Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I commute an hour to work and needless to say my arse is sore every morning. Any recommendations on which seat is the best? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I only have experience w/ the ducati gel seat, and I wouldn't go back to stock. The difference is significant for both the rider and especially the passanger. The seat also helps to keep your ass (and balls) from sliding into the tank. [thumbsup] My only complaint is that the rear part of the rider cushion is a bit far back, making it seem as though it were designed for someone taller than 5'9; either that, or someone who uses high up rearsets with low clipons. In other words, if I had the resources, I might tailor it slightly more to my taste.
Many people have also had success with sargent, which is made w/ leather and not the synthetic material dp uses. Between those two, I don't think you can go wrong, so choose the one you think looks best, and fits your price range.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
I've heard lots of advice on seats as this is something I've been contemplating for a cross country ride this summer.

The pro's for the Ducati gel have been the seating comfort, the drawback was that the hot gel in the summer gives you some roasted buns and potatoes.

The pro's for the Sargent seat are so long and numerous it is ridiculous, but a key highlight was the comfort and underseat storage.

I've only heard that the Corbin is a lesser Sargent and having seen them both don't think the finish is quite as nice.

It is truly a "to each his own" so you will need to find these and test them out yourself. Seating comfort is truly subjective.

·
Registered
505 Posts
ATO Memphis said:
I've only heard that the Corbin is a lesser Sargent and having seen them both don't think the finish is quite as nice.
I thought Corbin's advantage was that it gave more thought to Pillion comfort as opposed to the rest., which leave the Pillion area the same as stock.

It's also supposed to be good for the vertically challenged crowd.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I love my Sargent!...a month after I got it...I rode with a couple guys up to Canada....1st leg/day...we rode well over 800 miles and I was without butt sores or problems...and was able to get back on the next day without regret or stiffness or anything!....and it has more cargo capacity than the stocker by light years....the Corbin I believe has none!...and the Sargent also has nice little fold out hooks for bungee-ing stuff to the pillion part if need be!...

·
Registered
705 Posts
Corbin [thumbsup]. I don't see how the finish could be better... and yes the pillion area is greatly improved. I like the overall look with the passenger area dished out.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Given that the stock seat I was running was probably nearly 11 years old the Sargent seat I bought is an immense improvement. If passenger seating is important, I'd say that the Sarget has the best looking passenger portion when you're not using a cowl. Actually, you can't use the rear cowl if you get a Corbin, or so I hear. You can on a Sargent but it'll be a tight fit. My girl doesn't like riding as long on the Sargent though since it has a very rounded passenger section and it makes her butt sore faster than hte old seat.

The Sargent definitely pushes you away from the tank, though. I'm 5'4 with my boots on and the normal Sargent seat pushed me too far away from the handlebars so I had to get it custom altered. I could also barely touch the floor. Pricey but I'm very happy with what I've got now.

The seat bungee hooks are cool too. Not as secure as using the handlebars but keeps the hooks away from the corners of your side panels and rear fender. The underseat storage is huge too! ;D

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've been on all seats except the DP, and I have a Sargent. The stock is just that...stock. Pushes your yoo hoos into the tank and very uncomfortable, but gives a lot of room for sport riding. I since then bought a sargent, and it feels like a granny seat compared to the stock. It's much larger, heavier, and wider, raises your seat height, and is much harder to move around on for sport riding, but is definitely the most comfortable of the bunch. It took a little getting used to since the width seemed to get in the way of my legs, but after about 3 weeks, it felt fine. The Corbin is not as big or wide as the Sargent nor as heavy, but is more comfy than the stock, and has more manueverability than the Sargent. Kind of a give and take kind of thing.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I think you need to find out what your talking about...

http://corbin.com/ducati/monster7.shtml

dished out passenger section, narrow seat, excellent finish - heck you can get it in about 1000 configurations - and yes the rear cowl will fit.

Look at the Sargent 3 panels - Corbin has 5. Sargent has no improvement to passenger section and it is much wider - Corbin is narrow and low. The Sargent does have the storage and hook features.

Both are excellent upgrades!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Motophile, there are so many options on that Corbin. Do you have one? If so what type of covering did you get?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Had all three Sargents the best if your inseam is 32 inches or longer.

·
Registered
128 Posts
DESMOWORLD SEAT!!!!!!! ;D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
I have both a corbin and a sargent. Both are far better than stock. The corbin has a much better passenger section, but not nearly as plush as the sargent for riding single. I do a lot of touring on my monster and have done week+ long trips on both and the sargent is simply far more comfortable.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I've owned a Corbin and DP gel seat (plus the stock seat of course ;D )

I've still got the Ducati Performance seat; it's infinitely more comfortable than the Corbin, which to me, was just too hard. Absolutely no complaints with it quality-wise or for two or three hours of riding, but after about three and a half, the Corbin was too hard.

DP all the way then - picked mine up from my Duc dealer for $219.00 out-the-door. Nice quality (STM brand which is German-made apparently) and really, really comfortable for long cruises.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts