Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone tell me why the 999 motor claims 140+ hp while the S4RS uses the same motor and only claims 130+

the only difference I can see is that the throttle bodies are 54mm on the 999 vs. the 50mm on the S4RS does that really make 10hp

I have been told that Ducati took the motor out of the 999 and dropped it right into the Monster. Most companies who do stuff like that will have detuned heads to provide more low end torque resulting in a less powerful motor but from what I have read Ducati has not done that.

last question, is it possible to achieve the same high output on the S4RS as seen on the 999 ie; 150+ hp with mods and such or is that number unrealistic. I know that WSBK is getting mid 190s for rwhp. out of their 999s

someone here knows the answers to all this,... you know who you are, spill it >:D

thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
From what I´ve read and what I gather.. the engine is the same, and it includes 999s camshafts. The gearbox ratios are different. The 999 has an integral airbox with built in injectors and 54mm throttle bodies, whilst the S4Rs has separate injectors and 50mm throttle bodies. The exhaust diameter on the Rs is 45mm (stock) whilst the 999 has a 50mm (I think - pls correct me if i´m wrong) unit with options of 54mm Termi and 57mm Termi kits.

Believe me sconly, I´ve just had my Rs on the track (Ricardo Tormo in Cheste, Valencia - Spain where the last MotoGP race took place) and the 999, 999s and 999R crowd didn´t have anything on me on the straight. I was 6th fastest on the day and 90% of the bikes were superbikes. The front end was coming up in 5th down the main straight.. you don´t need more on a street bike. I hit 260km/h at the end of the front straight and just touching the front brake brought the speed down before i knew it.

This is the most amazing machine out there in my opinion. Period.

My trackday rant:
http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=67195.0

·
Registered
166 Posts
Reasons cited are:

-smaller throttle bodies
-older, non-shower style injectors
-smaller airbox volume
-smaller diameter exhaust

Superbike spec 999 is at the knife's edge of what is possible for a 1000cc twin. And even then, there are WSB rules concessions for the twin- ability to run non-stock airbox/throttlebodies and a few internal engine components. On top of this, the 999R has a different spec engine- it is truly 999cc and has a significantly different bore/stroke.

If I recall correctly, the "customer" 999RS servicing specification calls for major replacement every 1000kms up to and including crankcases.

I think the cost and performance ceiling on the 1000cc twin is a major reason why Ducati seeks displacement increase in WSB.

I'm sure giving some money, a 998 Testastretta can pump out more ponies but perhaps the question then becomes: Would it be worth it and will it continue to be a reliable motor for street use?

Edit: Also, as Exhibit A to what an airbox and freer flowing exhaust can do. I point to the DP Termignoni 50mm full system. 10+ hp from a bolt on modification.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
also, there is valve & piston variations that make H.P. increase/decrease . ??? :-\

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
+ one on what NuTTS said. ;D These things just haul Ass. [clap]

But just like on my old s4r, I wish I had the new motor.

LA

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Capt baz said:
also, there is valve & piston variations that make H.P. increase/decrease . ??? :-\
Not betwen the S4Rs and 999s there isn't. They have the same cams, valves, pistons, bore, stroke, and compression. The 999 has Ti rods and lighter crank. Other than that, it is all intake and exhaust.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
The only reason they didn't use the exact setup for the intake that the 999 uses, is probably because by the time they were done cutting into the bottom of the gas tank to get it all to fit, the damn thing couldn't hold a gallon of gas.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Duke Dave said:
The only reason they didn't use the exact setup for the intake that the 999 uses, is probably because by the time they were done cutting into the bottom of the gas tank to get it all to fit, the damn thing couldn't hold a gallon of gas.
Yes. That and they don't want the Monster to beat the SBK. The same way Chevy detunes the engine from the Vette when they put it in the Camaro. Same engine, lighter vehicle, less expensive, you can't have it outshine the top of the line.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
silentbob said:
Yes. That and they don't want the Monster to beat the SBK. The same way Chevy detunes the engine from the Vette when they put it in the Camaro. Same engine, lighter vehicle, less expensive, you can't have it outshine the top of the line.
good point both of you

·
Registered
163 Posts
I sold my 999s because of comfort issues on rides lasting more then a couple of hours......and I bought an S4rs. The 999s is faster, I can tell you this by experience. And my understanding is that the HP difference is from the larger throttle bodies and exhaust. But I still like my Monster better the the superbike. I think it is easier to zip though mountain twisties and way better in the city. That might just be my ridding style talking but for me the small HP gain isn't worth the more comfort and fun on the monster.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
HP of a Termi kitted s4rs is about the same as that of an as a stock 999S. Look at Brad Black dyno curves. The kitted bike shows an increase of at least 10HP everywhere (> 6k rpm) and up to 14HP.

Most of the dyno numbers I've seen indicate that stock rear wheel HP is about 92% of Ducati's claimed crank HP. The addition of a good aftermarket large dia. exhaust, proper fueling, and open airbox seem to yeild the claimed crankshaft power at the rear wheel. Then add a 14t front sprocket and the S4RS should at least hang with a stock 999s, if not outrun it.

LA

1 - 12 of 12 Posts