Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question came up this morning: If you are looking at replacing the stock wheels with cast or forged magnesium wheels, should you go with exactly the same width as stock (5.5" on my S4), or is there any complelling reason to go to, or NOT go to, a wider wheel?

Being a novice on wheels, it occurs to me that a wider wheel might theoretically improve traction a bit (maybe?), but would also weigh more, be a little more resistant in handling response, might potentially come close to hitting other parts in its proximity (e.g. the rear brake hydraulic line), and might require a different tire (wider) which adds more weight yet and more cost.

What do the mod experts say?

Jim G

S

·
0 Posts
wider rim = pimpin
stock width rim = better handling

you'll need a wider rim for a wider rear tire if you're stomping out big power. by big power, i mean more power than your s4's capable of after $5k of engine tuning.
remember that a wider rim/tire is heavier -> more gyroscopic effect -> slower turn-in.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
You ccould easily fit a 180 or 190 rear tire on a 5.5" rim, which would look very fat from behind. I don't see a reason to go bigger on a sport bike type setup...

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sliver: Is that tire mounted on a STOCK wheel???

It didn't HIT anything else on the bike??

Jim G

S

·
0 Posts
Ground up build with a custom wheel and frame. 250 tire looks cool but doesn't handle fot sh!t!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Jim,

I purchased forged Magnesium rims for my bike and stayed with the stock size on the rear. I feel as though the engineers are way smarter than me and the put a 5.5" on it for a reason. Also, a 5.5 is optimal for a 180 tire, and its gotta weigh at least a tiny bit less than the 5.75 or 6"

Just my $.02

Jeff

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Hey sliver,

Is that an R60/2 that I see lurking in the shadows?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts