Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what people here thought about buying a bike with a salvage titile? How many would walk away and never look back if one was told the bike had a salvage title? The bike is a Ducati Monster 750ie 2002. And according to the current owner, the bike was dropped and dented the tank, side panel, also bent the stock handle bars. If you were still interested in a bike like this, what special precautions would you goto before you bought? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. The bike is a Dark and he has as price of $4700 with 535 miles. too high?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would check on the insurance... could be a problem with some companies... Not sure though. And I don't know if that is high $ or not, but I would try and get him as low as you can... remmember, it is going to have a salvage title if you ever decide to sell it too!

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
In my opinion, salvage titles drop the value of the bike $1K-$2K.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I've got a bike with a salvage title.

One thing to remember is that the salvage title is a product of the insurance industry, not the safety and roadworthyness industry. You could buy a bike that's been through a lot more and not have a salvage title if the owner didn't have full coverage, or chose not to make a claim.

It doesn't take much to total a Ducati (I had a friend that had a 900SS that would have been totalled from being blown over by the wind if he had chosen to make the claim). Since many insurance companies don't have appraisers for motorcycles, some people get a high estimate so they can get a new bike.

Make sure the frame is straight and solid, and get a mechanic to look at the rest of it if you can.

I'd do it if I was getting a bike really cheap because of the title, but I think $4700 is a bit much for a M750 with a salvage title.

It'll be harder to sell and worth less, but if you're looking for a bike to ride (and particularly if you plan on making lots of mods anyway), it can be one way to get the bike you want for less.

--Fillmore

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
I recently (9/18/03, to be exact) picked up a salvage monster off of ebay. Same bike, too. 2002 M750 Sie w/ 680 miles. Bike was totaled due to cosmetics (tank dent road-rash on fenders, cowl, frame, clutch cover), twisted-up foot levers (brake and shifter), ruined right fork (crushed) and...the real kicker...a busted off kickstand mounting bung/tab/nipple-thingie which left a void in the case and a hairline crack into the 'oil pan'...My best friend has his own body shop, so the cosmetics were fixed for the price of the paint ($60), fork was $187 from gdlcycles.com. I spoke w/ a tig welder I know and he said he 'could' weld the case, but I'd have to break-down the entire motor so he could pre-heat the part...w/ only having 680 miles, I was uncomfortable w/ this situation. I used jbweld to fix the crack and mocked-up a bracket to carry the weight from the kickstand to 2 other points and put a centerstand on (kickstand will ONLY be used in emergencies)...so far, so good. I'm currently awaiting the processing of my paperwork by NY DMV (it's a NY Salvage title) so I can get it legal. I sent it in 12/7 and, as of 2/16/04, they're still processing 11/03's applications...here's a before and after...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bike im looking has been fixed, new tank, and the little bodywork that needed to be done was fixed aslo. But this is according to the person selling the bike. I also contacted Moto Primo, a Ducati dealer here in Mn and asked about having them check the bike over, so before i buy i will do that, only $65. The thing that kinda worries me is insurance? Does anyone have insurance on a salvaged bike? Im not sure how that works, but i know that it affect the resale value, but how much? any guesses? Would an offer of $4k be a slap in the face??

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Is it still a 'salvaged' title, or has he gone through the process of getting the 'reconstructed' title? If it's still at salvage status, there's alot of waiting to do to get it legal (see above...and i didn't mention the fact that I'll have to take it to NY (i live in SE PA) at THEIR convenience to get it inspected) and lots of red-tape...VIN #s for used parts, receipts, etc...If it's an "R" title, you're much better off...but, IMHO, $4000 is still too much...I dropped alot of coin on accessories for mine, and, even counting a jacket and helmet, haven't reached that point (yet ;D).

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
In my experience, getting liabillity insurance is not a problem, but it's harder to get comp & collision. You can often get theft insurance for it though, just like on an untitled race bike or dirt bike.

The title process varies by state for a salvage title bike. In NV, you still have a "salvage" title, but you can register it once it passes a safety inspection. In other states you get a new "Reconstructed" title after it's passed some kind of inspection and paperwork.

--Filmore

S

·
0 Posts
Hey I don't know if it's still for sale but iamic has one for sale in the classifieds 02 750. Has all kinds of aftermarket parts and is asking less than the one you are looking at. If you need to ship it I shipped mine from Cal to Portland Or and it was about 350. May be worth looking into, by the way I think the asking price is too high.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Two of the three Ducatis I've owned had salvage titles. In California, the term "salvage" means the bike was written off by the insurance company and has been made roadworthy again. There is some other term to describe the bike before it is made legal to go back on the road again.

Typically, a motorcycle loses about 20% of its value compared to an identical one with a clean title. They can be good deals if all you're concerned with is riding it.

When I went to insure my ST2, my insurance agent told me that having a salvage title made no difference at all as to how they could cover it. I got minimum coverage anyway, just to keep the costs down.

I'm just waiting for a really, really low price on a salvage title Monster before I buy another one. Then I won't have any hesitation stripping it to the bare essence of what a motorcycle should be. 8)

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Hey Scott,

I've noticed a couple salvage title Multistradas in CA in the last month... ;D

--Fillmore

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Scsott there was a monster on ebay recently that was salvage but only cosmetic damage. it went pretty cheap. I got to admit that salvage has always scared me away, mainly with legal issues ; getting liscensed with state and insurance etc. The only thing i know for sure about salvage titles is that it is harder to get a loan for them. My credit union will not loan any salvage titles :'( NIce job Hinkle 8)

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
When I put my bike on the ground, I was one more replacement part (header) away from the bike being totaled. My bike had ONLY cosmetic damage. My point is, these bikes tend to not be worth much used, and new replacement parts are EXPENSIVE, especially the tank. So a bike CAN be totally good to go, but be totaled by the Ins company.

For the redcord my bike had the following things F'd up.
Tank dented
Brake MC scratched up
Front Signal scratched up
Right Mirror
Right engine case dinged up a bit
rear brake lever
Header was scratched up

To replace all that stuff would have totaled the bike. So I told them to NOT replace the header and there ya go!

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
personally, i wouldn't pay more than half value for a salvage bike. usually the insurance companies sell them for 25% of value. there is also less equity in the bike. it is also important to check your local laws concerning registration. in NY, you must trailer the bike to and from the inpection center. the fee for inspection is, i think, $140. all your documents must be in order. if they are not, you do it again and pay again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all of the great input everyone. I did some research and here in Mn a salvage titles can be "cleaned" and turned back into a clear titles (kinda). The title still says it was at one point a salvage but after proper documentation and inspection ($40) the bike has a new clean title. So that is good for me, because the perosn im buying from already has had this done and the title is clear. Thanks again everyone.

M

·
0 Posts
I've experienced the State Police's handling of re-titling and inspection of a salvage bike , and it's not pleasant. First of all, you are considered a hoodlum just being a "biker" second , they think everything you replaced on the bike is "hot" and it's true, you have to trailer bike in and wait , parked outside "their yard "all day with a huge sign that says, "no public bathrooms"
Even when you get it all rightly done, in Mass. you still get a titled stamped "salvage" and it probably worth more like 30% less.
Don't even start to show them emails to EBAY for reciepts, they hate internet buying.
I also have an 01 750 m with a clear title that I would probably sell for $4,500.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts