Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP !

Does anyone have a good suggestion as to what kind of saddle-bags one should get for a Monster 600 Dark -00
... that look GOOD, can carry some stuff <and> makes having a passenger still possible
(or isn't saddle-baggs the way to go <:-O)

I have now ordered ... waited ... tried ... returned ... ordered ... waited ... tried ... returned 2 kinds of "Ducati bags" :-((

The first set were REALLY good looking (Italian d e s i g n kinda like portable-PC cases) and came with "fittings" that were nice and pretty "invisible"
BUT they were very "thin" AND worst of all, the fitting resulted in the rear foot-pins becoming unusable = no passenger
(in addition I received 2 right-bags and no left :-())

The second set were labeld "Ducati performance" and more "traditional" ... and small (although "expandable" = thicker) and allowd the passenger to have legs and feet :))
BUT they came with an UGLY metal frame ... really terrible I tell you ... that I in fact didn't even install (it didn't fit very well "physically" either)
These bags seemed to be ok to carry withouth this uggly "frame", but the odd thing was that there was <nothing> to keep the bags in place ... no "locks" or straps or anything ... except the ones over the saddle
(I guess that strapping them under the saddle would hold it in place, but that way they didnt fit half as well, and put "strain" either on the tail-indicators or on the small plastic "covers" at the top-middle of the frame)

Any GOOD suggestions and/or experiences ?

KSS

M

·
0 Posts
I don't know the model # but I've got a set of sport bags from Teknic. No brackets - there's a large vinyl strap with a couple velcro strips on each bag that join together over the seat, and then a couple clip on straps you can use underneath to secure it. They work fine, hold lots, look fine and allow use of the pass. footpegs. I think they were around $140CDN.

V

·
0 Posts
Hey man

Where did you buy your bags from, if you don't mind me asking?

P

·
0 Posts
If you want hard bags-check out Givi.
They will grow on you.

I started running just a top bag on my Triumph and it makes the bike so much more usable because you have a way to carry groceries, etc. The lid flips up and the bags are level so it is easier to load and unload than side panniers (that is what Triumph calls them-I'm not really sure how to pronounce that word correctly ;) )

It takes a while for the top bag only look to grow on you-but I like the look now. In addition, when you cross some fellow motorcyclist and start shooting the bull you will mention you have Monster (Triumph in my case) with a Top Bag on the rear and they will say-cool I saw you riding the other day-you must be the only person who runs around with a top bag.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions !
I don't have any picks of my bike and baggs, but you can see them all on the Ducati.com shop-site ... the MandarinaDuck "PC-portfolios" and the soft "Ducati performance" saddle baggs.

Someone suggesterd "hard panniers".
From the picks I've seen those look kinda "heavy" on a Monster
... but that's OK when they are <needed>
BUT what about when they're off !??

What do the "frames" look like ... Givi or others ... do they "blend in" or not ?

KSS

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nup ... can't find those pix :-((

What I would <really> like is some pix of the "frames"
i.e. of some bike with the "panniers" NOT in place

Anyone >:-()

KSS

·
Registered
852 Posts
Hi,

I somehow stumbled upon a set of Joe Rocket saddlebags, who on Earth knew they made saddlebags?! And guess what, they don't just fit perfectly, their slant angle perfectly matches the exhaust (I still have the stock ones). They look cool, and are very stable on freeway PLUS they look like they were made for the Monster. It comes with all the straps, two carrying straps and rain covers. I wear JR's black and white color Ballistic jacket and everything just match. :)

Mounting is easy with two wide Velcro straps going under the seat, and three extra straps (you can do with two), one at the back and two at the front to hold them in at higher speed. They are fairly large, though, and the passenger footpegs will not be accessible; I have not seen ANY saddlebags (I have tried quite a few at the shop) would allow carrying a passenger on a Monster, I have the 620 Dark.

I highly recommend these bags, and at only $149 it's really quite hard to beat.

Here is the link to the Joe Rocket bags:
http://www.joerocket.com/catalog/item.cfm?products_id=175

Enjoy!

Namaste,
Leo

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I saw a M900 at the Daytona Ducati Party this past bike week that had Chase Harper Stealth 3100 bags with some custom mounting work. I think there may be a picture of it at ducati.net in a link on the home page(not the members-only page). Absolutely beautiful and looked like a factory installed set. The 3100 Stealth model is available with color accent stripe or all black for about $149. When I decide to add bags, that's the one for me!

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
TourMaster makes a great looking sporty type tail pack and matching saddlbags, can be bought seperatly. You can see them at http://www.kneedraggers.com under "tankbags and soft luggage". they are Tourmasters Cortech Sport line. I've been thinking about getting them. $50 for the tailpack,

D

·
0 Posts
I just invested in a Joe rocket tank bag for $79.99. I don't know if it is a bargain or not, but I love it. It is at the perfect level to lean over on for support (very comfortable.) It even looks pretty good on the bike.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Yeah, I didn't realize they had saddlebags. Question: are the JoeRocket bags large enough inside to hold a laptop?
It depends on what laptop you use. Those big axx Dell won't fit, my Compaq fits in at an angle but I normally use the tankbag to carry the laptop. If you have those Sony Picturebook or Sharp ones they will fit just fine. This is the dimension as quote on Joe Rocket's website:

19"l x 6"w x 10"h

It also expands to 12" wide. I hope that helps! I should post some pictures soon.

Leo

1 - 20 of 33 Posts