Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed an Arrow steering damper on an S4Rs. The mounts were specific to the S4Rs. Guess what, the damper hits the tank. I remember reading on DML that others have had the same problem. Of course, I remembered this too late to keep from getting a small paint chip on the tank. I have a few ideas on how to keep the damper from hitting the tank. Does anyone with an S4Rs and an Arrow damper have a specific solution? I am interested in first hand experience.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
From the pics that I have seen, the resovoir portion of the damper is the only part tha tmight hit. You can loosen the clamp that holds the damper and rotate the unit so it's on the foward facing side. If you would post a pic, maybe from a riding perspective, I or others could opine and comment [thumbsup].

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, both sides of the damper hit the gas tank. You can limit the damage by adjusting the turning radius stops on the bike. This limits the turning radius of the bike while at the same time limiting the left and right swing of the damper, thus limiting the contact with the gas tank. I'm thinking of some kind of spacer/riser to give more clearance. The damper is mounted on some kind of 'gimbal" (I think) and rubber spacer which is flexible, giving play in the damper. The damper is mounted on the stock handlebar riser, but with not enough clearance to avoid contact with the gas tank. I think Arrow could have avoided this problem by making their riser 1/4 inch taller eliminating this design flaw.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
I can't help w/o seeing a pic of how you have it mounted. Does it look like this?:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it looks like your picture, but for whatever reason it looks like you have much more clearance than I have (the damper seems to be mounted higher). When the handlebars are turned lock to lock, I have about 1/4 inch of clearance between the damper and the gas tank on either side after making adjustment to the turning radius. The reservoir part of the damper with the yellow Arrow logo actually rested on the tank before I made my initial adjustments. I had the dealer check for proper installation and it seems to be done correctly. I'm wondering if I was supplied with the wrong mounting bracket.

After looking at your picture again, my damper looks like yours, with the same clearance, when the handlebars are in the straigh-a-head position. I only have problems when I turn the bars to the full left or right position.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
I've got the same Arrows damper on my S4Rs and it should fit just like in Carreraplatter's picture. With the steering stops set stock from the factory and the damper centered in the clamp properly, it should have about 1/4" clearance on both sides.
ama

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: S4Rs and Arrow Steering Damper Fitment Problems..... And Solution!

My solution to the problem was to use two 3/8L flat faucet washers from HomeDepot on each of two connecting point. This keeps the same relative position for the damper and keeps it parallel to the gas tank while at the same time allowing for flexibility at the pivot points. I got two longer stainless steel 6mm hex bolts at West Marine which allows for the additional 1/4" washers. The damper looks like it has a 1/4" black riser and it really doesn't look bad. Either the dealer ordered the wrong riser or Arrow sent the wrong one.

I wish I'd known this before I got my microscopically small ding in my gas tank which I will have have "Dent Time" remove.

·
Registered
153 Posts
sometimes if you flip the damper bracket around it can give you more clearaence. the part that slides on to the damper.

we have sold and installed about 6 of them and they are close to the tank. you sometimes have to hold the damper forward while putting the tank up, but they have not hit the tank when in the down/normal/riding position. you might have to limit your steering by adjusting the steering stops.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hallwood, as you have indicated with your experience on six damper installions, then the issue is a poor design problem from Arrow which the company needs to address. The washer solution fixes the problem without having to pull the damper forward when you park the bike and doesn't look bad either. This in addition to adjusting the steering stops gives more clearance. Thanks for the info on your six installs; I thought it was a problem specific to me. Glad to know it isn't.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I would actualy guess that the instructions picture the bracket backwards by mistake.
if the bracket is installed with the pinch bolts facing as the instructions, the damper does indeed come close to the tank. If the bracket is reversed (from the instructions photo) you have plenty of clearance.
the photo (arrows) does not show the damper on a bike. I would guess that the guy taking the photo assumed that it wouldnt matter.
cheers

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
There is no design FLAW in the kit.

Mine fitted just perfect, I just kept it loose and ajusted so it was not toughing the tank [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Paul C

My dampers looks exactly like yours when installed. Without the spacers I fabricated the damper hits on both the left and right side. Hallwood has installed six dampers and had issues with all of them. There are too many people saying they are having problems for me to discount. There has to be something we're missing in our installation.

Ducvet

Can you clarify what you mean? Look at Paul C's pictures and tell me if you think his installation is what you are describing because mine looks exactly like his but I hit on both sides.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took a closer look at Paul C's pictures and reread Ducvet's comments and I think my installation is different from Paul C's. The pinch bolts' hex screws are facing my speedometer and on Paul C's picture it looks like the hex screws are oriented pointing toward the gas tank. Tomorrow I will turn the pinch bolt and see what happens. Thanks guys....This may have solved the problem (I'll bet on it). I'll report back.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Paul.C said:
There is no design FLAW in the kit.

Mine fitted just perfect, I just kept it loose and ajusted so it was not toughing the tank [thumbsup]

You should rotate your reservoir forward so you can lift you tank.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: S4Rs and Arrow Steering Damper Fitment Problems.....Problem Solved

Ducvet and Paul C are right on. When mounted properly I have 1/4" clearance on each side when the steering stops are set to the stock position. I don't know if was a documentation problem or just faulty reading on my part. If you guys ever get to San Diego, look me up, I owe you a couple of beers.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Re: S4Rs and Arrow Steering Damper Fitment Problems.....Problem Solved

crashdown said:
Ducvet and Paul C are right on. When mounted properly I have 1/4" clearance on each side when the steering stops are set to the stock position. I don't know if was a documentation problem or just faulty reading on my part. If you guys ever get to San Diego, look me up, I owe you a couple of beers.
Hey, I'm in San Diego. Do I get a beer for providing useless information?

E

·
0 Posts
FHE here with the damper hitting the tank. You have to adjust the steering stops to avoid further damage.

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
silentbob said:
You should rotate your reservoir forward so you can lift you tank.

[laugh] I did find I had that problem a few weeks ago :p

Crashdown,

No probs, if I'm ever in the USA I will take you up on those beers [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

·
Registered
555 Posts
glad to hear things worked out for you. I belive all of the parts are correct but if I remember correctly the instructions show the damper mount to be the reverse of how paulc has his....and paulc is correct in how his are mounted . right parts bad photo in the instuctions.
cheers

1 - 20 of 21 Posts