Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned two 07 S4rs Monsters the current one being white with a red stripe. Ducati has finally addressed the size of the Monster tank and the material it is constructed of in the new Monster 1200s. When the new ones appear at the dealers I'm going to give one a very close inspection. It's subjective but which one would you prefer. 2007 Monster S4rs or a 2014 Monster1200s?

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Of those, I'd definitely take the new one. Metal tank, and considerably better handling.

PhilB

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
For me it's purely aesthetics at that point. The older generation was what brought me to Monsters.

The tank would be nice, however you can buy an alloy tank for the S4R/S far cheaper than what you'd lose by selling your bike and buying the new version. I think Cyclewprks was building a tank that fit these bikes and had an extra gallon or more of fuel capacity.

I will do a demo day on the new 1200 for sure. I just don't know if I care to swap an $11,000 S4RS Tricolore that was easy to pay for and insure, for a huge note on what could easily be a $20,000 machine once you've paid for all the TTL, delivery fees, and Termignoni swap. The $17,000 quote for a set up M1100evo was why I stepped back and bought my Tricolore. I enjoy having $5,000 worth of "free" gas and maintenance money.

·
Registered
880 Posts
For me it's purely aesthetics at that point. The older generation was what brought me to Monsters.

The tank would be nice, however you can buy an alloy tank for the S4R/S far cheaper than what you'd lose by selling your bike and buying the new version. I think Cyclewprks was building a tank that fit these bikes and had an extra gallon or more of fuel capacity.

I will do a demo day on the new 1200 for sure. I just don't know if I care to swap an $11,000 S4RS Tricolore that was easy to pay for and insure, for a huge note on what could easily be a $20,000 machine once you've paid for all the TTL, delivery fees, and Termignoni swap. The $17,000 quote for a set up M1100evo was why I stepped back and bought my Tricolore. I enjoy having $5,000 worth of "free" gas and maintenance money.
Wow... I paid basically msrp plus tax/title/lic. or around $13.5k OTD. Added Termis later for $1500 cash. I never finance upgrades/accessories.

Decent S4R/S can be tricky to find.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Wow... I paid basically msrp plus tax/title/lic. or around $13.5k OTD. Added Termis later for $1500 cash. I never finance upgrades/accessories.

Decent S4R/S can be tricky to find.

Not only that but it'd also more expensive to maintain - service intervals every 10000Km's (as opposed to 12K for newer models, never-mind the New Ducs which is every 20K) and the cost of the peripherals/spare parts... Just the cost of the belts alone...dayumm :D:D

True story : i was in the market for a used S4RS some time ago and...they could be found for just 5000-6000 euros (in mint condition) from Italy, yeah, it was crazy (blame the Crisis in most of Euroland)...And then it got to me : **** would have cost me more to maintain than a - say - Diavel (just to make an example)...
Yes, it may be one of Ducs most beautiful motos but, in the end...

Also lads, let's be honest here for a min. : newer Ducs are more reliable than ever with longer service intervals etc etc, meaning, spending 15/17K on the 1200 sounds like much, but, in the end, the whole ownership thing will prove cheaper in the long run compared to the more finicky and temperamental models of yore...

Not shitting on the S4RS in any way as it's my fav. monster ;)

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts

The tank would be nice, however you can buy an alloy tank for the S4R/S far cheaper than what you'd lose by selling your bike and buying the new version. ...
Aesthetics says don't get either one; buy an S2R1000.

Meanwhile, yes, if you already own an S4RS, set up how you like it, and known to be a good machine, selling and upgrading may not be worth the money. Heck, I'm still on my '93 M900 because I haven't found anything I think is worth the money to upgrade to yet. (I've ridden lots of bikes that are better bikes, but not by that large a margin, to me.) But, posed as a question where a person doesn't have either and is choosing which to buy, I'd go with the 1200s.

PhilB

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'd also go with the new. Tank expansion is such a headache that I'd pay extra just to avoid it. Also as said above, extending maintenance intervals and improved reliability is a no-brainer in the long run, unless you're able and capable to do the work yourself.

·
Banned
646 Posts
Just an idea like that...have you considered giving your bike to Classified Moto and have them turn it into awesomeness on 2 wheels? Could cost you as little as 6000$...which is way cheaper then buying a new Monster that with taxes and options will probably cost you between 15000-20000$ depending on where you live...

·
Registered
880 Posts
Not only that but it'd also more expensive to maintain - service intervals every 10000Km's (as opposed to 12K for newer models, never-mind the New Ducs which is every 20K) and the cost of the peripherals/spare parts... Just the cost of the belts alone...dayumm :D:D

True story : i was in the market for a used S4RS some time ago and...they could be found for just 5000-6000 euros (in mint condition) from Italy, yeah, it was crazy (blame the Crisis in most of Euroland)...And then it got to me : **** would have cost me more to maintain than a - say - Diavel (just to make an example)...
Yes, it may be one of Ducs most beautiful motos but, in the end...

Also lads, let's be honest here for a min. : newer Ducs are more reliable than ever with longer service intervals etc etc, meaning, spending 15/17K on the 1200 sounds like much, but, in the end, the whole ownership thing will prove cheaper in the long run compared to the more finicky and temperamental models of yore...

Not shitting on the S4RS in any way as it's my fav. monster ;)
My 2012 hasn't exactly been reliable. It has never left me stranded but it has had a whole slew of issues and a recall.

I'd say that having the warranty has been fantastic for me though personally as it would have cost me thousands of dollars to fix the issues I've had out of warranty.

That definitely favors the new 1200S.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why would you say the new bike would have much better handling? Ohlins front and rear on both bikes and according to specs the S4rs is lighter. I don't think I have seen a road test as of yet on the 1200s but I would bet there's not a whole lot of difference between them.

·
Registered
718 Posts
My 2012 hasn't exactly been reliable. It has never left me stranded but it has had a whole slew of issues and a recall.
SD, Would you mind listing the issues?

So far mine has been great with the exception of a warranty fix to the rear brake due to the adjustment nut backing out and dragging a bit of brake, leading to a lock up. Half my fault as I missed that it was backing out.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I didn't like the first pics I saw of the 1200, but the latest I saw don't look too bad.
I still much prefer the old monster to the new one.
I would love a digital display, the tank is a pain but so far has never been a issue.

For the cost, I could not give up my dialed in and much farkeled S4Rs for the new one, but when it comes time to replace it I will certainly look at a used 1200 vs the hideous Streetfighter.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Why would you say the new bike would have much better handling? Ohlins front and rear on both bikes and according to specs the S4rs is lighter. I don't think I have seen a road test as of yet on the 1200s but I would bet there's not a whole lot of difference between them.
Improved balance and geometry. The first generation Monsters (888-based frame, like mine) were significantly too light in the front. The next revision (ST-based frame) were better, but still too light in the front. The new ones (696, 796, 1100), while not as pretty as the older ones, have notably better balance and handling. The S4 series really pushed the capabilities of the old chassis. That's exactly *why* the line was split to add the StreetFighter for the 4V powered bikes -- to put that power in a chassis designed to harness it. Admittedly this is an assumption, but I expect that the 1200s will be provided with a proper handling chassis for the big engine.

PhilB

·
Registered
880 Posts
SD, Would you mind listing the issues?

So far mine has been great with the exception of a warranty fix to the rear brake due to the adjustment nut backing out and dragging a bit of brake, leading to a lock up. Half my fault as I missed that it was backing out.
Rear wheel recall (replaced at no charge to me as part of factory recall)
Cold start stalling issue (it took almost 3 weeks for dealership to diagnose this problem, after trying various solutions Ducati finally had the dealer check all factory settings to make sure they were set to stock settings, they found the exhaust valves were too tight after only 4,000 miles)
Dreaded flashing TC lights and loss of power (determined the stator was going bad-replaced under warranty)
Scraping noise when engaging the starter (replaced under warranty)
Shifter return spring broke (my bike is now out of warranty so I fixed this myself)
Fuel tank expanding (Ducati is sending replacement tank and will replace it under warranty)

I have just under 14,000 miles on my bike and I bought it new in June of 2011.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Improved balance and geometry. The first generation Monsters (888-based frame, like mine) were significantly too light in the front. The next revision (ST-based frame) were better, but still too light in the front. The new ones (696, 796, 1100), while not as pretty as the older ones, have notably better balance and handling. The S4 series really pushed the capabilities of the old chassis. That's exactly *why* the line was split to add the StreetFighter for the 4V powered bikes -- to put that power in a chassis designed to harness it. Admittedly this is an assumption, but I expect that the 1200s will be provided with a proper handling chassis for the big engine.

PhilB
So you are saying it won't wheelie as well? ;)

Never had a complaint about the handling on the S4Rs, especially after getting heavier fork springs. If handling were the primary concern, Ducati offers the super bike line-up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a Multistrada 1200 & love the motor. BUT not more than the S4RS.

The HP of the S4RS in probably understated. It kills a Diavel 10 out of 10 times from a rolling start.

The engine is buttery smooth and the sound of the S4RS with pipes will always sound a 100 times better than the 1200. (I'm big on how the engine sounds)

After 9K, the s4rs seems to get a 2nd wind. Pulls like a freight train. The handling is great with proper tuning.

As far as looks goes, there is no competition. If you like the cafe racer look, the S4rs looks more the part. The new Ducs look more modern but are losing the classic styling of the past.

The new monster of course has many advantages too. (safety pack, metal tank, maybe better geometry, probably better handling, warranty, service interval)

I think people who have ridden an s4rs and understand what it is capable of will not stray from it. It's almost like you have to ride it to understand it. I would never trade my s4rs for any future monster. Unless of course they put the 1199 motor in it. :eek::eek:

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I have a Multistrada 1200 & love the motor. BUT not more than the S4RS.

The HP of the S4RS in probably understated. It kills a Diavel 10 out of 10 times from a rolling start.

The engine is buttery smooth and the sound of the S4RS with pipes will always sound a 100 times better than the 1200. (I'm big on how the engine sounds)

After 9K, the s4rs seems to get a 2nd wind. Pulls like a freight train. The handling is great with proper tuning.

As far as looks goes, there is no competition. If you like the cafe racer look, the S4rs looks more the part. The new Ducs look more modern but are losing the classic styling of the past.

The new monster of course has many advantages too. (safety pack, metal tank, maybe better geometry, probably better handling, warranty, service interval)

I think people who have ridden an s4rs and understand what it is capable of will not stray from it. It's almost like you have to ride it to understand it. I would never trade my s4rs for any future monster. Unless of course they put the 1199 motor in it. :eek::eek:
+1 re S4Rs. It's not a "modern" bike (see new monster advantages above) and it also doesn't have the feel (and sound) of a two-valve Monster, but if you had the room and $$ to have a dozen Ducatis, one would definitely be an S4Rs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts