Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please feel free to tack on to this thread with your solution/set up.
At this date (25 Oct.) there are no aftermarket triple clamps specifically made for the S4RS. (Refer to this post:
http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=63229.0)
While waiting for that bit to get sorted my stock handlebars are flipped and I quite like the results. The "mod" bits are these-
remove controls/grips
undo top clamps on the top triple clamp (TC)
remove and flip the bar over
position the bar as you see fit (mine is set such that the first bend of the bar is in the (~)130-135 degree from vertical position), use the clamps to hold the bar,
- loose fit the controls for measure, note and mark the location of the controls lock pin on the bars
- make sure to account for tank clearance on full swing to either side (2 factors here:)
- rotation of the handlebar affects clearance
- use the adjusting nuts on the bottom TC (see picture below)
- make sure you don't bind the hoses/cables for brake/clutch
lock down your position, drill your holes for control pin locks
reassemble, check your clearance, check brake/clutch operation, grin/ride

This was performed by the incomparable Herb at Eastside Motosports, Bellevue, WA expertly and quickly. I may yet cut an inch or so off of each end of the bar and powdercoat the whole top TC/bars to match my frame (black). Otherwise, the ride is great. Not quite clip on low, still very comfortable and wholly aggressive if not retro looking as it reminds me of clubman bars mounted on relics such as my Triumph T120R Bonney. Cheers.

--Added photo of mirror mount for inquiring minds

Attachments

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Would't have thought you'd be able to see much in your mirrors,wouldn't bar ends be a more elegant solution?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll admit straight off that I don't rely on my mirrors much, never have. I'll also admit that this idea was not mine but Chris' from Desmoworld. The mirrors mount up to the headlight ears and believe it or not you can actually see between your arms and your torso. I'd say the visibility is just about as occluded by my waist as it was by my elbows previously, but still quite functional. The barend mirrors are another option and I might be inclined to put them on (I actually have some) if I cut the bars down a bit. I'm not sure if the other Monsters have such wide bars but the S4RS bars seem really long to me. /shrug

·
Registered
140 Posts
c_rex said:
another option and I might be inclined to put them on (I actually have some) if I cut the bars down a bit. I'm not sure if the other Monsters have such wide bars but the S4RS bars seem really long to me. /shrug
Yes, i find the stock bars are a bit too wide as well and i've been thinking about cutting them down. I was also thinking of flipping them....good post...now i see what's involved. I'm used to riding with clip-ons. The stock Monster bars are definitely comfortable but i'm finding the positioning a bit awkward for cornering and highway riding. I'll wait until i store the bike for winter before doing this mod so i don't lose any precious riding time. [thumbsup]

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
c_rex said:
I'll admit straight off that I don't rely on my mirrors much, never have. I'll also admit that this idea was not mine but Chris' from Desmoworld. The mirrors mount up to the headlight ears and believe it or not you can actually see between your arms and your torso. I'd say the visibility is just about as occluded by my waist as it was by my elbows previously, but still quite functional. The barend mirrors are another option and I might be inclined to put them on (I actually have some) if I cut the bars down a bit. I'm not sure if the other Monsters have such wide bars but the S4RS bars seem really long to me. /shrug
I cut the Maguras on my S4R and went down one inch on each side. I wouldn't reccommend going past 3/4" though as the bars are tapered and my controls are getting into the fat part of the bar which made re-assembly a bit tough.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I like the idea. Unfortunately the showas have adjusters that stick up just a little too much. I would do something similar but I don't know if they will fit. Has anyone tried this on a showa fork equiped S*R?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
That was my initial question. My S2R's rebound adjuster screws stick up to far for me to turn the bars around. Look at yours closely and imagine the bars upsidedown. You can see where it appears that the bars would hit the adjustment screws. Unless you actually try it, and you'll def come extremely close, I really don't think we have this option :(

Tom

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am probably missing something, but why not just loosen the bar clamps and roll the bars down? You mean take them OUT of the clamps and flip it so the left handle becomes the right and right the left? What am I missing?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Unrazzo,

Yes, take them out and flip them. If you didn't, then your wrists would be twisted outward instead of inward. Comprende?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I have a set of dbr13 bars from CC coming and they'll be installed under the stock triple before Christmas. I'll post up some pics when done. Talked to Chris at CC and they won't have a top triple for the s4rs any time soon... too many other projects. I think I'll be able to clean up the stock one to look OK and hide the bar clamp holes for now.

Anyone with clipons on an s4rs yet with pictures?

Chris

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's too bad about the CC TC. I'm very much liking the flippy-upside-downy bars thing a lot but still want to swap out the top and bottom tc. Maybe Speedymoto will step up to the plate(?). Once Desmo Chris puts out that oil cooler relo kit either CC or Speedymoto setups will work as long as you don't mind dropping the front end about .25 inch which will make a steering stabilizer near mandatory. Just what I need- an excuse to HAVE to buy another performance product. ;D

Statler- I trust you'll post us some pics when you get those DB13's. Which length did you decide to go with? To cover up the stock holes you could try this- trace and cut a small sheet of metal from the hardware store, drill the four holes, paint or polish it, stick one of those "3D" Ducati Corse shields on it, clear coat the bejiminies out of it. Apply face up. :D Not my idea btw- dude at my local shop told me about his once upon a time monster kitted as such. Heck you could polish the stock TC while you're at it and have a real sharp top side!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts