Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I realize that this is sort of a gear related topic, but I am more concerned with the general safety issue than the gear itself. I was just wondering if most of you guys wore riding pants most of the time, or just wore jeans.
I personally wear a riding jacket, helmet, and gloves, and leave it at that. I guess I figure there are no vital organs in my legs, so its not worth looking stupid/+paying $400 for pants. Also, I have the feeling that if I bought pants, I would probably not go to the trouble of putting them on unless I was going for a long ride or it was cold.
Does anyone have strong feelings that we should all wear leather pants? or do most of you guys honestly not wear your riding pants anyway when you are going for a short or medium length ride...

·
Registered
115 Posts
I wear leather pants with padding and armor every day I commute in Seattle traffic. I'm not sure if my worries are well founded, but my biggest fear is being hit by a car, so I'm more concerned when I'm commuting at 40 mph in a high volume of traffic than going 75 down a deserted road.

I dropped my bike a couple of months ago making a right hander (after one of our famous rains--no one's fault but my own). The bike landed on my leg and then slid off. The knee of my pants was scuffed, but no injury. I would have been really unhappy with myself if I would have had to deal with a bleeding/bruised leg AND my dinged bike...

I've never heard anyone tell a story about falling off their bike in jeans and not losing some skin. As you pointed out, there's no vital organs, so chances are, you're not going to die from the injury, but do you really want the pain and scars?

That being said, I'm a hypocrite. If I'm going to cruise to the cafe/coffee shop on the weekend, I wear jeans. I try to take it easy and use the road less travelled. Do I consider it risky? Yes, but I'm comfortable enough to do it on the weekends when there isn't much traffic.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats exactly my point, I never drive in heavy traffic, or commute on the bike. I feel like I am a pretty safe driver, and will not fall unless someone hits me. I wear upper body protection in case I am wrong (so I don't die). I just don't see the point of getting the ultra expensive pants if EVERYBODY who owns them admits to not wearing them on short trips.
Most trips are short trips!

I am so torn! Everybody agrees they are essential to my wardrobe, but I feel like it is also totally normal to not wear leg protection under most riding circumstances...

M

·
0 Posts
I bought a full set of leathers when they went on sale. $250 for a $650 set (After I got a pair of draggin jeans and a ballastic jacket: I will let passengers use these now).

At any rate I now only wear the leathers. More visible with all the reflective insets. i think of them as my seat belt like when I am in a car: you may never need, but if you do?) Leathers also keep my legs warm in cold weather.

Tom.

·
Banned
551 Posts
Seattle Stallion - I see your point - and I am one of those people that more times than not only throws on my jeans (all other gear on though, including proper boots) when I am just going down the street 10 minutes. And those 10 minutes never turn into a longer ride.

I think you will find that statistics do show that the majority of accidents happen within a very small radius of "home". In that - most people are just popping down to the shop, or just going to pick up a pizza. The majority of those trips you won't be going very fast - but it doesn't take alot of speed to do some damage.

The way I look at it - my legs are more important than my arms - you can do alot more if you aren't in a wheelchair. I ride every so often with a guy with one arm - I think it would be harder to stay in the saddle with one leg.

Full gear for me 99% of the time. Works for me. But like people say on other threads here - we are all taking a measured risk by riding in the first place - where does one draw the line, open face helmet? No Gloves? No pants - or maybe thin pants? Plus in seattle - I would think that some gear would keep your legs drier riding in all that rain. ;D

T

·
0 Posts
Thru the years, I've often lapsed into jeans.....wearing the leather bottoms only for weekenders or running the canyon.

M

·
0 Posts
I wear jeans and a ballistic jacket made of mesh,but i'm in the market for leather jacket and pants.You can never be to careful.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Personally I just feel better when I'm wearing leather pants, I feel safer plain and simple...it doesn't make me want to ride like a squid, but there is some satisfaction in knowing that there is a little more between me and the road than a pair of jeans. I've also noticed that my seat seems way more comfortable when I wear my leather pants-so maybe they will pay for themselves by me not having to replace the seat.

I did order some mesh textiles that I can wear over shorts for this summer though...it gets hot here 95 degrees and 90% humidity will be no fun in full leathers.

gnew

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
ok, I know this dont look like much, but it was a 5-10mph low side. I was wearing jeans, jackket gloves, helmet. The knee hit first and it was to the bone. The skin peeled back revealing a lovely flesh and bone momento of the occasion. If you go into the misc photos on the main page there is a section for crashes and wrecks. Look at the pics and you will noticew most people do wear full gear. Around town I still wear jeans, but I honestly feel safer wearing my leathers. I am not trying to preach- just provide info :D
ok the pic didnt work, here is the link:
http://www.ducatimonster.org/ImageFolio3_files/skins/classic/images/pixel.gif

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
At the very least... >

Pick up a pair of mesh tex pants you can either wear over your jeans or by themselves with shorts. Not nearly as inconvenient as going for skin grafts. ;)

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
.... so its not worth looking stupid...
Nope. Don't want to "look stupid." ;)

I think that

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I tried sliding down the road six months ago with textile riding pants rather than leather and now have a permanent scar on my upper leg as a reminder.

I wear leather riding pants if I'm going anywhere more than about 10 miles away. I'll be doing a 30-mile lunchtime ride today with some friends and I'll definitely put on leather pants for that.

You can get decent leather pants for as low as $150 from Cycle Gear. Don't let cost hold you back.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Don't forget about boots! I see tons of Biker Boyz here wearing jacket, helmet, gloves....and tennis shoes. Stupid....

R

·
0 Posts
I tend to ride in jeans and jacket around town also. When I commute at night to work, I wear my leathers over my hospital scrubs. Boots are important too.
In a nut shell, you don't dress for the ride. You dress for the crash. Jeans don't help much, but they do help. I would rather go down in my leathers any day.
The road rash you get in any crash will hurt you more then and broken bone. I have seen too many guys laying in my ER having nurses brushing the pavement out of there wounds. It takes a long time and hurts alot. I have also seen people grind off shin right to and thru some bone.
IT does not matter how safe you are. Someday somewhere something will happen out of your control. And its up to you how prepared you will be.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I wear jeans.
And leathers over them.
When I arrive at work I switch on the PC, and while the computer is booting I take off my leather suit, put on my regular shoes (mwb is right: wear boots!). Taking off the leather takes me just the time it takes the PC to start up.
It's all a habit... recently I started wearing a spine protector. At first it felt strange, and restrictive. Now it feels strange when I don't wear it.

R

·
0 Posts
Some perhaps interesting tidbits:
Injury patterns over the last twenty years show legs are the area most commonly injured. Also percentage wise the most fractures and soft tissue damage. Over 50% of motorcyclists do not wear leg protection,
even though they are the most common points of injury.
Shorts trips, and hot weather were the most common reasons for not wearing protective gear. Oh denim lasts .6 seconds abraded.

Related tidbit:
There are EU standards issued in late 2002 (PPE, 89/686EEC).
MCN (May, '03) tested 18 suits from Europes main manufacturers. Only 4 passed. Two thirds failed seam burst tests. Impact protectors failed 8 times. The one textile suit failed all tests.
Note EU standards are minimum requirements. It appears manufacturers
are not rushing out to have their suits tested and approved.
http://www.pva-ppe.org.uk/PART 4 COMPLIANCE & CONTROVERSY.htm

I've only had a couple of incidents myself, one not too long ago. Both times pretty good butt slides...glad I wasn't wearing chaps...I think a little research shows the value of wearing leg and foot protection.
Which I guess is being redundant, as it should be obvious, however it's your life. Take the risks you want to, I personally always wear protection, simply becasue I figure if it let's me ride again instead of not, I'll take riding.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
OK, this thread has me excited to buy more gear now!!

I used to be a HD rider and will admit that I didn't wear proper gear because it didn't look cool. :-[ I always WANTED to wear the cool gear but didn't wanna look stupid.

Last year I finally sold the HD and bought my dream bike (m900)!!! Now i can wear the proper gear. I have my helmet, jacket and gloves taken care of, just need to get pants and boots now!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts