Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the weather gas been getting nice, I have been going for longer rides! It would be nice to not have to wear a backpack to put my extra gear in. So, I was thinking of getting some soft saddle bags.

The only catch is that I have high carbon-fiber pipes. They don't get very hot so I was wondering if would hurt to have the bags resting against them?

Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any brand that makes special ones?

W

·
0 Posts
I just picked up the tourmaster cortech saddlebags and they are fairly high, but they do recomend you leave 2 inches from the pipes. you could always put high temp pipe tape on the bottoms of the bags if they are close and you have a problem. The bags retail around $140.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Guys, he has hi mount pipes. Tape on the bottom of the bags won't help. Would need to use tape/insulation on the side of the bags.

You should also try to use some type of "standoff" so that the bags are not in contact with the pipes. Even a small (1/2 to 1 inch) will help a lot.

I just picked up the tourmaster cortech saddlebags and they are fairly high, but they do recomend you leave 2 inches from the pipes.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I know this is an old old post I'm resurecting, but the starting question is the same as mine. So no need for a new thread right?

I'd be picking up cortech sport style.

So has anyone have an answer for the above question? I also have some CF highmounts, and I'd like some saddle bags. The cans don't get hot at all - so haveing the bags resting on them won't be a heat issue. But the pipes do make the hind end below the seat a little wider - would this cause any fit troubles?

Anyone use saddle bags along with high CF pipes?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I don't think you guys will be happy putting the cortech saddle bags on a bike with high mounts no matter how you configure it...My gf and I used the cortech sport bags last year on a x-country trip. I was on an m620 with DP carbon fiber low mounts, and the luggage hung above the cans. In spite of that, using them daily, road ware vibration etc, by the end of the trip they were trashed. If the make contact, at all, with the cans they road vibration/rubbing will destroy them quickly. They are great for the price but they won't last using your setup.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Was it the pipes that got trashed or the bags? I couldn't quite tell by your post.

If it was the bags - do you think some of the 'saver' mesh that you can get from Aerostitch would help?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well the bags got trashed...because we rode 13 K miles, in spite of the fact that I "tried' to take care of them. The neoprene was shredded, the heat shield bottom got worn though...Lots of duck tape by the end. I thinks it's from riding at 80 mph, when you take a bump things vibrate, the bags sag, etc. I'm just worried that if mine wore out with no direct contact from with cans, that if you have high mounts they will wear really quick. Also the carbon fiber might start to loose its finish if rubbed repeatedly? I don't know...

For my S2R1000 I might try these...I know they were designed for a gold wing, but the look a lot higher quality...really solid...the cortech are flimsey... than the cortech tail bag...I looked at them on Saturday at a dealer who had both.

http://motorcycle-luggage.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MLK4147&Category_Code=Kuryakyn&Product_Count=5

1 - 7 of 7 Posts