Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shopping for a first bike, I visited the local dealer today. They sell H&nda/Yamaha/Triumph/MotoGuzzi/Ducati/Aprilia, etc.

They had assorted Superbikes, Supersports, and a black Multistrada. They had two monsters on the floor, a '04 620 dark and a yellow '02 900Sie, both new.

I talked to the Ducati sales guy there, who I have communicated with via email for a while. Originally, I was looking for an '03 or '04 800.

Sitting on the 900, it shure felt great. Before, I wasn't sold on yellow--I was originally shopping for red, but in person, the yellow did stand out the most in the room, so now it's growing on me.

The guy brought up the 900 in conversation before I asked to sit on it, mentioning, "I can get you a great deal on that 900", although we didn't get around to him naming a price on that one because it was near closing time when I visited.

It still had the little tag on it with $10,999 on it, which was probably the price before. Obviously that's too high for a new 2002, but what would be a fair OTD offer in your opinion?

I'll give them their fair profit, but I don't want to get burned.

The guy also said he'd get a 800 if I still wanted that instead.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and tips.

On a side note, it may seem funny, but I hadn't actually seen any Ducatis up close in person until today, and man they stand out big time!

-sah-

garage contents:
-saab 900t SPG
-monster 900? ;)

·
Registered
827 Posts
IMO Screw their profit. Get the best price you can. I'd think they'd be itching to get an 02 off the floor.

·
Registered
221 Posts
you sound very much like me with your taste....my first car was a Saab 900 also. loved it.

I have a 2000 900 dark. She is pure evil.

I was going to take "el diablito" to central america with me in the next few months. As it turns out, i think that is going to be a very bed decision...the import taxes are way too high. I am going to wind up selling her (along with everything else i own) here in the states.

I don't know where you live, but i aill take $5500 for her.

Perfectly maintained, new tires, chain, clip ons, CF exhaust the works.

Let me know [email protected]

Dan

·
Registered
403 Posts
Just to let you know I bought in August '03 a new monster S4 for $10,800 out the door.

I think it may have been a little high, and kinda like Mike said get the best price you can, hardball them, believe me they are not going to "lose" money but may be happy to break even to get rid of the '02.

I would think in the $9500.00 range. But I also think some of the members have a lot more experience in princing than I do.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
I would go for the 900, it's always nice to have two 900's in the garage ;). Them bike is already two years old so they should have plenty of incetive to sell. I would make my first offer very low, somewhere in the 8 thousand range and then gauge their reaction. Where are you located?

D

·
0 Posts
Bought a monster 800 dark 2003 new on March 31 out the door for $7500 in Asheville NC

B

·
0 Posts
Shopping for a first bike....
At the risk of being a buzzkill :(

I think that a M900ie might be a bit much for a first bike. Everyone has different abilities and aptitudes, but generally speaking... 620 or smaller used bike would a better choice for a new rider. Have you taken the MSF basic rider course yet?

Well...it IS almost Mother's Day....Someone HAD to do it...right? ;D

·
Registered
237 Posts
my 900 is my first bike. it all depends on your confidence level and your wallet.

you can come a lot lower than that for that 2002 M900s

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies.

I'm located in Lexington, KY.

I was originally considering the 620 when I first looked at the ducs, but at 6'4", it seemed too small for me. So I was considering a new 800 until I saw the 2002 900 they had on the floor, figuring I could get a good deal on it. I could sit on that with both feet flat on the ground, and the seat felt good, but I forgot to test the peg position.

I like the 2002 because of some of the changes made that year to the 900S.

The wet weight of the 1000 is only 20 pounds more than the 620, and only about 100 pounds more than me, so I figure the 900 is probably close to or less than that. From what I've read from other monster owners, the power curve is pretty new-rider friendly, and I'm mature enough not to go twistin' away on the throttle for a while. I know this goes against the "buy a 250cc first" philosophy from a lot of the non-ducati owners, but most of them don't recommend any model of ducati as a first bike, and there seem to be a lot of folks here who started on a 750 or 900. But I am not close-minded to advice, especially from those more experienced.

I'll be in California on vacation next week, so I'll think about it, and then maybe I'll offer $8000 and see where they go from there.

-sah-

·
Registered
97 Posts
Go for the 900, we got my wife's M900 for $8200 OTD, it is a new 2000 model, we got it last year, prices should be pretty close, 2 year old new bike for $8200 OTD.
My buddy just got a 2003 M900 dark for $7700 OTD.
BTW, my fisrt bike was my 1999 M900S, if you are careful and take it easy for the first few months you should be fine.
Good luck with your new bike and Welcome to the Monster world. ;D

·
Registered
376 Posts
I got my 02' M900 last July for $8000 out the door, I'd offer less than that now, maybe $7000-$7500? Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts