Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know that bolting up a top triple from Cyclecat causes some issues as the Ohlins legs are shorter and the stock top triple has some arch to it... end result: pulling the forks up just a tad to make them flush with the aftermarket item causes clearance issues with the fender and the oil cooler or radiator.

So... I talked to Speedymoto about their full triple clamp...upper, lower, and stem. They say no problems so far.

So... can anyone here, Waldorf included as I know you have them, post pics of the Speedymoto setup and discuss whether there have been clearance issues with your cooler(s)?

My forks have the added bit of oil as per the service bulliten, and I have my legs pretty stiff in terms of compression damping (use less of the range of fork motion than Shadowchaser although I can lift the rear wheel... note he's bigger than me too).

I want new triples... I don't want to relocate the oil cooler.... I'll have clipons below the top triple in a few weeks...

Show me your Speedymoto setup on the s4rs please.

Beers bought if you ever come to Baltimore (Shadowchaser feel free to fill them all in on Little Havana and the giant dog).

Chris

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
Statler said:
OK, I know that bolting up a top triple from Cyclecat causes some issues as the Ohlins legs are shorter and the stock top triple has some arch to it... end result: pulling the forks up just a tad to make them flush with the aftermarket item causes clearance issues with the fender and the oil cooler or radiator.
this is also an issue w/ the non-ohlins forks.

·
Registered
737 Posts
my bike is at the shop so i cannot take any pics right now. sorry.

in my case, i run the front lowered by 12mm so my forks stick out the top clamp anyway.

also, since you have one of the first S4Rs to come out it is most likely missing some Öhlins oil and they bottom out lower than they should. you can get some oil added at no charge from the dealership since it's a service bulletin. it did a huge difference on mine.

The Speedy Moto gear is just simply A-M-A-Z-I-N-G !!! and they servicee is Top Notch [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Statler- I suppose you could do as Waldorf does and drop your front end down on the stock TC to see what you think about the clearance. If you try this out let us know what you think. I've got mine choked up a bit too but not nearly 12mm as Waldorf has done. I'm not sure 12mm is enough to replicate the required drop as I remember coming up about 1/2" into the Speedymoto TC and noticing the change in the geometry starting to occur with still a bit of a way to go before I agreed with the mechanic that it was looking iffy down low.

I'm curious to know whether you guys plan on running a steering damper or not. If so- are you going to mount a transverse or Scott's type solution? When you remove the risers you've got nothing for the top mount to grab onto. You could drill your clean Speedymoto/CC TC and mount a spacer but that'd look kinda funny. Funny weird, not funny ha ha. [cheeky] Just curious to know what you had in mind.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Don't you think it's going to be difficult to keep the setup correct when monkeying with the front end like that? That is my biggest concern because I have had headshake issues on previous bikes where I've dropped the front end like this. Banging the oil cooler wouldn't be good either but it's less likely (imho) than a lot of wiggle under quick acceleration as when passing another vehicle.

The combination of those two potential issues is what really keeps me from committing to either a Speedymoto or CC TC, but I have to confess a weakness for them as they look soooo pretty in person. I may just end up with a Speedymoto TC but stick with the risers for the sake of a top mounted damper. Oh the decisions we have to make...

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I saw a black S4RS with a Speedymoto TC setup tonight at the local dealer's Fashion Night show. In fact I think I've seen this bike on the DML as it has a custom headlamp of some sort that looks H.I.D. but retains the black paint with silver stripe on the bucket. Anyhow- the top was setup with about 1.5-2.0mm showing above the top TC and the vertical clearance from tire to oil cooler looked to be about 2 inches eye-balled. Didn't look like there had been any contact as yet. Looked very nice though- Titanium with risers on the black S4RS.

There was also a totally custom S2R800 turbo (+40hp boost) that had the black Speedymoto setup- that one also looked like the cat's meow. Wish I had thought to take my camera. doh!

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
i heard that if you contact CC, they have a bracket that will convert a top triple dampener Setup to work with their top triple for all S*R's I don't know where it bolts up, but i don't believe there is a special hole on CC Triple clamps to mount anything, so it leads me to believe it would work with a speedymoto setup as well, or at least make the custom conversion easier. This is not something on the CC website though. I'm sure someone can chime in here.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Duke Dave said:
i heard that if you contact CC, they have a bracket that will convert a top triple dampener Setup to work with their top triple for all S*R's I don't know where it bolts up, but i don't believe there is a special hole on CC Triple clamps to mount anything, so it leads me to believe it would work with a speedymoto setup as well, or at least make the custom conversion easier. This is not something on the CC website though. I'm sure someone can chime in here.
That's not the problem.

If you contact CC they will confirm that thier top triple is no longer recommended for the s4rs versus the other s*r bikes as there are clearance issues if you pull the forks up flush with their triple. So without further modification the CC is out, even according to them (very polite by the way and I'll buy more stuff from them)

Speedymoto has said no problems thus far with the s4rs and their full triple setup... so I posted this thread just to get confirmation.

Where I throw the damper has never been in question. (hate to cover up such a nice triple anyway).

Nice to start seeing some more heavily modded s4rses though. I guess we all had to save a little $ or sweet-talk the better half.

C

1 - 11 of 11 Posts