Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

S4R vs 620.

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  ducatania 
#1 ·
Being as Loris Capirosi was purportedly presented with the first S4R and that he is the fastest GP racer down a straight and has won Ducati's sole MotoGP victory for them. . .why would they take a 620 and commemorate him with it as opposed to a badass red S4R with some cool striping and white pltes,Termignoni shotgun this,carbon fibre billet that,ad lib til fade???Why the dinky monster?(NO offense to 620 owners).A Capirossi S4R would be wicked,even a black model with some type of understated ominous graphics pacgage and an exhaust like the thundering of Zeus.Bah!

#11 ·
For reals,I didn't mean to offend any 620 owners.I mean,if you buy the smallest displacement/size/gauge anything,you know it's the smallest,right?And yeah,Capirex on that 620 could beat a me on his GP4!But - I gotta tell ya,I'd get one WICKED slide out of the mother before before binning it in the kitty litter and get carted away a gibbering fool,broken but sated.

#12 ·
By the way,Elpato,where did you meet Loris to get your Monster signed?!!Capirex is my fave rider in MotoGP,I am soon to buy an S4R and would like to make it a Capirex commemorativo somehow,red with some striping and white plates,maybe his eagle graphhic on one side of the tail.

#13 ·
I think it's called marketing. I'm not sure, but with all of the newbies on the board buying 620's, that would make it Ducati's best seller. Since monster's outsell everything else, that makes the 620 king of the spegetti mound.

Why not enhance your best seller, and make it even more of a cult thing? For 6K, you get people sitting in Starbucks, looking at your bike going, " wow, that's a Ducati? and it's a racer model?" That translates to tons of more bikes being sold on an image enhanced price leader. Very smart! When they are in the store, they may even buy an S4R!

Regards,
Rideon

#15 ·
Ok, we established that very good riders on 620's can beat not-so-good riders in S4R's.

Since unfortunately I am one of the not-so-good riders AND I have a 620, I think I'm at an unfair disadvantage.

Any good rider with an S4R is interested in a trade? :D ;D :D

Posted by: Brokenhill Posted on: Today at 1:42am
"For reals,I didn't mean to offend any 620 owners."

I know, all in good spirits.

#16 ·
By the way,Elpato,where did you meet Loris to get your Monster signed?!!Capirex is my fave rider in MotoGP,I am soon to buy an S4R and would like to make it a Capirex commemorativo somehow,red with some striping and white plates,maybe his eagle graphhic on one side of the tail.
I met him during Irta testing in Jerez Spain. Brought the tail piece with me as it was pissing rain. He was really cool and we talked about our monsters for quite awhile as it was raining. If you meet a Gp rider just talk to them about anything not racing related. Makes them feel normal.

Pato

#17 ·
IIRC, half of all Monsters sold are 620s.

I think it's called marketing. I'm not sure, but with all of the newbies on the board buying 620's, that would make it Ducati's best seller. Since monster's outsell everything else, that makes the 620 king of the spegetti mound.
I guess they are way more popular in Europe (Italy in particular) than on here. ;)
So yeah, it does make sense from a marketing perspective to offer a special edition of your best selling model.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.