www.ducatipipemod.com/) can redeem the rear-end!

After a bit of web crawling I was just about to part with $20 for a straight piece of bar with three holes and a bolt, also known as License Plate Relocator. While this may be a quality part, I never know for sure if it will fit "my model".

Then I saw someone on DML (sorry, can't remember the name) post a picture of a home made bracket. It looked simple enough but the picture only showed it post-instal. It was hard to see exactly what the guy had fabricated to do the job.

So I decided to have a crack and here's what I came up with...

** My License Plate Bracket Mk. I **

The bars are each 33cm long and bent and drilled identically.

The parts are unfinished and look a bit rough but they are virtually invisible on the bike when installed so I may not even paint them. We'll see.

Total cost: About $2 for the cheap alloy bar (1 metre) from the local hardware mega-store.

Tools: Hack saw, drill, vice, ruler, marker, sparkies tape.

I simply bent the 2 alloy bars by fixing them in a vice, side by side, and pressing down on them with a long piece of steen bar. Voila, identical bends on both sides. Too easy.

Time to prepare: About two hours for a first timer.

The total weight of the parts removed was 440 grams. I reused half the original nuts anb bolts. The only new material was the alloy bar and that came to 125 grams.

Net weight saving: 315 grams - 11.25 ounces in medieval measures.

And the end result doesn't look too bad at all....

I kept the rear reflector on as it is a local traffic law requirement. But it is tucked up nice and snug now and looks pretty neat.

I'm not real good with my hands (read computer worker) so I have no doubt anyone else could do as good if not better than I did straight up. So don't be afraid to have a go yourself.

Tip: Part of the plastic I removed, under the seat, acts as a weather shield for the tail light and wiring. I wrapped a bit of sparkies tape around some wire and connectors to ensure everything stays dry in future.

Cheers, Dean (M1000-DS)

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Nice description, and nice job. Post a picture of the side view.

Mitt

H

·
0 Posts
Now, why don't you take the mirrors of and weigh them. Then see how far you can throw them!

M

·
0 Posts
Same with the stock exhaust!!
I just put on CF Sil Hi-Mounts, when I took off the OEM exhaust Holy Crap I almost shat myself on how much heavier they were!! A good 10-12# each ( I didn't way them and I don't know how many grams that is either)

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
I know what you are talking about!

I was a appalled by how heavy my license plate holder and reflector mounts are on my 02 750 monster. I would up using the lisence plate holder as a template cutting out a piece of plastic (from a garbage can cover..lol). I drilled 4 holes in it ;two for the plate and two to mount it to the holes in the fender. To keep reflectors on it i used two of the license plate bolts with reflectors (came on the bike).

It saved a couple of pounds, looks great and cost nothing!

·
Registered
86 Posts
looks MUCH better!

BTW, whose mirror are you using on the left side, and WHY DON'T YOU DO IT ON THE RIGHT? ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mitt: Side pictures coming.

Herb: Already in hand. I have some Hindsights on the way.

Morphine: I am saving up for some CF cans but until then the Strati-pipes are doing the job both weight-wise and sound-wise.

Jbrizz: Sounds interesting. Any pictures? This could be the first time a garbage can has been melded with a Ducati. You may have something unique there!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mtn_Mstr: I tried a cheap mirror from a bicycle shop. It is entirely succesfull. It's ok at 60Kph (40mph) but bends back at faster speeds. I'll toss it when my Hindsight mirrors arrive.

PS. Morphine, there are 28 grams in an ounce (don't ask me how I know that 8) ) so you can do the math from there to #'s.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Ciao Dan,
great bike !

Just take a look now and then on those alloy bars.
Do not let them crack, then you loose Your plate.

I agree with You, the rear is ok without chopping it, the bracket is something to work on. Great post !

SKier

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Side views as promissed:

This one is a comparo to the 1st pic at the top of the thread..

Hear is a 90 degree view.

Thanks for all the positive feedback.

R

·
0 Posts
But how much does the Bagster weigh?
All kidding aside, I like the bagster. I want one for my bike to use on track days. My track leathers really rub the paint off my tanks on my old bikes. I thought it would make a good barrier for track days. I might even have patches put on it. It might even help protect the tank in a low speed grass get off. How much was it?

S

·
0 Posts
Hi M1000DS, nice to see another Australian on this board.
I have an S4 in Melbourne and replaced the tail with a shorter C/F one and the indicators with miniature ones. I also have a clear rear lens.
Plate brackets are homemade from steel bits bought at Bunnings. Only problem is grit getting in the tail light contacts, like you.
Cheers
Stefan

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RDD: The bagster came as part of the original purchase, with dealer discount it was about $300 Ausie ($240US). You can get one from the Ducati catalogue for about twice that but it has "Ducati Performance" stamped on it so the bike goes much faster ;)

I hadn't thought of using it on the track, I only use it on long distance runs. Not a bad idea though.

Since this photo was taken I glued a couple of flying "Ducati Meccanica" stickers on the sides and it looks pretty good.

I'd say go for it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts