Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am a current Honda VFR owner considering a change to either a Ducati S4RS or an Aprilia Tuono. I am very much in love with the RS at the moment. Difficult to describe, but just looking at it makes my heart beat faster :)

I hope you can tell me how the Monster is comfort wise. Is the seat OK for a day in the saddle? A test of the S4R commented on the handlebars. They found them to be at a weird angle but could be solved by an aftermarket one. Is this a common finding that is easily solved?

I would be very greatful if someone could compare the handling of a VFR to the Monster. I find the VFR very agile and stable, giving me lots of confidence in the twisties. Due to an injury I had to raise the handlebars by an inch to get a more upright position. How effective is the small fairing on the Monster? Any aftermarket screens that is better for touring duties?

I am 175cm tall and weigh ca 68 kgs incl all riding gear.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I do not own a Monster as of yet but I can tell you from experiance. I get to work on and ride a large variety of differnt motorcycles and can honestly say that I am not fond of any bikes handle bars but my own bike. others have said the same thing about their bike. I guess what I am saying is that every bikes handle bars take some getting used to like anything else you will adjust. now for the saddle as you say it, I can not comment on it, I have sat on several monsters and ridden one but cant comment on the comfort of riding it for a day, I think its comfortable but I have short lived experiance with them.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I came from a VFR to a Tuono and the riding position on the Tuono is much better. I think the RS would also be better than the VFR. My Tuono also handles as well as my VFR did.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I had a brand new left over '03' VFR and it $ucked. Put 5k on it and bought the Monster. I love my monster. You really can compare the two. One is a pig and the other is a blast to ride.

Wayne-o

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I had a 95 VFR, went to an R1, now to the S4RS. Handling... no comparison. The VFR was a tank compared to the S4RS. I had even put Superhawk clip ons on my VFR which helped a lot (still have em- $40) but there's no getting past 475 lbs. As for the R1 to S4RS... all the sport, 10x the character, tons more useful torque/hp. The Tuono is a nice bike too but I think the package you get with the S4RS is possibly the best bang for the buck, as they say. Best of luck in your decision!

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
I don't think the bars are awkward at all. They are comfortable and I have riden 300 plus miles a day on mine. The stock seat is decent, but after geting the DP seat -- wow are they nice.
Stock is a bit firm and butt numbing like other stock seats. The DP seat is simply awesome. I dont know why I waited so long.

The fairing does provide decent protection to the chest and shoulders. It buffets my head a bit in high winds, and I am 6' tall, 165 lbs. I took it off, dug the looks but put it back on for the wind protection.

Handling is exceptional in my opinion. Actually the best I have owned in that regard. Better than my old Ninja and more comfortable and solid than my supersport.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Cant compare to the VFR, as i have never rode one, but as far as comfort goes for the S4RS its not bad at all. Like others mentioned, it may take some time to warm up to the bars. I feel they are a bit too wide and could stand to have an inch or two cut from each side. They do seem to have an odd [uncomfortable] angle to them and so on long rides (4 hrs +) I sometimes experience a sore wrist; but thats just me. I have no complaints on the seat, as i tend to move around when i ride anyway. The rest of the bike is simply AWSOME, i dont know of any other bike in the market that offers as much as the S4Rs.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
I have a S4R and I think it is the same bike as the S4RS except for motor, pipes and front forks, so as far as comfort goes, I'd say it is not appropriate as a long distance tourer. For a tourer, I'd be looking at a BMW K1200RS. I have never toured on a bike and, for me, 2 hours at one stretch is a long time. I have only done 90 mile trips with this S4R so far, and I found that I had to let go of the throttle a few times and shake out my hand during the ride to get feeling back. That may just be my anatomy because I had ligament damage to both wrists a long time ago. You are leaning on your wrists during the ride, but only gently compared to purebred sportbikes. The fairing works well IMHO. At 80 mph the wind is not a problem as far as buffeting goes. I read in one review that the fairing made noise and was useless, but I don't agree with that. The wind going thru my Shoei RF 1000 makes the noise that I hear most and the wind is not a factor. The seat is comfortable, too. So don't worry about that. I'd say it would handle the twisties well because it tracks well and seems flickable. I haven't ridden the VFR but I'd say the riding position of the S4R is similar based on pictures of the VFR, just about exactly like an Aprilia Tuono too, in fact. So if you had to raise your bars on your VFR, the S4RS may be a more radical sportbike riding position than you would like. I don't know if the riding position is good for you, but for me during short hops it is fine. I love the handling, and the acceleration and the sound. I couln't imagine touring down the highway all day on it, though, but that could be just me. Have you ever sat on a S4RS? Or considered a BMW?

·
Registered
185 Posts
flyinlow said:
I came from a VFR to a Tuono and the riding position on the Tuono is much better. I think the RS would also be better than the VFR. My Tuono also handles as well as my VFR did.
Hey RoteEddie, Flyinlow is right the Tuono is better. I am speaking from experience on all three. I owned 2 VFRs in the past along side monsters - awesome bikes. Now I own a 95 Monster 900, 2000 996 and a FJR 1300.

Tuono along with a Brutale to me have the best street bike positions - which is why I made my monster bar higher and narrower (I put a 1 inch bar riser and also chopped off 1" inch off the bar on both sides). The result is a copy of brutale more so than the tuono (the Tuono is wider). The Tuono is an awesome bike - it is a truer sport bike than a monster - it is just a mille with normal bar and less plastic. But the S4RS is without a doubt better looking IMHO. So buy what appeals to you and the riding position can easily be fixed.

Comfort on the monster is just a bar riser + chop the bar narrow + sargent/dpgel/corbin/or what ever custom seat away + rearsets if you are tall.

·
Registered
42 Posts
VFR: Very boring

S4RS: Grin and exciting.

The 2 bikes do not even compare.
S4RS is more comfortable than the VFR

BUT the VFR is more reliable (except for some minor regulator overheating issues). Nothing beats a Honda for reliability and quality control. My RC 51 is proof. More power than the Duc and no trips or extended stays at the dealer's service department.

A friend of mine has a Tuono and it is very comfortable but does not handle like a S4RS. It is also more reliable than the S4RS.

If I was going to have only one bike in my garage, I would not get the Ducati.

Phil
07 S4RS
05 RC 51

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
S4RS is more comfortable than the VFR
I have to take issue with this statement. The ride quality on the S4RS and handling is probably better but...

Like the other posters said I find the S4RS seat uncomfortable, so consider purchasing the DP gel seat. Also compared with my M1000 the S4RS vibrates high frequency through the bars that just numbs my hands at slower cruising speeds. (Around 70mph). Could just be my bike. Increase the speed slightly and the problem goes away.

Although you didn't ask, the S4RS tank range is only around 100-110 miles, could be an issue

I find the screen adequate, consider getting a fairing brace to stop it flapping around. Don' expect to be able to cruise a 100mph for extended periods, your neck is gonna hurt if you do.

Why buy a Ducati, well it is a missile, the fastest bike I have ever rode, it rewards spirited riding .

If you are looking for touring and owned a VFR what about an ST3s that has the Ohlins suspension too, should give you that Ducati V-twin feels also

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
So much of this is subjective, so you might want to go demo an s*r monster and see for yourself.

100 + cruise? I think no problems with comfort. Bike likes 110 cruise with no issues of comfort. Just did one tank of gas in under one hour each way to an event last Sunday. Superslab sucks, but it will do it fine. May depend on what gear you wear while riding. Well fit leathers and a good helmet go a long way to comfort at speed with little wind protection.

Bars? I'm going with lower clipons this winter, but the biggest wrist and hand saver for the stock bar is to rotate the controls down. The position the brake and clutch lever are in as stock to me are too high and I believe cause much of the wrist and hand complaints.

Fairing? it flaps around sure, but you can get pretty low out of the wind.

It's no sport tourer. 100 miles at a time and then gas feels fine.

But it's also no highway bike.

Absolutely zero problems with mine to date. Less time in the shop than the last Honda. Everyone has a different story to tell.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the input. The intended use are only twisty roads here on the westcoast of Norway. Tankrange is a concern but no problem in reality, just annoying having to stop for fuel twice as often as with the vfr.

I have now a scheduled ride on a S2R 1000 friday :)

·
Registered
977 Posts
Lots of good info here, but no-one answered your question about aftermarket fairings. Givi makes a few different models. Some even come in Ducati paint. Their are other brands available too. I wouldn't worry about the riding position, it can be tweeked until you are happy. I tour with my monster, no problem. I can't imagine riding a bike 300 miles without a break. Why do touring rides if your not going to stop once in a while to smell the flowers. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.