Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the Cromo is probably gone. Still waiting on the formalities of an estimate. Now I have to decide what to replace it with. So far I have two bikes in the running.

Aprilia Tuono or the S4R in black. This board might be slightly biased, but which do you think is better???

What kind of experiences are you S4R guys having with them? Anything to be aware of?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I looked at a Tuono this past weekend at the track. Talked to the owner for about an hour about it. He was very positive about it. I liked the way it was setup, and the pipe on it was out of hand. Seems it is very snappy as well :)

M

·
0 Posts
Most importantly, does anybody out there in Aprilia land have such a useful website and body of knowledge to back you up? I gotta say that it's great owning a Monster and having such a great amount of support outside of the dealer network. Everybody on this site seems like they genuinely want to help each other out. Fantastic!

·
Registered
455 Posts
I absolutely love my Monster and all, but given the chance to own a Tuono, I wouldn't hesitate. The Race model is super-sexy. The Tuono is in line to be my third bike (after I get my motard). Now excuse me... I must make my penance for such blasphemous words ;D

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i talked to a long time ducati enthusiast who also owns an aprilia. says the motor is strong, but the bike feels like honda.

???
That is not a good thing at all. Point for S4R.

Any S4R owners out there care to tell me their ownership stories? Any horror stories, any love stories? At this point I will accept any kind of feedback.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry DMN,

I am afraid I can offer no feed back as of yet as I am awaiting delivery. But man have I done my homework. With all motos there are going to be pros and cons. I was not biased and looked at the aprilia, but the front fairing looks like it just hangs out there all alone. Separate from the bike. I love aprilias. And to have mille power in a monster like setting would be awesome. My delimma? was with the strata vs. the S4R. I looked at both bikes quickly got past the stratas looks. But in the end I went with the S4R. I am not ready for the multi-tour bike yet. I still want HP/ sportability. I talked to BCM and they said with the 996 engine there are alot of thing you can do to get more HP. I think it is awesome to be able to own a monster with a sbk engine in it. Plus I like the way it looks. Minus that cow intestine thing. In black and blue I love it. I saw the sienna color and wasn't so hot on it. Here in Spain they don't really have test rides. But I took it around the block and I liked it. It has potential. The aprilia is a good bike as well. A proven perfomer. It really is going to come down to you and what you want. They are both great bikes but what do you want? The lines of the monster or the lines of the aprilia? I like them both but IMO the monster looks better. Does this even make sense? My doctor says sometimes I babble? GO DUCATI

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dealer 5 miles from the house has an S4R in blue and white. It is OK, but I really liked the black one I had seen before. Test rides on Aprilias seem to be hard to find in this area. I am sure I can get a test ride on the Monster.

I also looked at the Multistrada, not sure it is out of the running yet, the looks do not bother me, but I want to get something that is more "sporty".

Maybe an extended test ride on the Multi followed by a brief one on an S4R will solve that dilema, then I only have to worry about the choice between the S4R and the Tuono.

So many choices, so little wallet.

R

·
0 Posts
I have ridden both bikes you speak of. I went with the S4R. I found the lower riding position a refreshing change. Not to mention the strong after market parts available. THe S4R has gobs of character. Where I feel the Tuono will leave you flat over time. And yes, it feels like a Honda.

R

·
0 Posts
oh oh....tough decision.....I would have to have a Duc and a Tuono.....simply because the ride is so vastly different....the Duc is a harsh Italian mistress compared to the refined (Honda like)
Aprilia......but I do not think that is a bad thing as the handling is very well sorted on the Aprilia. But.....I had a dream, and more than once, that I am in Italy on twisty bumpy country roads lined with olive trees. I'm going really fast there is no other traffic and the only sound is the engine working through the gears, and as one passes by the small cluster of farm houses next to the road the people there stop and applaud and yell Cora! Because they understand it. It is in their blood like mine....the thing is I can't quite dream that on an Aprilia.....it's on a bike that is all red and the valves are ringing in my head.....when I get off I am tired and beat up, and I like it that way....;)
Sure I could get therapy, find a nicer girl, one I would not have to wrestle with as much, but what fun would that be....I like the struggle, it reminds I am here and alive.....and not everything should always go my way....

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
any thought to MV Agusta Brutal - should be comingin shortly and Feraci in Philly is not that far from Va.
Saw one last week in Leesburg, VA. Depends on the price. Tuono's can be had for around $10,500 right now if you look and are patient. S4R's not sure what kind of deal I can get on one of those, but probably around $11,000. WHy pay a ton more for something like the Brutale?

I want a bike to ride hard and not to just own.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
This is pretty obvious and unscientific, but it seems to me for that kind of scratch your decision is more of an emotional one than rational. You can list plusses and minuses for each, but ultimately you should go with the one that grabs you and doesn't let go. There are lots of threads here about folks going into the garage at night or in winter and just looking at their bike - I think this is the kind of experience you're looking for, no?

S

·
0 Posts
it's a no-brainer for me... i'd say S4R. not cuz i'm a mostrophile, but because honestly, the tuono looks like it was thrown together... i just flat out am not impressed with the look of it. the bike is technically excellent though, but when it comes down to it, i'd buy a mille before a tuono, and i'd buy an S4R before buying a mille ;D

M

·
0 Posts
Yeah, many days after my commute home I'll pull the Monster into the garage, crack a cold one, and just sit there looking at it. There are intangibles to owning a Monster. Beyond that, it's a fairly well known machine with both potential and backup. The S4R is a stunner and no doubt goes like h***. The Ducati is never going to be confused with a h*nda. Point of pride there.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts