Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent a little time talking to my Duc dealer yesterday. Specifically about termi systmes for the S4RS. The price difference in Australia is significanty between slipons and a full system, so I am wondering about people's thoughts and experiences. Is a full system worth it? The cost in oz is $2400 for slipons vs $4300 for a full system ! Is it worth it?

What is the main difference? Sound? Performance?

Would appreciate people's experiences and thoughts

thanks

jas

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Just had the full system installed.... the sound is everything you expect,
even with the DB killers still in... the bike looks better due to less clutter.
It just feels right now in the way it rides and powers up...only a quick short ride
due to the cold and now snow here. spring can't come soon enough

ride safe...

Mike

·
Registered
498 Posts
Jas, the Full Termi system Literally TRANSFORMS the bike!

It smooths the motor everywhere in the power band. Increases the rev limit by 500 RPM, and the sound @ 9K minus the DB killers is to die for!

It eliminates the ugly CAT/udder and the "S" pipes. This in turn gets rid of the pigeon toed right foot position when riding on the balls of your feet. [thumbsup]

The full system is a HUGE bump in HP & torque. for the money, and the RS will FLY with it installed and tweaked properly! >:D

Another positive of the full system is that with the CO levels tweaked to 3.9 the bikes low RPM manners are significantly improved. I've lugged the motor to as low as 1.75 in 6th gear, and under roll on throttle even though you can feel each power pulse it will still pull cleanly. Even with the extreemely tall Stock Gearing. :eek:

It doesn't surge or buck the way my stock piped S4R 996 Desmoquattro would under 4k. Even though both motors are happiest from 4k on up and I would not recommend lugging it that low on a regular basis, that's still a nice benefit around town or in extremely low traction scenarios.

Even if you must wait awhile to purchase the full 50mm system VS the slip-ons, DO IT!!!

THE GAINS ARE DEFINATELY WORTH THE WAIT AND THE EXPENCE! >:D >:D >:D

With stock gearing in 6th gear the bike will bury the speedometer just shy of the rev limiter. (I know this from first hand experience.)

Holding wide open throttle in any of the first three gears (Stock gearing mind you) will start to power wheelie at 7.5 with no input from the rider. 4th can easily be coaxed up as well. [thumbsup]

(You will honestly work harder at keeping the front wheel down and modulating the tire's slip-angle than anything else while riding aggressively @ 7.5K or higher. Very entertaining! [laugh] >:D [thumbsup] )

Power and Torque are perfectly linear, and easily modulated. No power hits anywhere, just progressively building power right up to the rev limiter. [thumbsup]

You WILL love it, I PROMISE!!! ;)

Good luck not riding like an absolute maniac once the full system is installed, its a VERY corrupting influence! >:D >:D >:D

<edit> LOL! Kind of Ironic that this is my 998th post, and we're talking about performance gains on the 998 Testastretta. >:D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shadowchaser - first of all thank you for the detailed response.!! [thumbsup] [clap] [clap]

boavidaracing - thanks for the information. Sound is VERY important to me. LOL

You make a very compelling arguement and given that I want to hold on to this bike for a while (i have cylced through my last 2 bikes very quickly) - I thin the full system could be worth it.

Looks like it's time to save my pennies and move towards the full system :)

thanks again to all

jas

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nitrox said:
Hi Jas,
Why don't you import from the states?
Gota save you a few quid.

ciao
N
I am seriously thinking about it. Even thinking of getting my cousin in italy to prioce some for me. Will let you know how I go.

jas

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
there's a noticeable difference in performance. as stated, they do great wheelies with the full system.

altho all the ones we've fitted have had the mufflers at different angles. not sure if it's just us or what, but we can't get them straight.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Damn I wish I could write a review like Shadowchaser....Snow and cold stink...

Are there any differences in the ECU that ship with the systems into different
countries?

I think my full system was about $2200 USD.

Best of luck...

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Yea, my termi kit was just shy of $2200 installed. I think that's a very good deal for what you get. It makes the bike what the designer/builders intended in the first place, if they didn't have to satisfy EPA/DOT.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
It's all been said, but here's my $.02

Slipons will give some sound, but you still have the smaller exhaust plumbing for most of the system. Full system opens it all up.

The udder, which is sooooo ugly, weighs about 12 pounds according to my bathroom scale.

Everyone needs a pile of "extras" anyway. Start removing crap ;D

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Since no one has chimed in with regard to the slip-ons here is my take since I wrestled HARD with the same question. The slip ons sound great and include an Airbox/ ECU to remap for more HP AND the rev limiter is raised too. The stock sound sucked. Before the S4RS I had a 2001 cromo with a FBF system. I also have a KTM 950 V-twin with Akrapovics. So once you become spoiled to how you expect your bike to sound you can't enjoy the bike with out it. I just don't think I would want to own a Ducati that didn't sound as cool as the bike looks.

So here is my opinion:

1)I could put two systems on two bikes for the price difference and I am seriously thinking about a 1098 or Hypermotard. So I have saved enough by buying the slip-ons to justify (in my mind) the system on my NEXT bike which I plan to buy in about one year.

2)The bike sounds just as good with the slipons period. The utter is not worth $1200 to remove. But it is unattractive and adds weight. Did I say I love the sound. Blind folded I could not tell the difference.

3)Easy intall: the slip-ons take a half hour with simple tools. The dealer then needs to re tune the bike which we did as part of the 600 mile service.

4)The full system is the best no doubt. The price is ridiculous. You can buy the header portion for $500 from ZARD. I paid $11500 USD for my bike. Because the full system(at $2600) represented 23% of the value of the bike I said forgot about it. I bought the slip ons for $1100 USD.

5)I'm a cheap ass. Worked my way through college and student loans ect. Took ten years to get out of debt. So I have to justify the added expence and I COULD NOT JUSTIFY IT UNLESS-I was going to keep the bike for 5 years or more. Given a dirrerent set of circumstances I would have bought the full system too but having said that I am very pleased with the decision to buy just the slip-ons.

6)Either way you will be happy. Good luck with your decision. It was easier to decide to buy the S4RS than deciding what exhaust option to choose. Many helpfull folks here to offer advice-all the best.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I totally agree. [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

That's why I decided to green light the new Termi short pipe on mine- 'cause I'm a cheapass too but I still wanted the Termi power bump. I just hope it's as much of a bump as the slip ons or full system.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I have an Rs with full 50mm DP Termi system.. I think i was the first one on the board to get this on the Rs. It is awesome and as everyone has said previously it does really transform the bike but, as per my experience if you are only riding on street and want fast the bike is very fast as standard. Get it on a race track and you´ll see what I mean when stock.. then get the DP kit put on and see your times, chances are they will be exactly the same. So if it´s sound you´re after then I´d just get the slip on silencers or even the new shorty silencer and remove the dB killer.

If you do go for the DP Termi kit.. he he he, you´re in for a surprise. The bitch properly hauls ass with this kit fitted, and wakes the dead to boot with it´s very loud booming.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again everyone. I love the idea of the full system - but it is just so much money. The sound of the stock pipes I find really ordinary. Im usually a sucker for spending money but $4400 is a b1tch!

I dont need the extra power - but love the idea of having the bike all it can be.

No idea what I am going to do yet.....maybe APEXHNTR's approach is a good one. Header system from Zard to get rid of the bladder and termi slip ons and ecu....mmm decisions.

Why is it so hard??? and sooooooooo expensive LOL

thanks again [thumbsup]

·
Registered
498 Posts
c_rex said:
I totally agree. [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

That's why I decided to green light the new Termi short pipe on mine- 'cause I'm a cheapass too but I still wanted the Termi power bump. I just hope it's as much of a bump as the slip ons or full system.
It will be an increase, but even with the cat eliminator pipe, chip, and open air box. The smaller diameter headers and pipes cannot move the volume of gases that the Full 50mm system does.

That being said the Full system equipped bikes can be a real handful, and unless your just an absolute power junkie, or plan on taking it to the track, then the performance increase most likely won't matter to you.

I have no Idea if a properly tweaked slip-on system, or a Termi shorty kit will have the same results in relation to the smoother low RPM (Below 4K) character or not.

Maybe one of the others can offer their input to this aspect. Some Dyno graffs would be nice for a comparison of bang for the buck also.?.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
jasaretta said:
Thanks again everyone. I love the idea of the full system - but it is just so much money. The sound of the stock pipes I find really ordinary. Im usually a sucker for spending money but $4400 is a b1tch!

I dont need the extra power - but love the idea of having the bike all it can be.

No idea what I am going to do yet.....maybe APEXHNTR's approach is a good one. Header system from Zard to get rid of the bladder and termi slip ons and ecu....mmm decisions.

Why is it so hard??? and sooooooooo expensive LOL

thanks again [thumbsup]
It's 2200USD.. I've just saved you 2200! [laugh] No, but seriously if you do go for the cat replacement pipes etc. pls make sure you get the fuelling adjusted to suit as the bike will be running very lean as stock. Also, by removing the lambda sensor you will get an error on the OBD/Diagnostics.

·
Registered
832 Posts
jasaretta said:
Shadowchaser - first of all thank you for the detailed response.!! [thumbsup] [clap] [clap]
boavidaracing - thanks for the information. Sound is VERY important to me. LOL
You make a very compelling arguement and given that I want to hold on to this bike for a while (i have cylced through my last 2 bikes very quickly) - I thin the full system could be worth it.
Looks like it's time to save my pennies and move towards the full system :)
thanks again to all
jas
Gedday Jas....

These motors were designed to run 50mm systems (Termignoni) and open airboxes. Definetly go the full system... Mine (996 not 998) just transformed the bike from a low rpm stalling pig rooter to a far more tractable, more fuel efficient and far more powerful fun machine!!! Mine kit also came with SPS cams, so over 7k it just screams!!!! My kit was AUD$5500 fitted and worth every single cent....

DO NOT CONTEMPLATE SECOND BEST!!!!!!!!

The fit, finish, quality, sound and performance is brilliant....

Let's have a coffee and you can check mine out and take it for a blast!!!!!

Ita

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ita said:
Gedday Jas....

These motors were designed to run 50mm systems (Termignoni) and open airboxes. Definetly go the full system... Mine (996 not 998) just transformed the bike from a low rpm stalling pig rooter to a far more tractable, more fuel efficient and far more powerful fun machine!!! Mine kit also came with SPS cams, so over 7k it just screams!!!! My kit was AUD$5500 fitted and worth every single cent....

DO NOT CONTEMPLATE SECOND BEST!!!!!!!!

The fit, finish, quality, sound and performance is brilliant....

Let's have a coffee and you can check mine out and take it for a blast!!!!!

Ita
Thanks mate - let's try for this weekend?

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you ask for a breakdown of the parts costs I believe you will find the ECU is almost half of the cost of the system.

The change in low end fuelling was as pleasing as the change in note. No more stalling no surge or bucking usable power lower down (and everywhere else)

I made inquirys about other systems but the shop that had done a lot of dyno work suggested buying the dp ecu and a power commander to tune to the much cheaper exhaust....end result was much the same overall cost.

cheers
Mal

R

·
0 Posts
Did the slip on kit on my 2007 S4Rs.

Wanted great sound, and better performance without blowing my ears out. Thats what is great about slip on systems. The slip on system will reduce weight as well. The full system is very cool until you take the DB killers out (just way too loud). If you want a sweet setup check out the forula below.

#1 Runs great with the open air boxlid , DB killers removed, and (stock ECU). So an Arrow slipon kit Kit will work here as well.

#2 Runs better with the stock AIR box lid, DB Killers removed, and DP ECU. Very smooth. The bike will torque better with an open air lid, and rev better with the lid closed. [thumbsup]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts