Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post and I first would like to say thank you to everyone, this place has been an excellent source of information, ideas, discounts........

A couple days ago I hit a pothole (pretty hard fork bottomed out) while the bike was leaned left at high speed and it left a huge dent on the front left lip of my rim. Air was leaking from the dent and also from the top lip of the rim. I calculated the cost for repair and it added up to about $400 between tire removal/remount, repair, shipping and repainting (plus time required to get it done).

BTW they claim when done properly, repairing a wheel does not affect the structural integrity of the wheel, is that true?

OR should I just replace the front wheel with a BST carbon fiber wheel which will cost me about $1000 more and I will have a mismatching wheel until I replace the rear some time in the future with the matching BST wheel. This will get me half way to a nice wheel upgrade and a couple of people told me that the difference will not be as obvious because they are both black and the brake rotors will cover a good part of the front wheel.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Here is my bike spec:

S4Rs Red with White Stripe
Termignoni Race kit (full 50mm, ECU and open airbox)
Speedymoto (Titanium/Grey) Billet Top Triple
Motowheels (Natural) Billet clipons with 1.5" rise
Matris M4R Damper with custom billet mount for Top Triple
Rhinomoto Fork Slider
Rizoma (Black) Frame Sliders
Rizoma (Black) Billet Reservoirs clutch and brakes
Rizoma (Red) Billet Grips and Barends/Slider
Rizoma (Natural) Billet Astina Mirrors
MPL (Red) Billet Pressure Plate
MPL (Black) Billet Open Clutch Cover
Billet (Red) Oil Cap
Barnett (Gold) Anodized Clutch Springs and Retainers
DP Short Carbon Fiber Tail with fabricated plate mount
Cyclecat (Polish) Rearsets
Carbon Fiber shifter rod
Homemade Oil Cooler Screen

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Ive heard good things about these guys, Ive never used them but have had the wheels on my 851 repaired with no issue.

Ye Olde Wheel Shop, 6363 Washington Blvd., Elkridge, MD 21075, (800) 526-8260, (410) 796-8400

·
Premium Member
5,761 Posts
You'll like the BST wheels.
If the insurance will cover you, it is an easier way to upgrade your bike in a big way. Nothing that you have done to the bike up to this point will make as much difference (perfromance wise ) as the ultralight BST wheel.

Ask Brian about the BST promotion that we are running this month.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Need more opinion on this part of my question. I'm trying to decide today. Thanks again

Should I just replace the front wheel with a BST carbon fiber wheel which will cost me about $1000 more and I will have a mismatching wheel until I replace the rear some time in the future with the matching BST wheel. This will get me half way to a nice wheel upgrade and a couple of people told me that the difference will not be as obvious because they are both black and the brake rotors will cover a good part of the front wheel.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
If you can afford the BST wheels, get them, awesome wheels.

but if it were me, I wouldn't be able to afford that at all, I've got a local shop that can do perfect rim repairs at very reasonable rates, I'd just get the wheel fixed...

If I were going to have only one cf wheel, I would prefer the rear wheel to be CF rather than the front...

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
hiero said:
If I were going to have only one cf wheel, I would prefer the rear wheel to be CF rather than the front...
ditto

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was trying to avoid the cost of repair and use it towards a new wheel. I probably will not consider purchasing a set if I get the wheel repaired. BTW I plan to change my tires either way.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Nice!, small observation though. Since I havent looked at an S4RS closely. How many bolts hold you rotor on? It looks like 5 and if thats so, Ill bet thay are now using the 749/999 rotors there. Interesting.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ATO - I took the plundge! I had an opportunity to buy it below cost someone at the dealer ordered the wheel for his 999 and changed his mind and left his deposit (that takes care of the profit, his loss my gain I guess). I had to pay a grand more than having the wheel repaired and it came with the 2CT mounted as part of the deal. I posted the pic late last night after picking it up.

Excited and desperate, I was able to figured out a way to mount it without any stands and balance them after swapping the calipers when all the bike shops in the area were all closed. Long story......

My thoughts:

LOOKS - You can't even tell that the wheels are different, asked a couple of my friends that I ride with if they notice anything different with my bike and not one of them noticed. They are both black and the rotors were in the way. Then when you look up close and notice you are just left staring on how beautifully they made the wheel.

PERFORMANCE - I really didn't expect much since I am only replacing the front wheel and the stock 10 spoke Marchesini is one of the lightest forged aluminum available. I began to change my mind after lifting both wheels with the rotors off, the difference is night and day considering that I had new tires on the BST. Sorry for dragging I'm still a little jumpy after riding and a grande coffee, let me just continue. Took the duc for the test ride and didn't really want to dump it on a turn with the new front tire, so I decided to first test the straight line acceleration. It felt more responsive but it was very difficult to keep the wheel down (common problem with the S4Rs stock, it gets bad with the race kit, now its worst). I must say that it's excellent for stand up wheelies. This is probably just all in my head, still trying to tell myself that it should not make any substantial difference. Later on I tried with the turns and this part you can definitely notice the difference, the whole bike turns quicker, the bars felt lighter. I didn't feel any negative affect with the lighter front wheel, it felt balance no signs of a mismatch. All doubts were gone after a couple of hours of riding. I didn't do any hard braking and I don't know the affects with this part. Can't wait to ride again it was freakin freezin here in Jersey.

Questions:

1. I had to adjust my fork it felt softer, was this an effect of the lighter wheel or maybe it was caused by the impact when I dented the stock wheel and the fork bottomed out pretty hard. No leaks and one at a time I tested the rebound and compression on each leg and they all seem to work fine, nothing obvious.

2. Does it mean that if I change the rear with the BST, I will have twice the fun/performance. I think the front wheel makes a bigger improvement because it gives a direct feel on how much lighter they are when you turn the bars and you can also tell that the front end is lighter everytime it goes up much quicker than before.

This post is too long, let me end it for now. Thumbs up for front wheel upgrades and I can't wait to get the rear and see how much more it can improve. Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Better not hit anymore potholes with those BST's or you will be sweeping them up off of the road

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Chupa said:
Better not hit anymore potholes with those BST's or you will be sweeping them up off of the road
Oh no... not another Carbon Wheel thread. Let the man enjoy his new wheel. If it shatters (which it won't) I'm sure he'll tell us.

And why does your tag line under your name exactly match license2ill's, that nonrider who posts nothing but gear evaluations trashing Dianese? Creepy.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
And why does your tag line under your name exactly match license2ill's, that nonrider who posts nothing but gear evaluations trashing Dianese? Creepy.
Something to do with the default I believe.

Yeah those die in these are crap.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts