Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Buell announced they are ceasing operations today.

http://www.buell.com/en_us/

buell seems honestly choked up over it.

Really too bad. Not a fan of the Harley motor, but- under engine exhaust, fuel in frame, oil in swingarm, rim brake, all great innovations in my book. And the look. I always thought Buells were fantastic looking streetfighters.

It's just too bad they never got a nice engine to stick in an otherwise great machine.

And in the end, not surprising they are "closing their doors", when dealers have trouble selling a bike with a MSRP of $11k sale priced to $7-8k, and one year old bikes sell for $5k, the writing is on the wall.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I posted this earlier but the thread disappeared... ??

I agree with most of what you wrote....
I owned an 1125CR the motor was great.
My buddy owns an 2006 XB9 and despite the fact the motor is an very old design it worked well in the bike without a problem to date.

It's too bad, Buell was really just starting to get it's shine on.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Wow! Someone was just asking me about them the other day.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Love or hate them.....It is a sad day when any motorcycle company gets shut down. It shows the times we are in. Hopefully this will not become a trend. Even our beloved Ducati was very close to ending its run not so long ago.

Personally I really appreciated Buell. Lots of innovation and I found it refreshing to see Harley get a sporting presence.

Perhaps we will see them again? Indian was resurrected yet again, so anything is possible.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+1 H20

Wow .... New 1125's selling for $5200.00
I know. I am seriously considering buying a 1125CR. But then who will service it? I'm sure servicing a Thunder engined bike is no prob. but I doubt many will want to touch the Rotax unit. Maybe someone that knows Aprilias.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sad of course, but Buell's curse was that it could never escape the image
of a kit bike, and relying on Sportster engines for two decades didn't
help its credibility with sportbike customers. Now, even with modern
Rotax engines, it's too little too late. In a more perfect world Polaris
will buy the whole shebang to fill out their Victory lineup. With a
styling refreshing (sorry Erik), who's to say it wouldn't have a future?
I also noticed no one mentioned Harley is also putting on the auction
block MV Agusta. Now that was purchase that never made a lick of
sense to me, and now it appears, it didn't to Harley either.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I'm stunned - I thought Harley had Buell's back covered forever.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I pasted on Buell when I bought my S4. I just could not get past the motor. I like the fuel in the frame, oil storage in the swingarm and the rim brakes. I just did not like the engine.

I agree that it's sad to see them close up but better them then MV Agusta.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I owned a Buell XB12S and currently own a Buell XB12X.

Both really great bikes. The buell XB12S was my first encounter with a bike with real power. (Harley's previous to this)

I loved that bike but upped to a Ulysses for the convenience, the bags and comfort are nice, and can't beat long travel suspension for dealing with bumps.

Personally I like the motor. It's like a Briggs and Stratton, Buell installs it, you buy it, change the oil and forget about it. It will run forever, proven design and is just strong, if something goes wrong, parts are readily available and easy to get.

Yes everyone thinks the motor was the issue with Buell but for what they were trying to do it was nice and fitted, they just needed to make the move with upgrading their line and getting a superbike model out faster.

It's a weird give and take with the bike... would I have like a smooth twin or V4? Yeah... do I like having a rumbling torque filled Air Cooled V2? Yeah...

What would I rather have over the other? The bulletproof just enough of the current 1203 or tons more power and upgraded engine? I don't know... maybe... would definitely fall over backwards accelerating in a Ulysses especially with my wife on the back... lol

Either way sorry for the rant... Sucks Buell is going down... Harley got too big for their britches and made some dumb moves... now they are continuing that trend with more dumb moves and scorning a generation or two of sport bike owners...

Am I more likely to go buy a V-Star now that Harley killed my current and all time favorite bike... You Betcha! Whatever though... They will always have a market. Hopefully they start making sane choices.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts