Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an idea of what the S4R is capable of doing? I don't own it for speed (ok, maybe a little), but it would be nice to have a clue. I haven't had it on the road yet to find out.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I read 160, but I haven't pushed mine there yet. The CHP frowns on that kind of thing. ;D

G

·
I had mine to a 120 or so. But I did not want to cross the 6000 rpm mark. I crossed it for a split second. The bike had more to go by far. I feel the bike could see 150 or so. Maybe 160.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
S4R owner's manual says 240 kph, 149 mph.

S4 owner's manual says 225 kph, 140 mph.

S4R has 12 more HP, but that will only get you about halfway from 140 to 149.
Gearing is different, though, so that may be it.

I've had my S4 up to 120, but it was only a two-lane road without an ambulance on standby. Plenty fast enough.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
If you can get an unfaired bike to run 150-160mph, NASA is looking for you.

·
Premium Member
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I was looking around and I did see that 160 is the rated top speed. I doubt I'll ever see that though. I've done 140 on my old 500 Ninja, and that was good enough for me. I'd rather enjoy riding than watch the rest of you riding from some other place. [smiley=dead.gif]

I think you're right Norm. A naked bike going 160 mph would be pretty tough when not in a true vacuum.

G

·
Ok SpeedDog and Norm,

If 140mph is the top speed for the stock S4, how did I get 145 with 14teeth on the front?

I have been 140 2-3 times, but the 145mph I was running beside an R1 on a slight (very slight) incline and he said he hit 150.

BTW, Leo Vinci slip-ons, K&N air filter.
And no windshield.

Chris

G

·
The system used is GPS based and uses a correction factor accurate to with in 9 inches.Using the system invovles a known time to travel known distance and using these two figures an average speed can be calculated.It wont provide an absolute maximum speed but depending on the distance used for the calculation , it will be pretty close.

G

·
If you can get an unfaired bike to run 150-160mph, NASA is looking for you.

<belly laughing> excellent!

as for verifying actual vs. indicated I have always offered the Trooper my indicated speed and ask if his radar was recently calibrated

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I don't know guys, some of those quoted speeds seem so silly - maybe we should take some bets. My aeronautical degree is pretty old, but I don't think the basics have changed much. 164?????? hahaha!!!

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Ok SpeedDog and Norm,

If 140mph is the top speed for the stock S4, how did I get 145 with 14teeth on the front?

I have been 140 2-3 times, but the 145mph I was running beside an R1 on a slight (very slight) incline and he said he hit 150.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
I've seen 135+ mph several times on my speedo. With definitely more to go.

Not sure how tightly they integrate :), but the digital odometer on my bike is as close to being exact as I could imagine. Coming home from Laguna Seca two years ago, it hit every mile post right-on-the-money. If there was a sign that said X junction was 189 miles, I was at X junction at an indicated 189 miles. Every time. It was remarkable.

So I tend to believe my speedo now.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
I tend to agree with the speedo error.. the higher the speed, the higher the margin of error...

my car speedo had a recent error-check by a friendly Highway Patrol officer.. I thought I was going 84.. he got me for 82... and I'd always thought I was driving a precision built automobile.. so the time that I thought I went 155 was probably really 150.. bummer.

I got 120+ on the Duc (620ie) speedo.. I think that's higher than what the manual says... so it probably reads a bit high

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
The ONLY thing that a dyno 'speed' reading means is, at best, that your bike is capable of doing that speed with the gearing it's got, IF it has enough horsepower.

The dyno has no way of knowing the frontal area or aerodynamic drag characteristics of your bike, and you.
So it can't calculate or simulate the top speed capability of your bike.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I've hit 138mph indicated on my '03 M800.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts