Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, after five weeks of down time, my dealer was able to get my S4Rs to run with a full Termigoni exhaust system. The dealer's DDS broke down, and then they ordered a new one. They had problems getting the new one from Ducati. Finally, they borrowed one from another dealer and was able to finish the work. I want to thank Shadowchaser for the following input:

1. Set the air fuel setting on the servo/stepper motors

2. Use a bridge CO monitor in conjunction with the DDS to set both cylinders @ 3.9

3. Make the adjustment via the DDS using the 999s model. The S4Rs model will not facilitate the adjustments to the CO stepper motor.

The bike runs really strong. But I think the fuel mixture may be running somewhat rich so I anticipate really crummy gas milage. But that's the price one pays for this kind of performance.

There also seems to be some fitment issues with how the two exhaust pipes line up with each other. I would have thought Termignoni would have taken this into consideration before releasing this exhaust for sale. They need to redesign a new mounting bracket for the S4Rs.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
I had similar fitment issues when I installed my full Termi system but all was resolved when I hung the whole system loosly & I mean loosly before final tightening. Start by installing only the headpipes to the center section. Before torquing the flange bolts use a tapered punch to line up the collector mount and loosely start the bolt. I then attached the tailipes and the silencers and once again used the tapered punch to jostle and align the bracket to the frame hole. All the while every single frikken bolt, even the silencer bracket where it attaches to the silencers was left installed but very loose. Once both mount bolts were engaged you then start tightening from front to back all the while "JOSTLING" everything while you go. Once tight take time to ensure that no exhaust parts other than head pipe flanges and mont bolts are touching machine hard parts. WHEW [clap] One note on the flange mounts, progressively tightening up to final torque in a cross pattern will ensure a leak-proof seal. I even re-used my old flange gaskets. They only had 200 miles on them. After all this the Termi system fit PERFECT!!! I am a professional Jet Aircraft mechanic and I must say that installing these pipes was as challenging as installing a main fuel delivery tube on a Pratt & Whitney PW4000 Jet Engine! While I'm at it I found removing the stock pipes almost more of a rubicks cube than the install. Any questions I'd be happy to reply.

Doug

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
With a "factory backed upgrade" there has been way too many issues. If i'm going to have issues I'll wait until someone makes the pipe ( one per side) I like . Thanks for the info

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Unfortunately most pf the issues have been with the dealers' setting them up, not the actual parts.

Yes, the fitment is finnicky, but even with the original hanger it can be spot on with some time invested. There have been two instructional posts here about how to make the cans parallel with clear instructions.

I agree the running issues are a problem, but nothing has been tied to the Termi kit and much has been applied to the techs not taking the time or not having the know how to set it up.

How many posts have there been saying once the dealer did what was stated here the bike runs great?

Too many problems?

I'm going out riding while the Mid-Atlantic weather is doing it's 60s thing. That's where I'm having problems... impending winter.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dealer issue is valid. When you have too few dealers that are too far apart, you're at their mercy. Limited competition is usually not a good thing and may often result in poor workmanship and lack of attention to detail. I have heard stories of people having to drive 5 hours because they weren't happy with their dealer who was more local.

Case in point, if you're not happy with your Honda dealer you can drive a mile down the road to another dealer, not so with Ducati.

I also, believe that Termignoni should take some responsibility to insure that their dealers are trained on how to properly setup and install the exhaust. It's just my opinion, I could be wrong.....

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tooljunkie

I took your advice and loosened up everything I could to readjust the alignment of the exhaust. I could only loosen the pipes to a certain point (the dealer did thee inital install). I had marginal luck doing this. I got it as good as I could get it and then used spacers to finish the job. With the help of the spacers, it is pretty much right on. The cans are parallel and the tips are lined up at the correct angle to each other.I am satisified with the way it turned out. It looks good!!!!!

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Re: S4Rs and Termignoni Exhaust Problems Finally Resolved, But Fitment is an Iss

I recieved an updated hanger from my dealer and it was worse than the original. With a little time and careful attention to detail, I got mine to fit perfectly with the original hanger. As you tighten and align the cans, have a 3/4" board between the cans. This keeps them in line with one another as you chinch everything down.

La

·
Registered
498 Posts
Re: S4Rs and Termignoni Exhaust Problems Finally Resolved, But Fitment is an Iss

Glad to have been able to help a brother out. ;)

Your gonna love it this first chance you really get to air her out. >:D

Rich is a BITCH :p, but Lean is MEAN! :mad:

Safe rides Bro! [clap]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts