Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll have some pics soon...but for now, a prose synopsis. (For performance and sound, skip to the bottom.)

Note: Quat-D doesn't included the "rear" header pipe for S4rs, you have to use the stock one, this pissed me off because the price was the same as the non-S4RS version. BUT, this meant less work...well, so I thought.

1. The Ceramic coating: shipped with a few scratches (annoying but tolerable), but it did mean pulling out the dremel to knock off the coating where the pipes fit into each other. The ceramic was just thick enough to make it tough to fit the pipes.

2. Problem #1: Quat-D included no instructions (I'd like to remedy this, but I am not 100% sure I installed it 100% correct, so get advice from someone experienced before using this info). The only difficulty here was determining whether or not I should use the stock shock-mounts from the factory exhaust. Well, once I tried fitting to the "rear" header pipe to the Box, it became clear that I could not use them. The short "upper" port on the ExBox was too short, this meant attaching the box directly to the block (where the shock-mounts normally mount).

3.Fitment. There were 3 problems. 1. The Ceramic Coating (already addressed). 2. Fitting the rear AND front headers was tricky. (Although this is the 4th or 5th Duc exhaust I have done, the pipes have NEVER fit perfectly, there was always lots of pushing and forcing.) A little motor-oil helped. But the rear (upper on the ExBox) pipe was not long enough, so I was forced to push the system upwards so far, that the only place possible to mount the Box to the bike was the engine block where the shocks-mounts were mounted. I am pretty sure this is wrong, but I was left with no choice. 3. The welded tangs that attach the box to the bike were not wide enough for the engine block mount point - so a rubber mallet came in handy popping out the tangs a little so they would fit.

4. Extra Parts: There was a threaded rod that (I am guessing here) was supposed to be used for mount the box to the shock-mounts. Since that was not happening because of the rear header pipe fitment, that part was ominously left over, along with the accompanying washers and nuts. Hmmmmm.

5. Performance (finally what you really wanted to know): At first start there was no sputtering or backfiring so let it contine to warm-up. Warm-up went fine, so I hopped on. Wooo Hoooo! WOW, what a difference. I am not sure about actual HPs, but the throttle to acceleration response was RADICALLY better. I plan on a longer ride when it warms up here (39 today!! in San Francisco!! Crazy talk.) So the Exbox (with one baffle in-place) did not require chip/ mixture mods, it just worked - as far as I can tell! I can't wait for the track!

6. Sound Level: I was VERY surprised to discover that sound output was really, well, quite nice. From 1 to 10 (stock being 1 in loudness) I would say the Exbox, with one baffle in-place brought it to a comfortable 3. I still need to have someone else ride the bike past me to be sure, but you won't blow the neighbors away with this at all. (If you want that, get a Harley.) After I get the 600 mile service, I'll pull the other baffle and report. For me, the new sound is just right, I hear the beautiful exhaust note that gives all of us that chill of delight.

7. Look: It absolutely transforms the look of the bike, I am completely in-love with this bike now (and I don't really even like the color that much (red). Maybe enough to keep me from betraying my monster brethren by buying a 1098 next year.

Let me know if you have questions. (I'll get pics up this week.)

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Re: S4rs Exbox Install Results!

Can't wait for the pics. Thats what I want sound wise,nothing obnoxious I'm getiing old I guess ::)

·
Registered
45,105 Posts

But wait... I thought everything but Termis fit perfectly and were better quality and cheaper...you mean other exhausts require fidgeting to fit?

Joking aside, I can't wait to see pics and am glad the results are what you wanted. Those stock cans weigh a ton don't they?

Chris

·
Registered
277 Posts

I am interested in the baffles? Can you take them in and out with the exhaust still on? You said you have one installed, how many does it come with? Nice write up. Thanks

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks Chris, yeah, the stock cans do weigh a ton...I could feel a difference when transitioning in turns on just the few blocks that I rode.

fatlab, The baffle is more like a plug and is in one of the ports (there is only one), and it can be pulled while its on the bike, its connected with 3 allen bolts...its pretty slick.

Pics tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
514 Posts

Yea, get the pics up! I am considering the Quat D as well on my RS. Looks like this will be the first bike that the last mod I do will be the exhaust. just can not decide...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: S4rs Exbox Install Results! Pics!

You can see the stock mount point and then the ExBox point where I "chose" to mount it.

I should have shot these outside, but you get the...um...picture.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Looks good, you keeping the pass sets on for the ladies ;D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, my C.F.O only let me get that bike because she could ride on the back, we use it to get around SF too (to avoid the parking garages).

Those are rizoma's, not sure which model, but I know they are older.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I think it looks better on the s4rs than other bikes. Follows the line of the deep sump. Nice.

fatlab, the s4rs swingarm comes black. I think this one is stock. unrazzo?

·
Registered
454 Posts
that looks great. id love to see it with the underbelly cowling, too.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Jet-Hot is currently completing the coating on mine, and I cannot wait to get it on the Duc. Who did yours? I talked to SwainTech, who informed me that their coating was much more than I needed (imagine a company turning down business...) and recommended Jet-Hot specifically. They are only billing me $144 with internet discount.

As for the sound, a 3 over the 1 stock sound is music to my ears. I don't want to be a complete annoyance to the neighbors, but definitely want to announce the presence of the dark.

This exhaust just looks so sexy it is disgusting! Not that I am completely unimpressed by those who own S2 and S4's just leaving it off at the box...

I'm still recovering from a spill with a broken collarbone that ended this season early, but should have the bike back long before spring with new custom dark paintjob courtesy of Ducpainter. I'll post pics and sound as soon as I get mine!

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Yeah that looks killer. Very nice indeed.

·
Premium Member
5,761 Posts
unrazzo said:
I'll have some pics soon...but for now, a prose synopsis. (For performance and sound, skip to the bottom.)

2. Extra Parts: There was a threaded rod that (I am guessing here) was supposed to be used for mount the box to the shock-mounts. Since that was not happening because of the rear header pipe fitment, that part was ominously left over, along with the accompanying washers and nuts. Hmmmmm.
I thought the threaded rod went through the engine case--and the muffler mounted to the rod?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts