Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm feeling that I'd like to try a steering damper on my bike, I haven't had any slappers yet, but I've defintly had head shakes around bumpy corners-- As of a month or two ago, the choices seemed limited to DP, ohlins (side mounted) or Matris. Is this still the case ? I'd prefer a top mounted unit if possible and I'm wondering if its really probable to get DP parts in a timely fashion? Can any s4r owners with dampers comment ? One dealer just told me he couldn't recomend Matris ???

O

·
0 Posts
i own a S4 and have the ohlins mounted on the side. i've had nothing but good luck with this set up. ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm feeling that I'd like to try a steering damper on my bike, I haven't had any slappers yet, but I've defintly had head shakes around bumpy corners-- As of a month or two ago, the choices seemed limited to DP, ohlins (side mounted) or Matris. Is this still the case ? I'd prefer a top mounted unit if possible and I'm wondering if its really probable to get DP parts in a timely fashion?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe head shake is too strong of a word for what I feel. And I'm not sure that a SD will improve it or not. I'm more interested in safety than I am adding another mod to my bike. I'm not trying to start a to have a damper or not discussion either :). I'm willing to fork out the $$ to give it a try...can always take it off if its ineffective.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I to am in the market for a damper. I was considering the Matris. Can you tell me why the dealer would not recommend it? I thought it looked the muts nuts on the two bros site. Is it a piece of shite or what? Please let me know.

pato

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I to am in the market for a damper. I was considering the Matris. Can you tell me why the dealer would not recommend it? I thought it looked the muts nuts on the two bros site. Is it a piece of shite or what? Please let me know.

pato
It was someone from Motostrano, he just said he'd heard bad things about them. I asked what bad things and he mumbled something about leaking. I guess I didnt give it too much credibility.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
remember, unless you get some kind of custom mount,
the ohlins requires one of the fork legs to be dropped
(or the upper triple comes off). not a huge problem, but
it is a little more involved than a simple bolt-on. i have
a hyperpro (side mount) on the 851. you might look
around and see if they make any kits for the monster.
it seems to work fine, and the hardware is top quality.

R

·
0 Posts
Have been told that the DP S4R Damper kit in not yet available and Ducati will not give any dates, I have the Matris Top mount Fitted Looks the business and does settle the shakes
Down on bumpy roads, if you have the spare cash it

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also have the Matris damper for the S4R. So far, it works fine and no leaks. I did have only one issue with the installation. The kit is top mounted and comes with new longer bolts. One of the bolts was a little too long and hit the bolt for the triple clamp on the underside. After shortening the bolt by three threads, it works just fine.

I had a Scott's damper on my R1 and it was great. I liked the fact that it was speed sensitive and could be set to stiffen the steering when it sensed quick movements of the handlebar, but otherwise it remained as stiff as the initial setting and didn't interfere with steering. I haven't found the Matris dampter to work the same. It seems to just provide a set amount of resistance, which is unaltered by the speed of handlebar movement or force upon the handlebar.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has anyone tried to adapt the Scott to an S4R?

cracker
I seem to remember a thread before stating that the Scotts will not fit on an s4r and that there was no interest in making one that did.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
well, it's a year since the last post in this thread, so I'm looking for any updates. I'm looking at Arrow, Ohlins, Matris and Hyperpro. Leaning towards the Arrow or Matris because I'd prefer top mount. Any thoughts, advice on sources (Arrow is $610 at Proitalia - ouch, no US source for Matris that I can see)

Thanks,

Adrian

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
if you'd started in apr. 04, you could have almost had the ohlins
installed by now.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
another s4r owner considering a damper..

why no mention of Arrow in this thread? i was under the impression that was a solid choice and (relatively) easy to install

·
Banned
522 Posts
I have Matris installed. I got it from Carpimoto. It is speed sensitive, contrary to the remark above, and of excellent quality and craftsmanship. The Arrow damper looks suspiciously similar to the Matris, and I would not be surprised if it was just re-badged Matris. From all I read about Matris, the company has very good reputation for quality products, and my experience with it installed is only positive. No more head shake on hard acceleration :)

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Boris said:
I have Matris installed. I got it from Carpimoto. It is speed sensitive, contrary to the remark above, and of excellent quality and craftsmanship. The Arrow damper looks suspiciously similar to the Matris, and I would not be surprised if it was just re-badged Matris. From all I read about Matris, the company has very good reputation for quality products, and my experience with it installed is only positive. No more head shake on hard acceleration :)

Thanks - that seems to be a good price for it. Looks like you installed it with the reservoir facing down. Can you lift the tank that way without removing the damper?

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
EvilSteve said:
Maybe a dumb question (and slightly off topic) but why do they say not S2r dark? ???

Dan
From Ducati.com: "The essential look of the Dark version S2R comes from its understated classic matte black finish and traditional steel handlebars. " The S2R and S4R use a tapered Magura alloy bar, which I believe has a different top triple. Check out the Matris for other Monsters, as I think the steel bars used on the Dark are probably used on other Monsters.

aj

·
Banned
522 Posts
aj said:
Thanks - that seems to be a good price for it.  Looks like you installed it with the reservoir facing down.  Can you lift the tank that way without removing the damper?
You can position the reservoir down or forward. In either position the tank can be lifted w/o removing the damper.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts