Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this in. A recall letter from Ducati!

"we determined the need to check the wiring-to-throttle position sensor connector, as water seepage could originate vehicle malfunctioning or sudden stalling."

finally! i have been waiting for this for a while now.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Does the recall notice reference a VIN # range or is it worded for all S4Rs bikes? Also, where are you located?

Stuart

p.s. I haven't received a recall notice either but frankly I don't have the problem. Like Chris, my bike is great!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Maybe, the "water seepage" is just an "official" note....maybe Ducati is not telling really what they are going to be checking in reality......I suspect a lot TPS/Throttle bodies will be shipped from Bologna in the next few months [laugh]

My S4RS started stalling after I washed it....... :'(.

But I have not received any recall note ???

I guess I'll have to call dealer and also ask about the oil pump bolts torquing issue.

Best of luck to all of us S4RS owners :-\

Phil
07 S4RS
05 RC51

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
addysdaddy said:
Does the recall notice reference a VIN # range or is it worded for all S4Rs bikes? Also, where are you located?

Stuart

p.s. I haven't received a recall notice either
The recall has my bike serial number only. Its not worded for all S4Rs or other Ducati. I m located at Singapore.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Damn... if my s4rs hadn't been the most reliable bike I've owned to date I'd be real concerned right now (and hoping I haven't just jinxed myself).

Sorry for the unrelated threadjack, but others need to know there are awsome and reliable s4rses out there. (more so than the last rc51... my experience has been 180 degrees from Phil's)

Chris

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
No problems with mine so far either. ;D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello all.

With regards to the stalling problem, has the problem been resolved and if so, how long did it take to get the new throttle bodies onto your bike (from date of complaint to new parts being bolted on).
Did it permanantly fix the problem?
My new S4rs is doing the same thing so I have a real intrest in this information.
Thanks.

Stephan

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
My stalling problem seems very intermittant and generally occurs when the operating temperature is between 160 & 185 degrees. I've spoken with my mechanic and he feels that the bike needs to be richened up through that operating range. There has been no conversation about replacing the throttle bodies or the recall notice.

Stuart

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
stephan said:
Hello all.

With regards to the stalling problem, has the problem been resolved and if so, how long did it take to get the new throttle bodies onto your bike (from date of complaint to new parts being bolted on).
Did it permanantly fix the problem?
My new S4rs is doing the same thing so I have a real intrest in this information.
Thanks.

Stephan
It's not the throttle bodies. It's a wiring connector. I'll try to find the thread where we talked about it, but basically thr letter says to bring in the bike for a check of the connector. 5 minutes. If the connector is corroded it will be replaced or cleaned, greased, and then covered with a boot.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I am thinking about purchasing an S4RS do you guys think the ones being shipped this spring will already have this recall implimented or do you think it is something they will have to do when the problem arises.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Statler said:
It's not the throttle bodies. It's a wiring connector. I'll try to find the thread where we talked about it, but basically thr letter says to bring in the bike for a check of the connector. 5 minutes. If the connector is corroded it will be replaced or cleaned, greased, and then covered with a boot.
The recall fix is basically about 50 cents worth of shrink wrap. [clap]

They found it after they replaced a friend of mine's wiring harness and two sets of TPS/throttle bodies. Sometime's it's the simplest things. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
The connector on my TPS was so badly oxidised it was completely green. With the DDS connected my mechanic Pedro showed me that with the throttle closed it was reading 15% aperture on the butterflies. With the throttle on WOT it was reading a max of 77% and even then it was varying..if you touched the tps connector the percentage would drop to 65% and then bounce back.

The TPS, from what our importer in spain says, is integrated into the throttle body setup and you can't just swap the connector. My Rs now has new throttle bodies, and crikey does the bike fly now!

I think my bike started stuttering after washing from about April and it's finally sorted.. not that it bothered me that much.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just had the wiring recall done on my S4rs last week. I was told there is a small possibility that some water can get into the connector, which would cause some corrosion, sending the wrong signal to the injector sensor. If this happens then they would have to replace the throttle bodies. The new connector will stop this from happening.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Yea, I've ridden in the rain a bunch and washed the bike many times. At 6300 mi. it hasn't skipped a beat (knock wood). I did get the notice from DNA though. Figured to wait until the 7500 mi. check up.

LA

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
LA said:
Yea, I've ridden in the rain a bunch and washed the bike many times. At 6300 mi. it hasn't skipped a beat (knock wood). I did get the notice from DNA though. Figured to wait until the 7500 mi. check up.

LA
I'd take it in now. A lot can happen in 1200 miles. Yeah, the warranty would still be paying for it, but you could be without the bike for a few weeks waiting on parts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Got my bike back after the throttle bodies were replaced so I sealed the TPS and connector with ruberised double sided tape.
1 week later the same problem returned, this time the mechanics found water INSIDE the connector. The only way it could get in was to seep along INSIDE the wiring loom, through the connector and into the TPS....wtf???
Well......now I'm waiting for throttle body set #2.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sorry to hear about the "woes" some of you are experiencing :( Knock on Carbon, mine has run like a champ since I purchased her. [thumbsup] Guess she was built in the middle of the week. Mike

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Is there an NHTSA number attached to this "recall"? There should be a reference to it on the letters you folks get.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts