Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm contemplating taking apart my S4RS so that I can powder coat the frame and swing arm. I know that many forum members have do this but I am a little nervous. Does anyone have any helpful tips or a logical progression of what parts or assemblies to remove and in what order? I do have the shop manual but and I am sure I could figure it out but I was just looking for a little real world experience. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
It's absolutely possible. It's a pain in the ass but doable. I've done an M600 and an M750. They are a bit easier than the S4R line.

My best advice is to buy a lot of large storage bins and ziplock bags. Document everything you remove with pictures and a written note. You can also try a method I use from time to time. As soon as I remove something I will put the bolts, screws, whatever back in finger tight as best I can to show how it went together. Remove the handlebar switches I put the 2 halves back together and then put the screws back in. Once I've done that I place each one in a bag. In the bag is a hand written note of what the part is and what steps it took me to remove it, and any special note I might feel is important for when I put it back in.

Then the clincher. I number the bag or note starting with 100. Then I number each item removed one number lower. That way when I reassemble I do so starting with the lowest number I recorded and move up.

These are not the only ways, and really there are a ton more you'll need to figure out as you go. Just some basic ideas.

Refer to this link for part descriptions and locations. http://issuu.com/ducatiomaha/docs/ms4rs_eu_07_ed01?e=1222863/10926633

Reactions: Duc96cr

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm contemplating taking apart my S4RS so that I can powder coat the frame and swing arm. I know that many forum members have do this but I am a little nervous. Does anyone have any helpful tips or a logical progression of what parts or assemblies to remove and in what order? I do have the shop manual but and I am sure I could figure it out but I was just looking for a little real world experience. Thanks

I have a satin black one for ya. Make me an offer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ducati-Mon...Ducati&hash=item2cd762d2fe:g:KqgAAOSwCmFbQUKl

1 - 3 of 3 Posts