Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi does anyone know if you can richen up a stock ecu on a 07 s4rs i put a set of arrow race pipes on mine and now it pops a little.I also want to drop in a k&n filter
thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
the s4rs ecu won't let you adjust the idle trimmer via the dds. using the mathesis it may let you adjust it, but it has no effect when the o2 sensor is connected, which i don't believe would change with the sensor disconnected. don't know if i've tried that yet, might do so on monday on the demo s2r 1000.

all you can do is raise the fuel pressure, which wil make a % increase across the whole range. this is better than the idle trimmers pulse width increase anyway. not sure if you can remove and squash a late reg like the early ones tho.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply guys have not disconnected the o2 sensor. thelocal shop said today they could do it but did not say how
thanks again

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have heard that the DDS will not allow idle trim when in the S4Rs menu, but the 999?s? menu will talk to the 5AM and there is a selection for idle trim. I agree that fuel pressure is the way to go but so far there is very little info about anyone brave enough to 'adjust' theirs or anyone who makes a product. I emailed epicycle about a week ago and have not gotten any response yet. I would be VERY interested if you can get something working Brad. The Ducati parts breakdown does not list any of the parts separately - it looks like the flange, pump, regulator and filter all come as one replaceable unit :( I assume the filter is replaceable...

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
we have tried adjusting a st3 idle trimmer, as there is both closed and open loop versions of that bike. numbers changed, mixture didn't. but that wasn't with the sensor disconnected. afaik the software just ignores the trimmer setting. altho we've seen a few that aren't zero, unless that's a software misread of sorts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
if your local dealer checks with his service rep. he can get you a ducati part number for an 06 (non O2 equiped) ecu that will function properly and allow him to open the air bleeds up and adjust the trimmer. or soon the power commander will be available. however the stock ecu will still not allow trimmer adjustments..................j

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have my O2 sensor disconnected and the technoresearch tool allowed me to change the trim numbers. I don't have an exhaust gas analyser to check the results though. I thought that there was not a lot of difference from full lean to full rich. The ecu must ignore the trim value. There is a hidden reference to changing the idle trim in the manual but it must be a left over artifact. Manuals have been wrong before.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
i had a play with our demo s2r 1000 today. using themathesis and calling it a 1000m i adjusted the trimmer, but ithad no effect. if you went from full rich to full lean then it had no effect. the 5.9m trimmer is very fast acting, and that range would have it stall from too lean and too rich.

nothing you do with it with the sensor connected will change the mixture. altho you can change the cylinder to cylinder variation - you can have one lean and one rich, but the average of the two is always 1.5 - 2.0% CO, which is what it cycles around. you can't change the average.

with the sensor disconnected you can lean the mixture with the air bleeds, but on our demo s2r 1000 it's around 4.5% CO when it gets to 75 or so degrees, so no need to adjust it. i did balance the closed loop mixture when i did the first service so both cylinders were the same as the average, and those air bleed settings (h: full in, v: out 3/8) gave the same idle mixture setting with the sensor disconnected.

·
Registered
244 Posts
My bike runs pretty good with the O2 sensor disconnected but I am PATIENTLY waiting for FIM to offer an alternative ecu. I can't help but wonder how good this bike would run with a proper tune. Thanks Brad.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Hi,

I have s2r1000 and dp full kit. It idles too high now about 1400-1500. Can I adjust it down to 1200 by myself or do I have to take the bike to the dealer!? :)

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Jake82 said:
Hi,

I have s2r1000 and dp full kit. It idles too high now about 1400-1500. Can I adjust it down to 1200 by myself or do I have to take the bike to the dealer!? :)
Which year?

·
Banned
550 Posts
I have a 07 S4RT with the full Zard system. Runs okay but have been looking at the PC, RB and DP ECU to just tidy up the power curve. After a LOT of surfing I have gone with the DP ECU Part No: 96517906B. The PC & RB for the Testastretta engine still seem to be to hit and miss. Know a guy with full Spark system and DP ECU and it runs a treat. Getting installed next week.....

·
Registered
166 Posts
Don't play with fuel pump advance...anyway not many "tools" out there to do that
Other then that you cannot fix those problems, anyway doesn't help much spending +$1300 for DP kit...again, doesn't help much!
Brad I saw your name somewhere, somebody asking you and another guy for some tough questions, so I suppose you have some experience...anyway welcome in the underground world of tuning, I see you are testing/learning.
There is one "tool" for: pump correction, injectors advance, idle, load correction and so on...but only pro tuners with training can "play"

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
moto4us.com said:
Don't play with fuel pump advance...anyway not many "tools" out there to do that
Other then that you cannot fix those problems, anyway doesn't help much spending +$1300 for DP kit...again, doesn't help much!
Brad I saw your name somewhere, somebody asking you and another guy for some tough questions, so I suppose you have some experience...anyway welcome in the underground world of tuning, I see you are testing/learning.
There is one "tool" for: pump correction, injectors advance, idle, load correction and so on...but only pro tuners with training can "play"
let me guess, its the rapidbike?

here we go again. Why wont rapidbike go around the country to dealers than and show them how to use it. Most Dealers have a dynojet for powercommanders already. My dealer inquired about their products and Rapidbike sent him the O2 emulator, and even though its supposed to keep the ecu happy, he still couldn't trim or anything. If you reset the ecu with the 02 sensor disconnected, then you can trim. What the point of it? You think if he calls rapidbike to inquire they would send him the performance chip and not 02 emulator.

·
Registered
743 Posts
The O2 emulator is for use with the RB not the stock ECU. Some people on this board kill me. Whine whine whine about how your bike runs and then when a fix comes that is not in the US mainstream people start whining some more. The software that comes with the RB is super simple to figure out. What I really like is the trace screen. It lights up the area in realtime that the bike is in. So you can adjust fuel where needed. The canned map I have was rich on idle and up to about 3500 rpms. I could feel it. All I did was lower the fuel number in that rpm range in small amounts untill the bike ran better. It took 4-5 rides to get it set. I also was getting a little to much popping at 0% throttle in the 5000-4500 range. Bumped the fuel up a little and presto!

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
because what am I supposed to do, ship my bike to Tennessee? I live in Mass, and would love to know of a certified tuner up here. Not someone with a pre-programmed map either. I want to get a custom exhaust made, and will need to tune it. My dealer tried to inquire about it and what he got was an O2 emulator and ???. It think its a sweet product and and don't see why dealers would be hesitant. I mean if you race a 1098 with Arrows or Zards, its your only option right now right...

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
1 - 20 of 88 Posts