Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any guidance you can provide me would be most welcome.

I have decided to buy a new (used) bike and while I really like the S4RS, they are still holding value and are about the same price as a new M1100, $19,000-$22,000.

So I think the smart option is to look for a low milage S4R.

From experience is there much real difference between the two?

I can find a good low milage S4R with most kit fitted for about $11,000. Thats a big difference in price to an S4RS. It the S4RS really $10k better?

I really like the four valve engine, well I really like the power and torque they make anyway.

Cheers, Tony

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I don't know where you are at, or what kind of dollars those are but I just upgraded from a S4 to a S4Rs. (916cc to 999cc).

I sold my s4 for $5k and bought a S4Rs for $9,500. Is the S4Rs worth twice the S4? No.

Riding the bikes is so similar, power is more on the S4Rs, but not so much that you would think that the S4 is lacking. With a S4R vs a S4Rs, it would be even less of a difference.

The ohlins are nice, but for street riding the showa is fine. In fact, the ohlins seem too soft.

Th S4 doesn't have a single sided swingarm, but I prefer the look of the oval termis on both sides of the bike that I had to the termi system on the single sided swingarm bike.

The reason that i upgraded is that I had a dark gray monster with silver frame and swing arm and wanted something with more flash. I got a white / red S4Rs and love the white wheels. I also got a bike with 10k less miles and lots of extras.

The thing that I appreciate every ride on the S4Rs vs my old 2002 S4 is the white speedo face vs the gray one. I could never read the speed quickly on my old bike.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback

Your observations are about what I would have thought.

With the AU dollar the way it is right now I should buy a bike from the US and ship it over.

Juts so you guys can get a sense of the difference.

New bike prices on the road ride away are:

M796 ABS $17500
M1100s $23000
Diavel $25500
Diavel Carbon (red) $31500
StreetFighter $26000
Streetfighter S $32000

I have found a cherry S4RS optioned up with 1500 kms for $21000
a S4R with 10,000 kms for $12,000

Compared to an S4RS on the Forums in the US with 5000 miles for $8500 USD, even less for AU dollars now. Even if it cost me $2500 to ship it I would be way in front.

Cheers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I thin there are small tweaks here and there on the S4Rs vs. the S4R that weren't mentioned, but I'm still reading up on them. Most of the differences are on the suspension and brakes. I may have innacurate information below because the 2006 S4Rs was a big difference from the 2006 S4R where the 2007 S4R had a bunch of upgrades such as the newer 999 based motor. The newer 999 motor is easy to spot with the deep oil sump. The oil sump bolt is really low and the oil sump is like an upside down pyramid.

I think...:
--The brakes are different on the Rs version using the superbike R brakes. The fronts are super responsive but the drawback is that you have more pads on each caliper and higher replacement cost.
--The stock exhaust header is slightly larger on the Rs.
--Ohlins has stiffer spring rates but smoother action which can make them feel softer if not adjusted properly; need to spend more time adjusting suspension for perfect feel and once you do, its magic
--Rs has adjustable rear rod link for ride height independant of preload
--Not sure if both motors have superbike 999s cams, probably do
--Rs has lighter wheels from superbike (might be only a 2006 difference)
--All S4R/Rs bikes have smaller throttlebodies than the 999 superbike which drops down the max HP and upper RPM torque

Alltogether, I would not pay double for a Rs, and I would tend to consider importing a bike from the US if it is easy. For that kind of money, I would have a hard time buying a bike sight unseen. Find a trusted friend or take a trip.

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
What is it with the "S4RT"? Are you saying S4R Tricolore? I've only seen a couple of people ever mention an S4RT, there aren't any listed in the archives.

I absolutely adore my S4RS. With 100% certainty I would say if you can swing it, get the bike with the Ohlins. My Paul Smart and my Tricolore both have the Ohlins and I've been fitted for both bikes. What a difference it makes. Sure the Showa may be "good enough", but when you've ridden with the Ohlins it does make a difference. Buttery smooth.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
"T"=Testastretta. There were 2 versions of S4R. 07 got the testa engine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Your observations are about what I would have thought.

With the AU dollar the way it is right now I should buy a bike from the US and ship it over.

Juts so you guys can get a sense of the difference.

New bike prices on the road ride away are:

M796 ABS $17500
M1100s $23000
Diavel $25500
Diavel Carbon (red) $31500
StreetFighter $26000
Streetfighter S $32000

I have found a cherry S4RS optioned up with 1500 kms for $21000
a S4R with 10,000 kms for $12,000

Compared to an S4RS on the Forums in the US with 5000 miles for $8500 USD, even less for AU dollars now. Even if it cost me $2500 to ship it I would be way in front.

Cheers.
Yeah but you won't be able to ride it on the roads here as the frame won't have a compliance plate etc, you'll never get it ADR'd. That's why we get so screwed on bike prices over here. Importing a race bike is fine though ;)

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I got a great deal on a S4RS tri, with Termi's and some other tasteful additions, for a decent price. Having had multiple Duc's - and now riding an Aprilia, BMW, and Yamaha's (Yeah I know - its one of the race bikes) I'm glad to have a Duc back in the stable. Like anything else - you can upgrade the heck out of them, so it's fun to make it "yours".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts