Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone up for a run through the San Gabrial Mountains tomorrow? That ride two weeks ago was too much fun.

I rode around Palomar today, the whole time thinking, "This ain't sh!t".

Of course, I didn't freeze my a s s off either...

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Came home early (last night rather then Sun.) from my trip and checked the board to see what ride I would show up at. There wasn't any! Too bad I can't go tomorrow.
Bummer.

I didn't leave here until 11, and went solo. I didn't think I could get away, so I didn't post.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Well, here's the thing. The Monster is out of comission. Wanted to take it out today only to discover that one of the frame sliders was broken clean off and the oil pressure sensor was ripped off. I have no clue how that happened. The dogs? Maybe, but if a dog can break a Cycle Cat slider without leaving some serious marks I've bought the wrong product (wouldn't be the first time).

Anyway, dunno yet how serious the damage is, and don't want to find out that the engine mounting bolt has come undone doing triple digits down Upper Big T. Time to rip off the tank and finally send it in to have the dent pulled, I guess.

Now there's still the R6, but that thing is undergoing a major identity crisis - it thinks it's a cruiser. Won't turn, will kick back at me, wants to run wide only to suddenly tuck its front mid-corner... To call the 2nd-generation R6 suspension the biggest piece of sh1t ever devised by man would be flattery.

Since I have NO money to spend on aftermarket suspension bits right now I will have to run what I brung for the next couple months and work with what I've got. The R6 is no fun as it is (not to say downright dangerous), so before I take it out again I'll have to fiddle with my base settings some more. I can do that in the morning and would be up for an extended test ride in the afternoon, but can't commit to anything right now. I think I have your number in the archives somewhere, I'll give you a holler once I know when (and if) I'll be able to make it out tomorrow. Retro is busy in the AM as well but might be up for an afternoon run? We'll see.

Dunno how this post got so long, over and out for now.

-R.

G

·
No go for me. My mortality has caught up with me and I'm laying off the triple digit stuff until I can get some nice dead cow for my protection...

I'm hoping to find a good deal at the bike show. Anybody had any experience with these shows and vendors cutting people deals at them?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Kush1tani just opened a shop on Lincoln Blvd just south of Washington (north of Bartels) in Venice/ Marina del Rey. They have an opening sale on whatever they have in stock thru December - as low as $1.000 for a one-piece suit. An excellent price for Kush1tani, especially considering that their stuff never goes no sale; of course I don't know what your budget is....

There are always good deals on Spidis on eBay - Hooks for $500.-, Noricks for a little over that. Those are prime quality, too.

-R.

G

·
of course I don't know what your budget is....
Cheap to poor is my budget :( just check out the huge number of mods to my expensive scoot' for proof...

That is a really good deal for Kush gear, i've never read or heard a bad thing about them. The crazy fact I do know them is that they breed there own cattle for the leather they use. Thet level of detail is amazing and rare these days.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Most custom houses offer discounts during the off-season months. I know Z Leathers in HB does, but you have to call them on it - you could prolly get a custom 1-piece for about $1300 right now (not a quote, just a guess based on what I know I paid for my wife's suit).

BTW Tom, did you end up riding the Crest? I didn't get done with my suspension until around 1pm and only went for a short test ride in Malibu. Much better now, but far from perfect. We'll see how the new tires affect the handling next week.

-R.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You might shoot Frans an email to see what he has on sale or maybe he has some returns he'll make a deal on. I've bought a couple things from him and he was most helpful (like having his employees compare their bare feet to to my faxed tracing :)).

btw, his "bargains" web page is not up to date, so you really do have to ask.

http://www.dainese.be/en/moto/intro/index.htm

Also, you can sometimes find good deals on used alpinestars on eBay.

Ryan, no I didn't ride today. I wimped out. Hopefully, I cleared enough honey-do's for next weekend.

Unless it rains, I'm going to ride next weekend. My bike is going in for the battery-acid-repair right after the Long Beach show on the 13th, and the shop says it will take a month, sooooo....

That's really weird about the CC sliders (or the dog).

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ditto about Frans. I just picked up some pants and boots from his shop and have been throughly impressed with both the price and the great service!

G

·
ummm Frans works where?

Thanks for all the help with my quest for cheap, nice, leathers. Well two out of three ain't bad. ;D

The Dainese bargin bin is the funnist stuff i've ever seen, it's like Miami Vice meets Duran Duran meets euro trash.

G

·
Franz I believe is the Belgian shop....and yep some of the Dainese
is pretty fugly but then there seems to be a lot of that out there
with all the leathers.......why is that.....?
Maybe we could have some SoCal leathers designed and made.

G

·
Sat. sounds good since the next weekend is the Long Beach Show. Is Glendora Mtn. Rd. still open? Just an idea.

Oh yeah 108....well my dad can beat up my mom, so there. I'm positive that you can drink more beer than me, my best drinking years were when I was 16-20, now I'm a cheap date, two beers and it's over.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Thanks, I'm at a loss to express how much I didn't need that visual. :-X Damm!t, where is that pukey smilie....

I think Tom/Infoage is thinking ACH, but maybe we can talk him into a spin on GMR/GRR.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
How about both ACH & GMR/GRR!!?? ;D

Been freezing in St. Louis, MO for a week and miss riding A LOT!!

Of course need to ride ACH first (as if that is a big surprise) and would love to try GMR/GRR. Haven't been on that road since my harley :-X days!

Will check the post to see what you all decide.

Home tomorrow......wooooo hoooo!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts