Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you S4R riders ever experienced high temp gauge readings (247 degrees while underway)?

I have noticed that my still relatively new bike (less than 6K miles) has been showing coolant temps of over 212 while in the twisties, but when I measure the coolant union temps or head temps with my laser thermometer, I do not get high readings---more like 180 and 212 degrees in these locations, respectively. The radiator is putting out temps in the 175 degree range.

So, I called my dealer and they said thay have no way of verifying my temp gauge's accuracy, and that ll they could do was measure the engine temps like I have done.

The question is, is there really a high heat problem, or should I just disregard my temp gauges readings and keep going?

Is is common to have to replace the temp guage or sensors?

·
Registered
99 Posts
i've not sure if urs is wrong

what's ur ambient temps?

but i've seen 230 or so on mine.. but it's quite humid and the ambients was in the 90's

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I think you are fine. Mine passes 200F in the middle of summer when in traffic in temperature similar to what you mention. At 90F ambient (likely 100F air temperature) I expect your to be past 200F and to stay there. You can do a sanity check and ride it on a freeway for 10 min or so. Even at 90F ambient you should see your coolant stabilize around 180/190F.
To put things in perspective, as I rode in this morning (60F ambient) mine showed about 170F. You are about 30F higher on both ambient and coolant temp, sounds about right.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
even if it gets that high to know your temp gague is working properly at 220 your fans should switch on. if they dont they are throwing false readings.

·
Registered
99 Posts
update

i was cruising around last night.. mostly going slow.. no more than 40-50mph

mostly 30-40mph

ambients were mid to high 80's

water temps hovered between 188-200*F

·
Registered
1 Posts
s4rs temp

I was riding today. Ambient started out 45 and high was 58. rode a lot in 2nd gear 6,000 to 9,000 RPM.(Dragon). My temp gage never got above 175. When cruising in fourth or fifth gear at 4,000 RPM, temp dropped to 150. this is about 100 to 120 degress above ambient. Fan never came on. Two months ago when ambient was in in 90's temp would be 180 when cruising, but would really run up to 200 or 220 in slow traffic, or stop and go or 2nd gear on the Dragon. (Fan would come on above 190) This is about 100 to 120 above ambient also. So I figure the gage is okay and the differential to ambient is consistant. I think your gage is okay.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

To all who responded to my temperature question: Thanks! I appreciate the feedback.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I had the same problem with my '07 S4RS a few weeks ago. It was in the low to mid 90's, high humidity and I was in stop and go traffic. The temp indicator went quickly from 190 into "HI HEAT" when I was stopped in traffic! Both fans kicked on at around 220, but the indicated temperature would climb "fast" when it got around 190 degs. I pulled on the side of the road a few times to let it cool down, which it did quickly (does that make sense?) until I got it home. Once I got home, and the engine temp cooled down, I flushed the radiator twice and also replaced the coolant (it had been 2 years since new coolant). So there I was... sitting in my driveway the radiator flushed twice, drained and new coolant added (in the same temp and humidity later that afternoon). I start the engine and it "slowly" went into high temp. I did notice that riding it on the highway allowed the temperature to get back down into the 180's again. The engine didn't flutter, pulled and ran normal even when it went into Hi Temp.
So... is this a problem, or not?
Hot day, don't worry about it?
This model doesn't like stop and go traffic? Don't worry about it and just ride it?
Thoughts??

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Take the Thermostat out and run without it for test . That will answer few things such .If your water pump impeller might be acting up or it's a faulty Lazy Thermostat , Temp senor...! If it's registering good proper temp then it could be the STAT gate , If the same look into the Sensor , Pump or simply clogged spot in the Radiator ..

Did you flush the system with fresh coolant ...

You could also switch to distilled water and water witter as i use this for all my race bikes that i run without fans with great result.

Cheer

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Yes, distilled water to flush the coolant out, then added antifreeze. The bike is at the shop getting checked out. I'll let you know what the result is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts