Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't get to ride that often, but I love it. Looking to upgrade to a 750 or 800 Monster from an '86 Yamaha Radian. Wondering if the fuel injected Monsters (2002 0r 2003) handle "sitting" better than say a 2001 750 carberd Monster. Are carbs getting mucked up over time the major problem? I hated paying to have the carbs cleaned on my Radian. Is Fuel Injection more tolerant of sitting? Is a Ducati Monster even a good choice for a bike that will not be used for some long stretches? Any tips, advice, opinions are greatly appreciated.

I have been riding for about six years, just not putting a lot of miles on my current bike. I love the Monsters and hope to find the time and inspiration to ride a lot more if (hopefully, when) I get a Monster.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Re: Sacrilege: a Monster that doesn't get ridden o

Advice I heard from everyone when deciding to get my monster was to go fuel injected, and that the carbed bikes tend to need more TLC. Just what I heard, that's all.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Oh don't worry; once you get your Monster you WILL be riding more - allot more. ;D

jb

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Jim, don't you know what happens when you ASSUME?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

When you get your monster, you will probably find yourself riding more.

As for sitting .. how long are we talking about?

·
Registered
447 Posts

You may want to put a trickle charger on your battery if you let it sit for extended periods.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

another thing for a stored bike (i'd guess you've been doing this with the radian?) is to top up the gas tank at the end of every ride to minimize condensation -> rust in the tank. and when you fill up, pour in a bit of stabil with the as AT THE STATION so that it circulates through the tank -> lines -> injectors by the time you get home and pack 'er away.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts

What Strati said.

Rolling into the garage and pouring a bit of Stabil into the tank won't do d!ck for you. The primary gumming problem is in the jets (for a carby) or injectors (for FI), so you have to get the Stabil to that point in the fuel system for it to really help you. That can take a while.

Last winter when I pulled my tank for repair, I siphoned it empty and removed the lines. Then instead of draining the float bowls, I thought I'd just run it..... I was surprised how long it took to burn through a bowl full of fuel.

·
Registered
211 Posts

I run some of this stuff called sea foam through my Monster every now and then. It's good as a stabilizer becuause it absorbs more water than other stabilizers and dosen't crystalize like some others. That can be bad for the FI.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts