Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is my first question for the forum. I recently bought a 2007 Ducati monster S4RS that had been stolen previously and bought at an auction once recovered. The previous owner had to get a new speedometer, ignition switch, keys, and ecu because the thieves broke the original ignition switch. The problem is the speedometer reads kilometers instead of miles. I have read through the forum and found that there is no way to change without getting a new speedometer. The original speedometer is beat up so I don’t want to even attempt to pair it. I have my eye on a 2006 ecu, speedometer, keys, and switches. My question is will this cause any issues running an 06 setup in a 07? Also any difference between Japanese, UK, and US ecus?

·
Registered
314 Posts
If everything is good with the keys, immobilizer, etc. Why don't you just get a new guage face. They sell aftermarket ones on eBay. Your odometer will still be in km, but I think I could live with that part. If nothing is original, it may be way off anyway.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The P.O. did put the old mph face on the bike and I didn’t think that it would exactly calibrate the difference in KM and MPH. I could be wrong maybe it does and yeah the only downside would be explaining it’s KM instead of miles when I get an inspection here in the state of Hawaii. I figured if I get a replacement set then I could sell the set on the bike to pretty much offset the cost. At this point it doesn’t matter about the mileage because the DMV labeled it an odometer discrepancy in the title.

·
Registered
314 Posts
True, but you're already dealing with a atypical title situation, and non original components. At this point does anyone even know the true mileage? I wouldn't even bring it up at inspection if it's already branded unknown or inaccurate. Add a third set of gauges, ECU, keys. It gets even more convoluted. Not to mention the hassle and expense involved doing the swap and getting it to run right afterwards. The sweep on the gauges is the same. (260kmh = 161mph +/-) They're usually off either way, but you can dial it in using GuzziDiag and the right software. Another beautiful thing with the older bikes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks @Dvy3178 i will check out Guzzidiag. I guess another benefit to reading KM is that it is easier to compare the service manual intervals.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
There is no such thing as KMH gauges or MPH gauges unless you are talking faceplates. There is however a difference between older gauges and the s4rs when it comes to the magnet pick ups. I think you may just need a speedoheeler or calibrator.
My R/R fried my gauges once on my 07' S4R Testa. I sent them off to get fixed and they sent me back gauges that were meant for a different bike. My speed read waaay high. I bought a Speedometer Calibrator from 12oclocklabs and installed it. After calibrating it my gauges are more accurate then they ever were stock.

SpeedoDRD Model: D1 is the one you need. It plugs in where the speedometer sensor plugs in on the bike, near the seat on the right side of the frame. I have the SpeedoDRD sitting under my seat. It's been over 7 years since I programmed it but you go for a cruise with your phone and GPS. You figure out what your gauges say compared to what your GPS says. Example Gauges 65MPH, GPS 45MPH Do some math... (they also have a calculator on the site to make it easier) 45/65 = .692 .692-1 = -.302 -.302 = -30.2% off Then you program it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Heath thanks for the advance and calibration information. The faceplate was swapped from km to miles, but the mileage reading is still in km. I am supposing there is no way to change from km to miles on the mileage reading though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have it the other way around:
Faceplates read km/h (were swapped), odometer in miles.
Only thing I could change was F to C for temperature
Yeah I was able to change the C to F myself. I don't much mind the KM reading as it makes it easier for service interval reference. Only a pain in the state I live in telling people they have to convert KM to miles when they do the reading.

·
Registered
11 Posts
There is no such thing as KMH gauges or MPH gauges unless you are talking faceplates. There is however a difference between older gauges and the s4rs when it comes to the magnet pick ups. I think you may just need a speedoheeler or calibrator.
My R/R fried my gauges once on my 07' S4R Testa. I sent them off to get fixed and they sent me back gauges that were meant for a different bike. My speed read waaay high. I bought a Speedometer Calibrator from 12oclocklabs and installed it. After calibrating it my gauges are more accurate then they ever were stock.

SpeedoDRD Model: D1 is the one you need. It plugs in where the speedometer sensor plugs in on the bike, near the seat on the right side of the frame. I have the SpeedoDRD sitting under my seat. It's been over 7 years since I programmed it but you go for a cruise with your phone and GPS. You figure out what your gauges say compared to what your GPS says. Example Gauges 65MPH, GPS 45MPH Do some math... (they also have a calculator on the site to make it easier) 45/65 = .692 .692-1 = -.302 -.302 = -30.2% off Then you program it.
Hi,

I have a S4RS I bought in the States when I lived there and shipped it back to Australia when I came home. So my bike has the MPH faceplate. Do you know if there's a way (or a company) that swap out or replace the MPH faceplate with a KPH one? I don't care so much about the odometer, but it would be great not to have to do the conversion whenever I'm riding.
Cheers
Michael

·
Registered
104 Posts
I know a shop, but it's in the Netherlands ;)
Not too difficult to do, a bit tricky to pry off the needles

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hi,

I have a S4RS I bought in the States when I lived there and shipped it back to Australia when I came home. So my bike has the MPH faceplate. Do you know if there's a way (or a company) that swap out or replace the MPH faceplate with a KPH one? I don't care so much about the odometer, but it would be great not to have to do the conversion whenever I'm riding.
Cheers
Michael
if you want to swap you mph face plate for my km faceplate let me know. I did take apart my old faceplate just to see how hard it was if I did swap and it isn’t complicated. A few screws hold it together and once separated mark your needles and the ever so gently pull them off. They are held on by a hose type material on a post. Just be careful with the ring under the top of the needle as it has two tangs that can be broken if removed. My needles came off without removing that ring. I will take some photos after I get off work today and post them here so you can see what I am talking about.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Bikeguy1000 check out the pics I took. There are 7 Phillips head screws that hold the whole thing together. Once you pull the face off you can access the needles. My advice is to mark where they sit before you remove them. You can take a pair of needle nose pliers and pull the plastic straw off the post. Be very gentle and take your time; you don’t want to break anything. I wiggled with the pliers gently but held the black top of the needle with two fingers to assist. Don’t force or pull or get angry once again be gentle. Same with putting it back together. The thing I struggle with putting it back together was that gasket.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts